Menu

MUS for a STEM student?

We used MUS from K through Algebra. I have a degree in math, fwiw. I thought MUS was strong and solid in the elementary years (with the exception of word problems which we supplemented using Singapore's Challenging Word Problems). I wanted to use it for high school, but decided after Algebra that it was not up to par. That was 4 years ago, and it has been improved on since then, though I'm still not convinced. Algebra 1 did not teach quadratic equations, which is standard in Algebra 1. I don't think the newest edition has it either, but I could be wrong. It was my understanding that they incorporated the Honors portions into the standard text. We used MUS Algebra along with LoF Algebra. MUS was easy-peasy. LoF was challenging, but did not fit ds's learning style.

OTOH, I have seen threads about MUS success, though I can't find them easily.

Here are a 2 prior threads:

MUS through highschool?

MUS in High School

HTH!

We tried MUS Geometry this year. My math challenged older son said it is too easy. :glare: Not a good sign.

I would not use it for anyone wanting a STEM career. It is a good program but not for someone who wants of delve into math or science as a career.

That is my humble opinion and limited experience.

We will not be using any other MUS programs. We used Math Relief for Algebra I and will using it again for Algebra II. Math Relief doesn't have a complete Geometry program, so that is why we tried MUS.

This is an often discussed topic and I read every thread that I catch when it comes up. The vast majority of the time, the feedback can be broken down into the following:

1. I used MUS all the way through and my students did fine/well/great when they took SAT/ACT or college math courses. I'm so glad we stuck with it.

2. I decided that MUS wasn't enough and I switched to A, B, or C.

Interestingly enough, I've only very rarely seen messages like the following:

3. We used MUS in high school and really wish we had used something else. My students did poorly on college testing or college math courses.

Personally, we do use MUS and plan to continue through high school. DH and I both have technical degrees and expect similar for our DC.

Pegasus

This is an often discussed topic and I read every thread that I catch when it comes up. The vast majority of the time, the feedback can be broken down into the following:

1. I used MUS all the way through and my students did fine/well/great when they took SAT/ACT or college math courses. I'm so glad we stuck with it.

3. We used MUS in high school and really wish we had used something else. My students did poorly on college testing or college math courses.

Personally, we do use MUS and plan to continue through high school. DH and I both have technical degrees and expect similar for our DC.

Pegasus

:iagree:

Love, love MUS. Did the switching thing with my oldest two. Sticking with this all the way through. We are looking at LOF this summer as a review for MUS Algebra 1. That is more challenging? Give me a break!

Pegasus

Love, love MUS. Did the switching thing with my oldest two. Sticking with this all the way through. We are looking at LOF this summer as a review for MUS Algebra 1. That is more challenging? Give me a break!

:iagree::iagree: We are using MUS through Calc too----love it!! We use LOF as a supplement because it's interesting and give more explanations for the 'whys' of math. But I don't think it's more challenging at all, and neither does my son. We are absolutely loving the MUS Alg2 program this year!

We did MUS + LoF Algebra 1 together, but I think LoF for summer review is a better idea. It is more challenging.

This is what we do and the kids do find LOF challenging after doing the same level of MUS. They don't learn a lot of new material, but they are required to think more, apply their knowledge to more challenging problems. LOF makes great summer math review so we can hit the ground running in the fall.