Menu

Throwing up bright yellow

My son was throwing up a lot this morning and then he slept and then he threw up some more and it was a bright yellow liquid. I don't think he ate anything that was bright colored. What does this mean? (He already has an acid reflux problem and throws a lot sometimes.)

He has a dr.'s appointment this afternoon but she never says much and just tells us to take him to emergency (which I really don't want to do).

He has since drank water and a bit of electrolyte solution. He did not eat much breakfast. He doesn't want to eat but should I give him something later? This is what I have: turkey wraps or greek salad or cheese ravioli pockets without sauce or bread (toaster broken) or a banana. I don't have chicken or chicken soup.

I am worried. This problem of reflux and vomiting has been going on for months. We went to a gastroenterologist and he has him going for a Nuclear Medicine Gastric Emptying Study but won't follow up for several months. Is this test safe? Are there any risks?

I feel at a loss with how to help my child and very alone.

SOunds like he was vomitting bile. See if you can get his acids down with whatever they have suggested.

Toast the bread under the broiler, flipping half way to make him toast.

You want to keep his diet bland bland bland and the greek salad and cheese ravioli are not good for that.

He's throwing up stomach bile. It just means that there isn't any 'food' left in there to throw up. From that alone, I wouldn't think he needed to go to the emergency room, just keep giving him fluids so he doesn't get dehydrated.

I did this all. the. time. while pregnant. Every morning in fact. :(

Sorry for your sweet boy, that is really the pits.

It can be mucus, that's the most common thing. A kid has so much post nasal drip (or whatever) they can throw it up. Has he been stuffed up at all, or had a sore throat, been snoring, anything like that? It's definitely that time of year.

Also, it can be stomach acidy type stuff. This happened to me when I was deathly ill years ago in the hospital. Your stomach gets to the point where this is nothing left but acid to throw up.

:grouphug:

Don't give him any of the foods you listed except maybe the banana. The rest are too rich. Toast or rice might be nice to hep absorb the bile. Toast the bread in the oven. Mostly with stomach bugs keep hydrated and don't feed the bug or the vomiting will just continue. If he doesn't want to eat, don't force food. Do make sure he sips water every hour.

A couple of mine do that in the morning when they haven't had enough to eat the night before. It stops once they've eaten something substantial (I would second the advice to choose something bland, like cereal).

There is some discussion of it here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352067

ETA: You might also look at this link -- the thing listed as a mysterious "disease" sounds like it's probably what's going on with mine, though I haven't spoken to their Dr. about it.

Ketotic Hypoglycemia

They don't seem extremely lethargic when this happens, but everything else fits. Maybe I should keep a glucose meter on hand to get a reading if it happens again.

Edited by Eleanor

I did the same thing with.morning sickness when I had not eaten yet. Both of my kids did when they had a 24 hour stomach bug and their stomachs were empty. Have him SIP water, if he keeps that down, change to something like pedialyte (7up always helps me). If he keeps that down try bread or crackers. Jello is another of my favorite tummy foods.

My doctor always says to add foods slowly a bite or two at a time as they are able to keep food down.

Thanks! I think this is more likely bile than mucus because it was such a bright color. He more often has these episodes at night so that would rule out Ketotic Hypoglycemia, would it not?

I don't know why he throws up. Last night he had a bowel movement that smelled bad.

He still does not want food but I will try banana and toast later.

And, once he starts feeling better please try an elimination diet. Acid reflux is often a bodies way of saying' "please don't eat that.". Dairy is the most likely culprit for reflux. Wheat/wheat gluten is the second. You could have him blood and stool tested for Celiacs.

SOunds like he was vomitting bile. See if you can get his acids down with whatever they have suggested.

Toast the bread under the broiler, flipping half way to make him toast.

You want to keep his diet bland bland bland and the greek salad and cheese ravioli are not good for that.

:iagree:

And, once he starts feeling better please try an elimination diet. Acid reflux is often a bodies way of saying' "please don't eat that.". Dairy is the most likely culprit for reflux. Wheat/wheat gluten is the second. You could have him blood and stool tested for Celiacs.

you don't have to have celiac to be gluten intolerant. the blood test most dr's use only tests for celiac - so just because you're dr says your child doesn't have celiac does NOT mean they aren't gluten intolerant.

Yes those test are completely in accurate for many people. Especially small people who haven't had as much damage to their bodies yet. I just thought if you are into testing for stuff you might consider it.

If it were me:tongue_smilie: I would reschedule all the tests for a month from now. And, start an elimination diet right away. But, that would be me. I'm just sayin.