Menu

Incoming 2nd Grade Son is a Struggling Writer

SandraK

What writing program would you veteran homeschoolers recommend for a 7yo incoming 2nd grader who struggles with writing and composition and spelling retention?

He can read highschool level books and can retell the gist of the story, although not in great detail. He CAN write, but doesn't have the patience to actually sit down long enough to write a complete sentence. Worksheets BORE him to death. He loves any work that he can do on the computer. He is great at Math and LOVES Science.

He has trouble coming up with ideas of his own and writing them down.

I was thinking of starting him on Explode the Code just for the grammar and spelling. I like that the worksheets are short without too many problems on them. And mix in some Beyond the Code to challenge his writing.

Currently we do spelling lists where I write the list of words and then he copies it on a dry erase board and spells out each word orally. About once a week I have him copy out bible verses that I write into his journal. I write on top and he copies on the line below it.

Are there any other writing programs that you would recommend for an Audio/Visual learner like my son?

Thanks!

Sandra

We use the Explode the Code series, and love it, but it doesn't seem to be very grammar-heavy to me yet. Maybe we're just not far enough into it? If you have a bit of money left in your homeschooling budget, we use the Explode the Code online companion. I LOVE that, but I'm not sure I would have spent the money initially- it was given as a gift. But now I cannot imagine not renewing it for the upcoming year.

I agree with trying WWE, it's been a nice system for my reluctant-writer of a son. We like All About Spelling a lot for the spelling- it's done mostly with magnet letter tiles on a large white board. The written spelling "tests" seem to be pretty optional. But they've become my son's favorite thing, for some reason, so we like it. :D

I think your spelling and copywork choices are wonderful. I think it is entirely normal for a 7 yo to have a hard time grasping spelling even if he can read at a high school level. Just keep on plugging away at it.

I don't think Explode the Code would do much for his grammar or spelling skills.

You may want to look at First Language Lessons or Shurley Grammar. Both will help with grammar skills.

At that age I had my kids write 1 sentence a day. Everyday as we wrote that sentence, we talked about the five things that make a sentence a sentence--capital letter at beginning, period at end, subject, verb, and does it make sense. If he can't come up with an idea about what to write about, provide one for him. Ask ?s. What did we do at the park yesterday? Look at this postcard/picture and ask what do you see.

Spend a good year or so writing sentences. Once he learns how to write a basic statement, move on to a question, ect. After that he will be ready to work on paragraphs. And then around 4th or 5th or even 6th grade, he can move onto putting paragraphs together to form a paper.

No need to push a composition when his mind is still trying to wrap around the concept of forming sentences.

Edited by missmoe

I would expect a 6yo to "struggle" with writing, and to have difficulty coming up with ideas of his own and writing them down. Children this young are still learning skills such as what a sentence is and how to punctuate and capitalize it. :-)

Understanding Writing is very good at helping children learn to write.

Have you listened to SWB's elementary writing lecture?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/elementary-grades-mp3.html

I would definitely start there.

I can't really understand labeling a 7 year old as a struggling writer.

Writing is just the one area where he struggles. It is worse than pulling teeth for me to get him to sit down and write a full sentence at one time. I know it's mostly his age and that he is a wiggly boy. I just want ideas on how to help him get beyond the frustration of writing...even if it's just writing a few words a day and then growing that into writing sentences. In Kindergarten he attending a public charter school and they did lots of worksheets which were boring and the whole situation became very frustrating for him and he put up a mental block when it came to writing because of it. It took me half of this school year to get him confident in himself enough to do copywork. So now I am looking for ideas to encourage him to start writing simple sentences on his own. That is my goal for 2nd grade. That is why I thought Explode the Code would be good for him. Just writing a handful of words everyday and reading the brief illustrations in the workbooks would be entertaining for him and hopefully get him comfortable with writing more and more words without even realizing it. Then once he is comfortable with Explode the Code, I would move on to writing sentences. Does that all make sense?

Thanks for the suggestions ladies! I have looked at them all briefly. So far I really like First Language Lessons for my son. Can anyone recommend any good programs that have color pictures in the workbooks?Keep the suggestions coming please.