Menu

Are Stanford or Iowa achievement test scores predictors of SAT or ACT performance?

What I mean is this: If I have a high school student who does well on the Stanford tests (percentile rank around 97 in basic/complete battery), should I expect he will also do well on ACTs or SATs?

(FWIW, up until a couple of years ago, we used Iowa tests, and the scores were similar.)

I'd appreciate hearing if your students' standardized test scores did or did not line up with their SAT/ACT scores.

Thanks!

So far, only my oldest has taken the SAT. Her verbal results lined up with her prior standardized tests but her math results were a little lower. She did find the SAT much more difficult - much more! - than the CAT test she took last month.

Hth.

with my oldest daughter, her percentile rankings on the Stanford and Iowa tests were fairly similar to her scores on the PSAT and ACT tests.

However, be aware that the Stanford and Iowa tests tend to test all kids of a particular age group, if that school district is using those particular tests. The SAT's, ACT's, and PSAT's, on the other hand, tend to rank only college-bound kids to other college-bound kids, so it's possible that a student might not perform as well on those college entrance exams as they did on the Stanford or Iowa tests.

Doing some prep. work for any of the college entrance exams is helpful. We used Barron's PSAT guide for preparation for the PSAT last fall, but I may get The Rocket Review Revolution Guide for the PSAT for my oldest for this fall. We used The Real ACT Prep. Guide for the ACT she just took in June, and I also just purchased Chalkdust's SAT Math Review DVD's. I think those will help her review for either the SAT or ACT tests. The ACT test is more prevalent in the Midwest.

Liza, I do believe that the Stanford and Iowa tests tend to be more difficult than the CAT tests; at least that's what I've heard.

HTH!

Liza, I do believe that the Stanford and Iowa tests tend to be more difficult than the CAT tests; at least that's what I've heard.

Yes, I have heard the same thing. I use the CAT because it is inexpensive and easy to administer and the state requires yearly testing. I must admit that I barely look at the results - I have been much more interested in the PSAT/SAT :)

Well, that explains why there was a discrepancy in the math scores.

While I think there's definitely some correlation, I do find it necessary to prep for the SAT (which, given our results, we need to take a leeetle more seriously around here;) ). The way the questions are worded is often very tricky. There are test taking techniques specific to the SAT. I'm not sure about the ACT--my feeling is it isn't as unfair a test. Yep, I said unfair. I abhor tests that intentionally try to trick kids.

While I think there's definitely some correlation, I do find it necessary to prep for the SAT (which, given our results, we need to take a leeetle more seriously around here;) ). The way the questions are worded is often very tricky. There are test taking techniques specific to the SAT. I'm not sure about the ACT--my feeling is it isn't as unfair a test. Yep, I said unfair. I abhor tests that intentionally try to trick kids.

Chris, my son would definitely agree with you on the tricky factor. He much prefers the ACT, but he has also told me that he does NOT think the ACT is in any way easier. He'd also agree that there are some quirks to SAT prep that don't apply to ACT prep.

My guess is the OP should see similar patterns with regard to weak/strong areas or subjects, but might see moderately lower percentile scores on the ACT/SAT because most of those test-takers are college bound while the earlier tests are taken by a wide range of students. That's been our experience.

I guess I'll *somehow* try to work in prep time for the tests; plan on taking them early so they get more than one try at them; and approach the whole thing with cautious optimism rather than total terror since both kids scored mostly in the 90+ percentiles on the Stanfords they took in May.

Man, this high school stuff ain't easy!

My daugher took the 9th grade level Iowa test this year - it's the ITED (Iowa Test of Educational Development) rather than the ITBS. Her score report came with "predicted score ranges" for the ACT and the SAT. I don't know if these will be accurate, but the SAT scores look reasonable to me. I don't really have a handle on ACT scores yet.

The report says "the score ranges indicate the level of ACT composite, SAT-verbal and SAT-quantitative scores that students with ITED scores like ____'s often attain". The ACT gives a range with a 6 point difference and 120 point range on SAT verbal and a 130 point range on SAT quantitative - so fairly large spreads.

fwiw

Carolyn