Menu

To test or not to test?

Hello!

Hi all, this is my first post! :001_smile:

I'm happy to be posting in this area since this is where I've been lurking the most. :D

My son is obviously dyslexic. He is 13 and a fabulous kid. He works for a vet and wants to be one, loves books on audio and being read aloud to, enjoys doing math with Art of Problem Solving, basically a big love bug.

He reads slowly, doesn't stop for punctuation, no inflection. He can't spell - picnic is "pacnc" and watch is "woch" (gotta love the english language). He can rhyme and does understand syllables.

I gave him a reading test the other day and he tanked on all the first grade and second grade words but did great on the sixth and 8th grade words because he didn't have to sound them out. He had them memorized. Words like "envelope" come easy to him. So do sight words.

Sooooooo we are thinking about testing him so he can have accomodations on the SAT and in college. The testing is $1200 to 1500 and can take 6-9 hours!! Does that sound right with everyone?

I just can't see my lovely, self esteem entact son feeling good after 9 hours of testing his deficiency.

I'm on the fence and I just would love some ideas/thoughts/experiences either way.

THANKS!! :bigear:

Kim

Hello!

Hi all, this is my first post! :001_smile:

I'm happy to be posting in this area since this is where I've been lurking the most. :D

My son is obviously dyslexic. He is 13 and a fabulous kid. He works for a vet and wants to be one, loves books on audio and being read aloud to, enjoys doing math with Art of Problem Solving, basically a big love bug.

He reads slowly, doesn't stop for punctuation, no inflection. He can't spell - picnic is "pacnc" and watch is "woch" (gotta love the english language). He can rhyme and does understand syllables.

I gave him a reading test the other day and he tanked on all the first grade and second grade words but did great on the sixth and 8th grade words because he didn't have to sound them out. He had them memorized. Words like "envelope" come easy to him. So do sight words.

Sooooooo we are thinking about testing him so he can have accomodations on the SAT and in college. The testing is $1200 to 1500 and can take 6-9 hours!! Does that sound right with everyone?

I just can't see my lovely, self esteem entact son feeling good after 9 hours of testing his deficiency.

I'm on the fence and I just would love some ideas/thoughts/experiences either way.

Kim

DS has been NT twice, at ages 8 and just before 12. Both NPs had loads of experience working with students, and the testing was spread out over two days. I called around and spoke with the testers. I also spoke with other moms and had recommendations. DH and I did not stress the testing with our son, and we made sure he was rested and fed. We took snacks and tried to be as relaxed as possible.

For DS, the testing was no big deal. The report and discussion afterwards made the experience worth all the expense and time. DH and I both experienced a total pardigm shift in the way we view intelligence and teaching. Neither of us have regretted the testing DS has received.

DS has been NT twice, at ages 8 and just before 12. Both NPs had loads of experience working with students, and the testing was spread out over two days. I called around and spoke with the testers. I also spoke with other moms and had recommendations. DH and I did not stress the testing with our son, and we made sure he was rested and fed. We took snacks and tried to be as relaxed as possible.

For DS, the testing was no big deal. The report and discussion afterwards made the experience worth all the expense and time. DH and I both experienced a total pardigm shift in the way we view intelligence and teaching. Neither of us have regretted the testing DS has received.

So, if you could sum up in a post :), what was your paradigm shift? :bigear:

Kim

Yes. The testing cost and time are in the ballpark, and about what we ended up paying after insurance.

I actually look at testing in a different way. It will actually reveal information that will help your ds understand himself far more as a learner. I mean everyone has "deficiencies", although I might call them "differences" because they are only deficiencies in certain, limited circumstances. (I mean, I am cooking "deficient"; that deficiency only reveals itself in the kitchen when I must cook). Good testing will also reveal strengths. It will be those strengths that you will want to capitalize as a learner.

For us, testing was a very positive experience. It was also helpful to hear stories about other dyslexic individuals.

The price does sound right--actually, it might even be a little low.

If your son wants to be a vet, he will need, at a minimum, testing accommodations. You have to establish a history of disability well before asking for accommodations from the College Board and now is a good time to do that.

If the evaluator is any good, he or she will *not* make the testing session into something that hurts your son's self esteem. My son (dyslexic as well) has been tested several times, and he always thinks that he did well! Even on tests that show him in the 1st percentile.

Hello and welcome.:)

Who is doing the testing? Is that money for a full-blown neuro-psych evaluation that will explore several areas, with a final report that will give you other recommendations too?

From what I've heard, the accomodations for college tests need to documentaion within only a few years of the test. Since your child is 13, there is time to do some additional remediation work with his reading and spelling before college. I'd suggest you go ahead and get some good testing. If he's dyslexic, he may benefit from Orton-Gillingham methods and there may be other ideas too. A good evaluation at your ds age may have additional recommendations beyond accomodations to help prepare your son for college.

I have heard similar information as "merry gardens". A representative from HSLDA told me to get the testing done at around 9th grade so that it is close to when the SAT/ACT is taken. She said they will not accept testing that is older than just a few years.

My son is 12 (almost 13) and sounds similar to your son, so I'm very interested in this post too. Thank you!

Somebody posted a link on the high school board, and I can't find it in my bookmarks right now. It was to an article about accommodations with the SAT and ACT basically saying that they approved about 80% but made them jump through hoops. They don't want to see just want test but multiple times and documentation of the accommodations you're requesting having been necessary for other tests, other classes, over a period of time.

Not to state the obvious, but the most important reason to get the testing done is for what it will change NOW. Our neuropsych is on the board for our state's dyslexia association, and he brought a ton of knowledge to the table. He went through every single subject with me and talked about how and why and what to expect in the future, what to de-emphasize, etc. With the right psych, you might get helpful info that would change how you do things NOW. He might also be able to connect you with resources you didn't realize were available or wouldn't qualify for without the paper. I also am glad finally to have the paper and something official, because it gives me something to use to get accommodations in the online classes she's trying. Let's me be a little more Tiger Mom, because I know exactly what he said she needs.

It also takes quite a while to get into the really good neuropsychs. It can take 1-3 months (or more!) for many of them. The testing is done over several days, and the amount really varies with the psych. Ours spent 6 hours. That was no OT or other evals. When some places say 9 or 12 hours, they're pulling in SLPs and other people as well. And no, the testing doesn't leave them feeling defective. These people are champions at that. It was something I was very worried about, that our psych would hand me a bunch of numbers and walk away. I didn't want her DISSECTED. I needed help to UNDERSTAND her. He really came through and was able to give me insights into strengths and how she functions as a whole. So I suppose there are psychs who don't do that, but our experience was very whole and affirming. He's sort of a quiet, introvert of a man (even has a couch in his office, haha), but he didn't leave my dd feeling peered at or dissected.

I really think it will be fine for you and better than you expect. The main thing you can do there is just call and TALK with the psych ahead of time. Do you like them? Do they seem understanding, knowledgeable, approachable? Do they sound like they have the ability to talk to your dc on a level that will garner their respect and get their participation? Your ds is bright, so I think you know what I mean. When the dc doesn't respect the person they're working with, it all goes south. So talk with the psych ahead of time. Every single one I called called me back and talked with me enough that I was able to gauge whether they'd be a good fit or not for my dc and whether *I* felt comfortable working with them. It's definitely worth the effort to call them.

Great information OhElizabeth. So how do you go about find "the best" neuropsych in the area? What kind of questions do we ask? I'm so clueless about this.

Well you definitely want to network in your area and see where other homeschoolers are going. That feedback may lead you to someone good or at least tell you who to avoid. ;) Then just start googling your state + dyslexia + neuropsychologist and see what you get. We had a name from our OT, and he's very popular but so popular he's hard to get into. We ended up using the other guy in town that is good friends with him, went to school with him, and to whom the more popular guy said he would send his own kids.

There are lists of neuropsychs doing 2E kids, but in our state at least the ones suggested were sort of a mixed bag. One of them in our state had written a lot of books and they didn't really seem to be on the track of what I needed, more in the realm of how to live a great, fulfilled life when you're a stinkin' smart but oppressed female. Guess how interesting that was to me. :lol: But that's definitely another way to search.

In the end, I decided the imperfect eval with someone I could find and afford was better than nothing at all. That doesn't always turn out to be the case. We've had some horror stories with psychs who were crazy anti-homeschooling, didn't bother to explain anything but just handed the mom a pile of numbers, were stuck on meds to the point of getting nothing else said, etc. So you've got to talk with them ahead and gauge them on all that.

Kim

Well I just tested my 14 year old and the testing experience is quite an ordeal. Your son sounds like mine which means only half of the test will be testing his deficiency. The other half will test his strengths. And you'll get to see the difference. I doubt it will hurt his self esteem. He is probably well aware of his issues and getting a number won't be a huge surprise. It is a bit fatiguing so try not to schedule too much while you are doing it. Give him treats and rest during the process.

Think about what torture the SAT would be with a 25 minute essay. I don't know about you but my son would hand in a blank page. It takes him 25 minutes to remember his name (I am exaggerating, but still).

Thank you all this is wonderful, attitude changing news. I knew you would all come through :)

We found out that our local university does testing so we are also looking into that. And the local contact we had was very affirming and nice, I think would be a good fit for my son. He is a psychologist (he charges the $1200 to $1900).

My oldest son (Lucas 17) is taking the SAT for the second time and Gaelan (13 - the one who is dyslexic) is seeing the benefit of having some accommodations!

Thank you all again!

Kim (Mom to Lucas/17, Gaelan/13, Jericho/5 and baby Olive)

The price does look right to me for full-blown neuropsych testing. Our experience has not been that the testing is anything that a kiddo feels bad about.

In addition, I would also consider ruling out developmental vision issues with a covd doc.