Menu

Book suggestions for Florida State History?

TraceyS/FL

So the coming year we will be doing CA & FL state history a few days a week. I figured it might be kinda cool to compare/contrast them. I am a 3rd generation Californian, 2 of the kids are 4th, and the youngest is a FL Native.

So i have a few to check out for CA state history - thanks Chris, but was wondering if there was anything that stood out for Florida?

We haven't been good tourists in our own state, and i'd like to remedy that (great, just when gas goes sky high - brilliant planning on my part), but being able to read about places and events we can't get to is needed too.

SOOOO, thanks for any suggestions - and here is hoping the library has some of them.... since gee, they are lacking in CA books! LOL!!

We are doing Florida history this year as well.

I am using A Land Remembered as our spine.

There is the original version, a two-volume student version and a teacher's guide. I already own the original version. I think I will just use it and read it aloud and maybe buy the teacher's guide.

I have a great deal of fiction set in Florida on the girls' suggested reading lists for this year. (They have to choose books from their lists to read on their own time as part of their school program.)

You can look inside both versions of the book on Amazon.

We are doing Florida history this year as well.

I am using A Land Remembered as our spine.

There is the original version, a two-volume student version and a teacher's guide. I already own the original version. I think I will just use it and read it aloud and maybe buy the teacher's guide.

I have a great deal of fiction set in Florida on the girls' suggested reading lists for this year. (They have to choose books from their lists to read on their own time as part of their school program.)

You can look inside both versions of the book on Amazon.

Thanks - i'll check that out!

Do you have list of the fiction you are using somewhere i could take a gander at? :D

Have you looked at easy classical's state study?

We are using the Study from: http://www.statehistory.net/

We'll be doing CA & FL at the same time, well, that is the PLAN anyway! LOL!!!

But i have the Funbooks for my youngers, and the older will do hers in the notebook form.

OK, it's called Florida Unit Study by Cottage Homeschool Press.

There's way too much to list, and I don't see a spine. it's a great resource if you're going to study Florida though.

some fictional books they recommend are:

Strawberry Girl (a must read!)

The Yearling

The Old Man and the Sea

Non-Fict:

A Historical Album of Florida by Charles Wils

The Early People of Florida

I know Tales of Old Florida is supposed to be good as well.

You mentioned field trips and this study has a good listing of historical places in FL to visit. Also videos the library should carry, songs and poems about Florida.