Menu

Learning Ally and a Kindle

On May 1, Learning Ally quit providing support for WMA files. Outside of using an audio player that LA sells or downloading their software to a computer, you have to use Apple products to listen to their books. The $20 app works well with my IPOD.

Edited by Heathermomster

THANK YOU!

On May 1, Learning Ally quit providing support for WMA files. Outside of using an audio player that LA sells or downloading their software to a computer, you have to use Apple products to listen to their books. The $20 app works well with my IPOD.

Isn't' there text on Learning Ally as well?

I do have an iPod but I also have an iPad. I will play around with it and see which we prefer.

I need to get the application in this weekend so that we can get going with this.

Dawn

My son uses the Learning Ally app on his Ipod. That seems to work well for him.

DawnM-

You can access Learning Ally audiobooks on the iPad, iPod touch, and iPhone via the Learning Ally Audio app; and also on Mac and PCs with the free ReadHear software player. Learning Ally is not currently supported on Kindle devices, but development for Android access is now underway for release later this year. Learning Ally’s digital library of more than 74,000 textbook and literature titles is entirely human-read audio, and there are plans to include text in the future.

Here’s a link to the FAQ page if you need more info: http://www.learningally.org/Training-Support/Frequently-Asked-Questions/34/

Hope this helps!

-Learning Ally Mom

Thank you.

I don't plan to get an android but do have Mac products.

Good to know it isn't available on the Kindle.

I thought Learning Ally had text and speech. I don't know why I thought that. I guess because he has trouble reading I thought it would be him looking at the text and someone reading along.

Dawn

DawnM-

You can access Learning Ally audiobooks on the iPad, iPod touch, and iPhone via the Learning Ally Audio app; and also on Mac and PCs with the free ReadHear software player. Learning Ally is not currently supported on Kindle devices, but development for Android access is now underway for release later this year. Learning Ally’s digital library of more than 74,000 textbook and literature titles is entirely human-read audio, and there are plans to include text in the future.

Here’s a link to the FAQ page if you need more info: http://www.learningally.org/Training-Support/Frequently-Asked-Questions/34/

Hope this helps!

-Learning Ally Mom

I thought Learning Ally had text and speech. I don't know why I thought that. I guess because he has trouble reading I thought it would be him looking at the text and someone reading along.

Dawn

My son reads along in a physical copy of the book he is listening to via Learning Ally. We purchase our own books (or use books provided by his current school for classes he is taking).

There are two current key differences between Learning Ally & Bookshare. Learning Ally provides audio of books read by human volunteers but does not currently provide the text. Bookshare provides digital text which is then read aloud by a computer synthesized voice. I have just gotten my son registered for Bookshare, so we don't yet have experience using it.