Menu

Story of the World - middle school

I wanted to do middle ages SOTW with my rising 7th and rising 4th graders.

Another poster led me to Classical HOuse of Literature for logic stage http://www.classicalhouseoflearning.com/logic-stage-literature.html#MiddleAges, which is what we're going to do! I also understand that some people use Mystery of History for middle school instead of SOTW.

There are tons of ideas for history for middle school- I'm sure you'll get a lot of posts :)

Paula

:iagree:with the the K-12 HO.

Also there are the Oxfords World in Ancient Times books.... I have bought them off Amazon used for fraction of the new price.... A free option is Google books. I found several really good books by Eva March Tappan.

We use all the above with Connect the Thoughts as a "guide".

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

I just used SOTW 4 with my 4th, 6th and 8th grade kids with no problem. I just had the older ones do extra in depth reading (and writing for my oldest). It gave me a great place to keep us all on track and the outlining and quiz questions were great for my older kids.

Actually, in the Foreword of Vol. 4, it explains that Vol. 1 is targeted at grades 1-4, Vol. 2 at 2-5, Vol. 3 at 3-6, and Vol. 4 at 4-8. The last two volumes are written at a noticeably higher level than the first two. I think you'd be fine with those with a middle schooler.

For Ancient and Medieval history, there is a really wonderful series by Oxford University Press that people seem to really like. That's what we are planning for 7th & 8th grade, after finishing up with SOTW in 6th.

Sonlight has a middle school program that uses SOTW. We used it with my two youngest girls. We liked the first year the best; part of that may have been that it was a whole new format for us.

I don't know what they call it anymore. It used to be Core 6 & 7, but now would be letters instead.

Blessings,

Actually, in the Foreword of Vol. 4, it explains that Vol. 1 is targeted at grades 1-4, Vol. 2 at 2-5, Vol. 3 at 3-6, and Vol. 4 at 4-8. The last two volumes are written at a noticeably higher level than the first two. I think you'd be fine with those with a middle schooler.

For Ancient and Medieval history, there is a really wonderful series by Oxford University Press that people seem to really like. That's what we are planning for 7th & 8th grade, after finishing up with SOTW in 6th.

This is exactly what I needed to hear today! Thank goodness, because my girls LOVE SOTW!

If you haven't done SOTW already it is well worth it to go through it. Ds 10 still likes it. You may want to just do it for the audio and some discussion and use a meatier text like History Odyssey as well for a higher level reading. But I wouldn't miss SOTW.

Since we went through vol. 1-4 in grammar stage, my dd will do Classical House of Literature ancients for logic stage and use the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia for outlining history the WTM way. But I have a grammar stage student who will be going through SOTW1 again as we start the cycle over and my logic dd will still be listening in again and doing some of the projects and answering discussion questions. The difference will come in when younger dd is writing a narration, older dd will sit to do her outline from the encyclopedia.

We tried to do Story of the World when my oldest was a 1st grader. Didn't work. We revisited it when he was a 6th grader and it was a hit! I expanded his required work (additional literature, notebooking from other sources) but he really enjoyed listening to volume 1 with the rest of the kids.

We are reading SOTW with Biblioplan, and I think it is perfect for the middle grades. I could not imagine my dd would have had any interest in it during the early elementary years. We are just completing vol. 1 (5th grade) and will continue through the four year cycle with BP. :)

We are looking at this next year too. My ds has done SOTW 3 and 4, next year he will be in 5th grade and dd in K. I thought this would be good to do together. Just do the reading, coloring, and activities with dd5 and have ds also do the map work and the extra reading.

One thing I would love, is the outline pages like what is in level 4. I feel like if the activity book had that (or if I could buy them as student pages in pdf from Peace Hill Press (hint hint)) That it would be a GREAT program for the middle years.

Has anyone made outline sheets on a blog or anything?