Menu

I'm at a loss for next year. I have MOH Vol I because I bought it to use with my younger dd. My older DD was supposed to be in VP Scholars, but we pulled her out for various reasons. She is brilliant, so smart and loves to read. However, her interests lie elsewhere, and that's why I'm considering Ambleside again. We have gone CM 3 times in our homeschool, and it has always worked. Then I ramp it up, so to speak, because I'm VERY stuck on traditional school = good college experience. Now, I'm not so sure. She loves to sew, it's all she wants to do, a CM schedule would allow for that. She loves art, it's all she wants to do, a CM schedule would allow for that. It's just so hard for me to give myself permission to deviate from the traditional school model. I've done a search and many of you are making it work. Do you have any suggestions? Advice?

We would probably try year 7.

Thanks!

Dorinda

I think you can have both a CM approach and college prep work. My older dd has some very unique interests. I give her enough flexibility in her interests yet still hold to typical core requirements. She will complete 4 years of math and science. (We're following Kolbe for math and science right now.) I use English, history, art, literature, etc. for keeping her interests in the front.

I think Year 7 is a great year.

I'm a bit confused. CM education is very academically rigorous, so I don't see what the issue is? I would think it would give at least as good a background for university work as another style of education?

I agree, however it doesn't follow state standards, there are no textbooks, and I'd have to figure out the credits on my own. I'm one step closer to walking that road, it's just unconventional. That's hard for a left brained think inside the box kind of person.:tongue_smilie:

Judging by all that you wrote, I think CM/Ambleside would fit your dd perfectly. I keep circling back around to CM myself, though not exactly Ambleside - I love piecing together my own resources, and I'm trying to keep my dc combined for the main part. Anyhow, I keep coming back to it for the reasons you mention - good books, and time to explore interests.

I think there are resources out there for figuring out high school credits and all that, with a CM education - this might help: AO High School Credit Hours.

I say go for it! Year 7 looks very good!

ETA: Now that I'm browsing over there, years pre-7 and 3.5 are looking good for my kids too.... darn it! ;)

Edited by momto2Cs

I have circled around the Ambleside curriculum several times this year as well, considering it for my boys. I struggle with it for many of the same reasons. No textbooks. A lot of freedom. But then I sort of like it for that as well. I think you should try it! We may follow some of it this year too. :)

I have spent the last 3 days reading pages and pages of Charlotte Mason/Ambleside/SCM info, and I am back on board. I started reading Charlotte Mason's, "Original Homeschool Series" book 6, and I am blown away! No wonder I have gradually abandoned ship. All the other authors are fabulous, but reading Charlotte on Charlotte is the way to go!

So, I'm leaning toward Year 6 for my oldest because I think it would be good to ease back into it. Plus, when I look at the High School years, I think the years will fall into place better for us if we start here.

For my youngest, I'm thinking I'll still use MOH, at least for this year, and probably next. Our Island Story was not a hit at all with my oldest so I sold it when I was done with it.:lol: Plus, I used MOH with my oldest and I love the way it uses the Bible as a historical document, making Genesis the beginning of history. I'm going to ask over at the yahoo group, but I think I'm going to start my youngest in year 2 and, if this year goes well, maybe look into skipping a year or combining later on down the road. I've been reading over there and there are many moms who have done this with great success.

I love the idea of simplifying our day. I love the idea of getting back to basics, and I love the idea of focusing on only the best literature. I look at the pre-packaged programs I've been using for the past several years since we left Ambleside, and while they have been great for our family in a lot of ways, I have learned less CAN equal more, and that I need to sit back and enjoy the process. So, those are my thoughts. Wish me luck?:tongue_smilie:

Blessings!

Dorinda

• 1 month later...
I have circled around the Ambleside curriculum several times this year as well, considering it for my boys. I struggle with it for many of the same reasons. No textbooks. A lot of freedom. But then I sort of like it for that as well. I think you should try it! We may follow some of it this year too. :)

I, too, am seriously considering Year 7 for my two boys, 15 & 13. Complete turn about from TOG. One question: do I understand correctly my student simply read then share through narrations and a socratic discussion or two what they've learned?

Smiles,

Teresa

We're using Ambleside this upcoming year as well. Ds will be in 6th grade and we'll be doing Year 4 (he's done Yr1, Yr2, and some of Yr3 already over the last few years). We'll also be using various spelling, vocabulary, and grammar workbooks that hopefully will help with his dyslexia. I've always loved AO and ds has done well with it in the past. I'm planning on a very hands-on Ambleside approach this year with enough pre-planning and a set schedule.

I, too, am seriously considering Year 7 for my two boys, 15 & 13. Complete turn about from TOG. One question: do I understand correctly my student simply read then share through narrations and a socratic discussion or two what they've learned?

Smiles,

Teresa

I think at that age they would be expected to be doing more writing. I haven't really researched how CM works with older kids, but around age 10, they would start writing out some of their narrations. Oral narrations and Socratic discussion are still important, but I am thinking that by high school I would also start expecting some more formal writing--literary analysis, compare/contrast different works, etc. but I'm not sure since my kids aren't there yet. Hopefully someone else will chime in, or maybe you could ask on the high school board.

We're using Ambleside this upcoming year as well. Ds will be in 6th grade and we'll be doing Year 4 (he's done Yr1, Yr2, and some of Yr3 already over the last few years). We'll also be using various spelling, vocabulary, and grammar workbooks that hopefully will help with his dyslexia. I've always loved AO and ds has done well with it in the past. I'm planning on a very hands-on Ambleside approach this year with enough pre-planning and a set schedule.

Would you mind sharing with me what workbooks you're using for your dyslexic child? My rising 8th grader is also dyslexic. We've been using Seton's workbooks and he just doesn't seem to be grasping/applying the spelling, grammar and vocabulary.

I'm also planning to add in AO yr 7 and trying to find some hands on that isn't babyish for him.

Thanks!

Kim

• 3 weeks later...

I think it sounds like a great plan. CM is very rigorous and leads to a very peaceful school experience. We switched to a completely CM education about a year ago. At first it almost seemed too easy. There weren't complaints. The day just seemed to flow seamlessly. We spent a lot more time reading beautiful living books and less time doing busywork and workbooks. The change in my family life and my kids' education has been wonderful. I don't see myself ever going back. As far as giving high school credit, I am not worried about it. We have several different read alouds going at once (since my kids aren't ready for independent reading). We always have something for literature, history, nature study, artist study, etc going on at once. It is definitely not conventional in a PS model, but it is a lovely way to educate. I do believe that my kids will be prepared for college although the first time they read twaddle, they might feel their eyes glazing over. :lol:

If you need some inspiration, read this blog!

We are so ecclectic here, that we can't really call ourselves just one thing. But for what it is worth, here is how we have used the AO lists....

First of all, I love most of the books on the list. However, some of them are a bit too "British" for my children who are not British and lack some context. I have cross-referenced with the Simple Charlotte Mason http://www.simplecharlottemason.com curriculum booklists to create substitutions.

I also offer some titles as audio books to my kids...especially the ones that might be a little hard to get through (ie... Our Island Story...which also falls into the "A Little Too British" category)

Finally, since we are eccelctic, and since I love the IEW writing programs, I use those too...which are actually quite CMish (although sold under a Classical label) in that they rely heavily on narration (key word outlines, story-summaries, etc) as the foundation of learning to write with structure. I find the two methods...the CM booklists and the IEW writing materials...to be extremely compatible.

HTH!!

I think you can have both a CM approach and college prep work. My older dd has some very unique interests. I give her enough flexibility in her interests yet still hold to typical core requirements. She will complete 4 years of math and science. (We're following Kolbe for math and science right now.) I use English, history, art, literature, etc. for keeping her interests in the front.

I think Year 7 is a great year.

I think this is good advice.

I too have thought about trying out ambleside but haven't been able to bring myself to jump into it. Maybe next year...

I'm glad this thread was resurrected, because it refreshed my memory on why I walked down the Ambleside road! My goals haven't changed, but I'm going to do year 2 and year 6 with my girls. I have all the books, I just need to organize it all. We are also moving at some point this year, so Ambleside was the right choice. It's flexible, easy to schedule (I just have to do it), and cheap. I think it's going to be a great year (she says trying to motivate herself to get off the couch)!:lol:

Blessings!

Dorinda

PS I love all the CM blogs. I'm totally addicted to them. Thanks for the new suggestions!

We are so ecclectic here, that we can't really call ourselves just one thing. But for what it is worth, here is how we have used the AO lists....

First of all, I love most of the books on the list. However, some of them are a bit too "British" for my children who are not British and lack some context. I have cross-referenced with the Simple Charlotte Mason http://www.simplecharlottemason.com curriculum booklists to create substitutions.

I also offer some titles as audio books to my kids...especially the ones that might be a little hard to get through (ie... Our Island Story...which also falls into the "A Little Too British" category)

Finally, since we are eccelctic, and since I love the IEW writing programs, I use those too...which are actually quite CMish (although sold under a Classical label) in that they rely heavily on narration (key word outlines, story-summaries, etc) as the foundation of learning to write with structure. I find the two methods...the CM booklists and the IEW writing materials...to be extremely compatible.

HTH!!

:iagree: with some of the books being too "British." Hence why we're using MOH as a spine. This does help as I've been trying to decide if I'm going CM all the way, or if I'm going to keep some of what I had already purchased. For example, I have Rod and Staff for both my girls, and I'm on the fence as to whether I want to do it or use something else. I've been reading CM's, "Towards a Philosophy of Education," as well as other resources, and she actually used texts like R&S, but did them orally with very little written work. I'm pondering that.

I had also purchased some Total Language Plus units for my oldest before I decided to go with Ambleside, and I'm thinking about using them like a TG for me rather than a student book for her. As for my youngest, I have DITHOR (used it with my oldest), but I'm beginning to realize it would be a waste of time. My youngest HATES anything she sees as busy work, and she saw DITHOR as busy work last year. She read all the books I gave her and loved them, but hated the assignments.

I think it might be time to start a new thread here, or hop over to the yahoo group for advice. I feel like I have a lot of books and resources, but I don't know how to make them all gel. And, I'm a little of a perfectionist so I'm kind of stuck on doing it the TRUE CM way.:tongue_smilie:

Would you mind sharing with me what workbooks you're using for your dyslexic child? My rising 8th grader is also dyslexic. We've been using Seton's workbooks and he just doesn't seem to be grasping/applying the spelling, grammar and vocabulary.

I'm also planning to add in AO yr 7 and trying to find some hands on that isn't babyish for him.

Thanks!

Kim

Sorry Kim, I haven't checked back on this thread til now.

We've had a lot of success with Spelling Skills (Harcourt) and will continue using the 5th and 6th grade books. I don't think it goes higher than 6th grade, but if your ds is struggling, he may do well with the 6th grade book. There's spelling, vocabulary, proofreading, and grammar in every chapter. And ds loves it.

Also this year we're trying Simply Grammar (Andreola) and Wordly Wise 6 (Hodkinson & Adams). The things that's really helped ds throughout the years have been oral narrations, weekly written narrations, copywork, dictation exercises, and buddy reading aloud. The CM method seems to be great for him and AO puts it all into a nice structured package for us. Ds narrates back really well, but can't seem to get his words down on paper. I'm going to try recording the narrations I want him to write down and have him hand-write some and type some.

Um, I have a bad headache right now, or I'd google it for you, but I've stumbled upon lists before that break those book lists down into subjects so you can list credits.

Or you could just have her do test prep and clep for the subjects to show she learned them, but actually focus on:

-drawing/fashion sketching & design. Get library books on drawing and pattern making and have her design her own "line." You can do this inexpensively by using white muslin (on a 50% off sale - they come around every 6 weeks) and RIT dye to get the colors she wants. make it a year long project if you want.

-You could experiment with more pricey fabrics and have her sell them on etsy and also give credit for an entrepreneurship course.

-have her look into civil and industrial engineering, architecture, interior design, graphic design, and fashion design as careers. Include in your explanation how much school, what school costs, where you have to live, what the salary would be, what entry level jobs pay and how likely you are to get them in a recession (in engineering she'll always have a well-paying job and possibly a lot of extra diversity scholarship money just for being female; in others maybe not).

I don't know exactly what field he majored in, but I had a friend in college who ended up going to grad school at Parson's for something like industrial design. He ended up making a chair that's on the international space station.

I think it sounds like a great plan. CM is very rigorous and leads to a very peaceful school experience. We switched to a completely CM education about a year ago. At first it almost seemed too easy. There weren't complaints. The day just seemed to flow seamlessly. We spent a lot more time reading beautiful living books and less time doing busywork and workbooks. The change in my family life and my kids' education has been wonderful. I don't see myself ever going back. As far as giving high school credit, I am not worried about it. We have several different read alouds going at once (since my kids aren't ready for independent reading). We always have something for literature, history, nature study, artist study, etc going on at once. It is definitely not conventional in a PS model, but it is a lovely way to educate. I do believe that my kids will be prepared for college although the first time they read twaddle, they might feel their eyes glazing over. :lol:

If you need some inspiration, read this blog!

Oh my goodness thank you for that blog link. That's so fantastic and so in line with what I'm hoping to do for my kids. Plus - we just moved and I have 2 under 3 and am aching for more order and organization... Such good inspiration all around. Thank you - seriously.

Um, I have a bad headache right now, or I'd google it for you, but I've stumbled upon lists before that break those book lists down into subjects so you can list credits.

Or you could just have her do test prep and clep for the subjects to show she learned them, but actually focus on:

-drawing/fashion sketching & design. Get library books on drawing and pattern making and have her design her own "line." You can do this inexpensively by using white muslin (on a 50% off sale - they come around every 6 weeks) and RIT dye to get the colors she wants. make it a year long project if you want.

-You could experiment with more pricey fabrics and have her sell them on etsy and also give credit for an entrepreneurship course.

-have her look into civil and industrial engineering, architecture, interior design, graphic design, and fashion design as careers. Include in your explanation how much school, what school costs, where you have to live, what the salary would be, what entry level jobs pay and how likely you are to get them in a recession (in engineering she'll always have a well-paying job and possibly a lot of extra diversity scholarship money just for being female; in others maybe not).

I don't know exactly what field he majored in, but I had a friend in college who ended up going to grad school at Parson's for something like industrial design. He ended up making a chair that's on the international space station.

Thanks Katy! Those are some great ideas! And :grouphug: for your headache. We have the monsoons going on and every night at 4:00, my headache rolls in with the storm. Not. Fun.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Sorry Kim, I haven't checked back on this thread til now.

We've had a lot of success with Spelling Skills (Harcourt) and will continue using the 5th and 6th grade books. I don't think it goes higher than 6th grade, but if your ds is struggling, he may do well with the 6th grade book. There's spelling, vocabulary, proofreading, and grammar in every chapter. And ds loves it.

Also this year we're trying Simply Grammar (Andreola) and Wordly Wise 6 (Hodkinson & Adams). The things that's really helped ds throughout the years have been oral narrations, weekly written narrations, copywork, dictation exercises, and buddy reading aloud. The CM method seems to be great for him and AO puts it all into a nice structured package for us. Ds narrates back really well, but can't seem to get his words down on paper. I'm going to try recording the narrations I want him to write down and have him hand-write some and type some.

Angela,

No worries! Thanks for checking back. I looked it up on amazon...is it called flash kids? It looks pretty good for him. I really need to work on the written narrations and have him start reading aloud again. It sounds like you have a good plan in place.

Kim

P.S. I love your blog! My dh is from CT and I love it when we go up and visit. We're hoping to make it to the city in Dec, to see everything all done up for Christmas.

As you look ahead, you might find this blog helpful. It is by a friend of mine whose daughter is a dancer, very artistic. They have been doing Ambleside high school for a couple of years now (they started with a quick review of pre-7), and the blog follows their weekly schedule, with associated links and adaptations.