Menu

Best Spanish program, please.

The AO Lifepacs are fine, and the computer-based equivalent, SOS Spanish I and SOS Spanish II are outstanding for grammar instruction. (You do have to deal with the idiosyncrasies of the computer, but that's small compared to all the grading you'll do in the Lifepacs.)

If you don't know Spanish yourself, however, then I highly suggest you find someone to work on the conversational Spanish with your dc. I think that's the one lost component in home-based foreign language instruction--lots of opportunity to speak the language.

My younger dd is in Mexico City this week on mission trip, and it has done more for her Spanish instruction than the year we have spent in SOS Spanish I this year! GRIN. She claims to be a "BEAST in Spanish" now, and that she can "kick her sister's butt." (LOL!) I can't wait to see if it's true, but mainly I'm delighted she has the confidence to jump into the spoken language. She has made several Mexican friends who speak no English, so she's really been forced to explore her vocabulary at a new level.

I have one child using lifepacs and another using SOS Spanish I.

The dc using the lifepacs is not a strong speller in English, and he really struggles with spelling in a foreign language, so the lifepacs make it easier for me to see if he's learning the grammar and vocab. even if his spelling isn't perfect.

Ds needs 2 years of Spanish and to me the lifepacs are the bare minimum to meet that requirement. He will probably never be fluent and that doesn't bother him.

Dd on the other hand can do most everything on her own, and the SOS program is wonderful for her.

HTH,