Menu

what does a ballet evaluation look like...

dd took some time off dance. Now, she is going back, but to a different studio. She was in an all ballet pre pro program and on pointe for 2 years (she was young for pointe). She 14 now and hasn't been on pointe. We are going to a different studio because she wants to study other dance as well as ballet. Old studio was strictly ballet (vaganova). This makes dd feel guilty--she likes old studio, but she wants to try other dance too.

New studio does ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical, hip hop, musical theatre. They have companies and teams. The studio has a good reputation. So, she asked about advanced ballet classes and pointe at the new studio. They scheduled a ballet evaluation. dd has no idea what to expect. She's never been in anything where she was told it was an evaluation or an audition. I know nothing about the world of dance besides the friendly people in dd's old studio.

I always evaluate kids in an actual ballets class. Very low pressure, not alone, I just see how they do at that level. Then I can move them up a level or two based on what I see in class.

I think this may be the most common method, unless you go to a school that does examinations, like RAD schools. Otherwise, it may be her and the teacher. I would assume they will run her through a basic class to check her terminology knowledge, her placement and technique level, and her skill level (speed of petite allegro, number of pirouettes, stamina for grande allegro, etc.)

I have a 17 yo ballet dancing dd. In my experience the dancer takes a "placement class." The director estimates where he/she thinks the dancer will be and then they have her take a class at that level. They are evaluated as to how well they do in the class and then moved up or down based on that evaluation. It is very low key, they are in a regular class with other students, of course the teacher is watching them more closely. It is done whenever a new student is joining a school.

Mary