Menu

How long past the sell-by date can you eat sausage?

I discovered that my package of (uncooked) Premio sausage had a sell-by date of May 4. I thought it was dated further out than that :( Does anyone know how long sausage lasts past the sell-by? Is it something that keeps a bit? I was planning to use it for meatloaf tonight, and now I don't have time to thaw more. Gah!

TIA.

ETA: It was in the refrigerator, not the freezer.

Edited by melissel

Is there a phone number on the package that you could call?

I hate "sell by" dates. :glare: I want to know when I need to throw it away. (I would guess that they'd allow about a week between the sell-by date and the eat-it-and-you-might-die date, but with sausage, I have no clue, so I'm just taking a wild guess.)

Edited by Catwoman

I hate "sell by" dates. :glare: I want to know when I need to throw it away. (I would guess that they'd allow about a week between the sell-by date and the eat-it-and-you-might-die date, but with sausage, I have no clue, so I'm just taking a wild guess.)

I feel the same way. Sausage has so much salt in it, I feel like it should last longer like bacon. But I have no clue either!

Hm, not that I always follow these things, but according to this it says 1 or 2 days:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/Sausage_and_Food_Safety/index.asp#12

Maybe 6 days is pushing it.

This is pretty much what I'm seeing. Yeah, a week is too far past the guidelines for me. Ugh, I'm so annoyed with myself. I had no idea it had such a short shelf life.

Thanks, everyone. See, this is why I think I can still cut 30% from my grocery budget! :banghead:

Sorry you had to throw it out, but I would have done the same thing.

Curse those stupid sell-by dates!!! They're too confusing!

:lol: Thanks, I am too. I manage to thaw three hot Italian sausages quickly in water, and I had a pound of ground turkey to add to it, so my meatloaf is smaller, but saved. Now to manage to use up those other three sausages before it's too late! I think I'll be making Kung Fu Panda's Zuppa Toscana tomorrow to use up all these potatoes too!