Menu

How does this look for 9th?

We are going to start school again in July and work through August. During this time we are going to finish a couple things and start a few new ones.

Finishing SL5 (both dc)

continuing math (Life of Fred Algebra)

starting IEW SWI-C

finishing poetry unit (both dc)

finishing AG

start Spanish

We are taking a break for Sept. because my dad is coming to visit during the first part of the month and then we will be going to Disney. Oct. will start our official 9th grade plans.

Math ~ Life of Fred Beginning Algebra (finish this and continue into Advanced Algebra)

Literature ~ Readings based off of the Teaching Co. lecture series titled Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition and using Teaching the Classics to discuss some of the works

Now, I am not sure if I will separate out Lit. and English, but we will also be doing writing (this will be finishing SWI-C if it is not done and continuing to SWCC-C) and grammar review. Should Lit. & English be lumped together?

Science~ Biology: Science of Life lecture series from Teaching Co. along with Campbell's Biology (this is the book recommended in the lecture series)

Geography ~ Geo Deo's Journey Into Africa using the independent study guide for first half of the year and then more world geography (pulling together myself) to finish out the year (this builds nicely off the SL5 we are currently working on).

Spanish ~ Probably Auralog program

We are still deciding on some outside classes. If we do those it will be art and speech/debate. My big issues here are the drive (20 min. each way), the cost ($180 per class; dd will also be doing a class) and the time. My dh leans towards us not participating in this for the reasons mentioned, but the social interaction would be good so I am still on the fence about this.

He also will be doing bowling through the local high school and on a league and he does Jui-Jitsu.

I think that is it. Does that look ok?

Thanks!

ETA: I was also considering LL World Lit. 1 (and maybe 2) for this year because it would fit so nicely with the Africa/geography study. I wasn't sure though if it would be too much as Hewitt lists it for 11th-12th grade. Any thoughts? I would hold off on the Teaching Co. lectures until next year if we did the LL.

Science~ Biology: Science of Life lecture series from Teaching Co. along with Campbell's Biology (this is the book recommended in the lecture series)

I'm curious what you think of this series. How did you decide between TC and Thinkwell for Biology lectures? Which Campbell do the TC lectures recommend?

Thanks!

Your plans look thorough for 9th. But I'm a rookie -- others here would provide much better feedback than me. :)

I'm curious what you think of this series. How did you decide between TC and Thinkwell for Biology lectures? Which Campbell do the TC lectures recommend?

Thanks!

Your plans look thorough for 9th. But I'm a rookie -- others here would provide much better feedback than me. :)

Well, cost was one factor. I purchased the TC lectures when they were on sale, so it was less expensive than Thinkwell. I also purchased the Campbell's Biology book through Better World Books for under $10. It is a beautiful copy that has the CD supplement that hasn't been used so I am hoping that means we have the on-line access without having to pay for the subscription.

Also, my ds doesn't care for working on the computer, so the TC lectures seemed to be the better option for us.

The book is titled Biology 6th edition. My plan is to use the TC lectures as the main program and read the chapters from the book as the lectures reference them. I think this will be a fairly intense course, but doable. The CD in the book has an on-line lab component (at least that is my understanding). If that doesn't work, I have searched some web-sites that have some labs for biology that we will add into the course.

I am actually so excited about this course that I am thinking of starting it now for myself so I am more familiar with it. :001_smile:

Deece,

What is Better World Books? I am looking for used bio books, too. Your plans for 9th sound very interesting. Is Journey Into Africa written at the HS level or will you need to add to it? thanks for sharing!

Blessings,

April

Better World Books is a used book source that carries many textbooks in addition to other books (the web-site is http://www.betterworld.com). Proceeds go to help fund literacy programs around the world (different book purchases will fund different programs, but will say on the web-site). I have bought from them 3 or 4 times now and have been pleased with the service and book quality that I have received. Oh, they also ship for free!

From what I have read, if you use the independent study guide for the Journey to Africa program it will count for 1/2 world geography credit, 1/2 world history credit and 1/2 science credit. I have the rest of the program and I hope the independent study guide does add more to the program otherwise I do think you would have to add to it if you use the 5-8 grade worksheets (which my dd will be using). I am planning on giving my ds the geography credit and maybe the history credit, but am not sure about the science credit. I will have to wait until it arrives to see what all is involved. I will probably add some extra reading (fiction or biographies most likely) and videos from Netflix just for a different type of exposure, so I think it should work out fine.

I hope so anyway. :D

I was also considering LL World Lit. 1 (and maybe 2) for this year because it would fit so nicely with the Africa/geography study. I wasn't sure though if it would be too much as Hewitt lists it for 11th-12th grade. Any thoughts? I would hold off on the Teaching Co. lectures until next year if we did the LL.

One of the Lightning Literature authors moderates the Hewitt Yahoo group. You might post your question there and hope for a response from her or other users.

The link is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hewitt_Homeschooling/

Regards,

Kareni