Menu

What is K12? and Is CAVA in Calif the same thing?

Love2Smile

Ive been reading a few times where people say K12 is too expensive but very good. We have CAVA in Calif and it's free. Im wondering if it's the same thing as K12? The websites have the same curriculum it looks like.

Anyone have any experience with it? Is it good??

K12 is a curriculum. There are charter and virtual schools that use the K12 program with their students. If you're in a charter or virtual school, the school books are supplied to you which means you don't have to pay for them. But it is also possible to buy K12 directly and be an independent consumer.

We did a year of K12 as independents. I purchased all the materials and online access for 5 subjects, for 12 months. I prepurchased at a time when a sale was going on and the total cost was still $1300. My son had a great 5th grade year though. We enjoyed the program and the courses, except for the Music course which he hated.

I'm sure you'll get other responses as there are other ladies using K12 on this board.

Ive been reading a few times where people say K12 is too expensive but very good. We have CAVA in Calif and it's free. Im wondering if it's the same thing as K12? The websites have the same curriculum it looks like.

Anyone have any experience with it? Is it good??

Yes, it is the same thing. The difference (besides the cost) is that when you enroll with CAVA your dc become public school students, rather than the private school students they are now, and are subject to public school laws. I know there are people who enjoy doing k12 through CAVA, but I have read comments from many people who did not like the level of accountability CAVA requires.

We are with a Calvert cyberschool but we have two K12 cybers in our state . I have looked into them and the accounability factor is what has kept me from using the K12 . Now if you are in need of this then its not a bad thing . They do require quite a bit and its not the same as using K12 independently . You have to use the curriculum as is ,, no choices should a subject not work well for your child .. you have to keep track of hours and days with K12 schools . You do the WHOLE grade . So if your used to stopping at some point in the year you don't have that option . I know we are just finishing 120 tests for our Cyber and we still have 140 and 160 to complete . We don't have the choice to say .. Okay this is good we can pick up in the new school year . It has to ALL be done .

You are also required to do state testing , and your required to teach your child to the test pretty much . Every year we have to pretty much stop what we are doing and do Study Island ( test prep course ). I mean we still have to move on with school work as well but my girls always balked at having to do Study Island and then me requiring them to get their other subjects done ( it makes for a LLLLLOOOONNNNG day ) .

On the bright side you do get a computer , and printer at no cost . But that is on loan. If you leave the cyberschool then you return that back . And your curriculum some parts you have to return back to the school .

You can look on their website or call and talk to them but that is the bare bones I know about K12 charter schools . Some require extra work away from K12 as well . We have a cyber like that it started vering off from the orignial k12 so another K12 chater came in and swooped up those unhappy parents that wanted just K12 and nothing more . So you need to check into that and make sure they don't expect outside assignments that are not K12 related .

Other then that cybers work well for some and not so much for others . I know after 3years we're getting pretty burnt out from it .