- can be done with a few resource books, an encyclopedia and library books

- clean layout for assignment sheet

- strong semester exams

- excellent for groups; i.e. divide the labor

- includes vocabulary

- includes many ideas for research topics

- every unit includes critical thinking or comparison topics

Cons

- same forms used for every culture (this could be a pro for students who need a consistent path)

- imited integration of Bible/church history

- unit tests are too easy

Non-fiction sources are used to complete the assignment sheet and forms, so you definitely want to add reading in a spine for the narrative flow of history. Also, if you want your student to read complete literature works, it's easy to add them because Trisms is flexible. However, many of the excerpts are substantial, so they are all that is needed to complete the literature assignments. Even if the excerpts aren't substantial and you decide to add full works, it's a plus to have examples of short stories, poems, etc. related to the time period included in the student book.

Edited by 1Togo

We used History Makers (now History Masterminds) for Ds's 6th grade year, and DAW I spread out to use for 7th and 8th. We've just finished DAW, and I've got my hands on EoC for 9th grade :)

I've been very happy with the program for the most part. The only 'cons' I can think of are probably only things I personally don't like, and not actual problems with the program itself. I'm not a fan of IEW, which the is writing program used by Trisms, so I have to come up with a separate writing, science, and math curricula each year. The literature excerpts are excellent, but we add quite a few full books on of my own choosing that do not necessarily correspond to the historical time frame we're working on.

I love that the program is so flexible, but provides an excellent framework for us to work from. It is very easy to adjust, add, subtract, etc.

I highly recommend it :)

Here are a couple of my older TRISMS posts:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32348#poststop

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=37083#poststop

I have used TRISMS with 2 dc; I have been using it almost continuously since 2004. I used Discovering the Ancient World, Expansion of Civilization, and Rise of Nations with each of my children in turn. I found Age of Revolution to be cost-prohibitive, so when ER was in 12th grade, I wrote my own program and made it as TRISMS-like as I could. Since then, I have been able to find both semesters of TRISMS AoR used at good prices, so I am eager to use them with EK next year when she's in 12th grade. I really love TRISMS, and I recommend it very highly.

Thank you everyone for sharing.

I am torn between Biblioplan or TRISMS.

I love that TRISMS is so easy to customize. I already own IEW. And my children who aren't used to such academic rigors as TRISMS puts forth could divide up the work between them. Share the work load-help each other out.

One concern is the level of the lit excerpts and the fact that there is so much research that I'm wondering if it will become monotonous to fill out these forms each week.

I've never seen it represented at any convention I've been to so have never been able to look at it other than the sample on their website. I would love to be able to see what the lit excerpts look like, etc. It would be nice if they could share the first couple of units of each level like Tapestry of Grace or Biblioplan does. That way you could actually try it out or at least see it to get a better feel for it.

I have researched this our last two school years but then opted not because I don't know enough about it.

Thanks again,

Tracy