Menu

Cavity at the gumline... ever had one? How does a dentist handle this?

I just noticed a tiny dark spot on a lower molar, and upon closer inspection, I determined that it's a cavity. :( I already have a to have a root canal in the same tooth on the opposite side ($$$$) and I am terrified of the dentist in the first place because of bad, bad experiences as a child. Someo

ne please reassure me!!!

I HATE HATE HATE the dentist. Get some Anbesol (over by Oragel) for the pain. They do have a temporary filling you can buy (Dentemp- again over my Oragel), but since its by your gum, im not sure if it will stay? It might since it hardens on. Make sure to brush your teeth and floss so the cavity doesnt get worse and avoid cold or hot things suddenly, they can make the pain worse.

If you found a dentist who knocks you completely out, which some do and some even use the laughing gas now, then id go for them...but Im STILL too chicken to even do that! :lol:

They'll fill it like any other cavity. Since it's not on the biting surface, they'll do a composite filling to make it match the enamel. I don't suggest OTC filling products. Go into the dentist and have it filled. If you can see it yourself, it won't be difficult to treat. Just don't wait around; make an appointment tomorrow!:grouphug:

They'll fill it like any other cavity. Since it's not on the biting surface, they'll do a composite filling to make it match the enamel. I don't suggest OTC filling products. Go into the dentist and have it filled. If you can see it yourself, it won't be difficult to treat. Just don't wait around; make an appointment tomorrow!:grouphug:

I just meant temporary, not as a replacement. ;)

I had one done in Januray, just like you describe. He filled it with a composite filling to match my tooth. After about 2.5 months I started having pain in my mouth and when I went in to get my teeth cleaned in April I mentioned it to the hygenist and she took an exray...I had an abscess in that tooth. I guess I waited too long to have the cavity filled and when he did the filling it compromised the tooth. I had to have a root canal and a crown two weeks ago.

So, my advice is to not let it go...get it taken care quickly.