Menu

Does this book exist? Re: Lit analysis

I promised I searched through the search feature. It does look like this question comes up every month or so in one form or another. So maybe I'm wasting everyone's time asking.

I need in a secular book form something that teaches what these are and how to find them:

character analysis

themes

setting

symbolism

conflict

plot

moral

Oh, and it has to be able to work on any given book. I'm not looking for study guides to a specific book or books.

I sort of like Windows to the World (someone lined it in another thread), but it is written to the Christian teacher/student. It also assumes the teacher has a bit of literary analysis under his/her belt. I was never taught to read below the surface. I think with all the moving I did as a kid I kept missing each school's study on this. It progressed to the point that when I went to college I couldn't pass English 2 because I didn't know how to read below the surface, much less write literary essays.

I promised I searched through the search feature. It does look like this question comes up every month or so in one form or another. So maybe I'm wasting everyone's time asking.

I need in a secular book form something that teaches what these are and how to find them:

character analysis

themes

setting

symbolism

conflict

plot

moral

Start with "Teach Like Your Hair Is On Fire" -- it has a very simple intro for 5th grade using wellknown movies.

One of the better books I've found on it is this test prep book. It was a great reference for me. I don't know that other versions or other authors in the series are the same. The first section covers what should be covered in a good high school literature class. Knowing these things can help you talk about them with your own students when you read. I'm sure there are real books written for this, but I used this with my ds to review for his SAT's and kept it for my own reference.

I second Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire (AWESOME book!), and will add Deconstructing Penguins. Teaching the Classics is ok for secular folks from what I have seen so far. The authors are Christian, and it comes across in their book descriptions, but as a secular homeschooler I have not had any objections to the material so far. I was looking into buying Windows to the World, as well. I think the Christian material is good to study, though, because it is so prevalent in our culture and in books. It's necessary to understand a lot of the ideas and symbolism in everything from Harry Potter to LOST.

I did not get any literary training in school, but was always a gifted reader. I did not skip around schools after 3rd grade. I just don't think most schools did/do lit analysis.

One of the better books I've found on it is this test prep book. It was a great reference for me. I don't know that other versions or other authors in the series are the same. The first section covers what should be covered in a good high school literature class. Knowing these things can help you talk about them with your own students when you read. I'm sure there are real books written for this, but I used this with my ds to review for his SAT's and kept it for my own reference.

Thanks. I put it in my Amazon cart.

Start with "Teach Like Your Hair Is On Fire" -- it has a very simple intro for 5th grade using wellknown movies.

I second Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire (AWESOME book!),

Is this the book you are referring to? I looked at the "look inside" and it seems more like something like John Gattos books about what is wrong with schools today.

I second Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire (AWESOME book!), and will add Deconstructing Penguins. Teaching the Classics is ok for secular folks from what I have seen so far. The authors are Christian, and it comes across in their book descriptions, but as a secular homeschooler I have not had any objections to the material so far. I was looking into buying Windows to the World, as well. I think the Christian material is good to study, though, because it is so prevalent in our culture and in books. It's necessary to understand a lot of the ideas and symbolism in everything from Harry Potter to LOST.

I did not get any literary training in school, but was always a gifted reader. I did not skip around schools after 3rd grade. I just don't think most schools did/do lit analysis.

Don't get me wrong. As a Christian I'm okay with some Christian materials. But I'd prefer not to if it can be avoided because we are Catholic Christians. I tend to come across "different" thinking or sometimes even mean barbs. So it is just easier to avoid it altogether.

Don't get me wrong. As a Christian I'm okay with some Christian materials. But I'd prefer not to if it can be avoided because we are Catholic Christians. I tend to come across "different" thinking or sometimes even mean barbs. So it is just easier to avoid it altogether.

I was raised Jewish and Catholic, so I understand. ;) I am unsure of the slant of the Christian content in Windows. I've been looking at review here on the WTM and people say that that section could be skipped, but even most hardcore secularists seem to think the material is not a problem. Idk until I read through it myself.

I looked at Deconstructing Penguins. It looked like it was geared toward 1-3rd graders. Did I get it wrong?

It has book recommendations for 2nd thru 5th grades, but IMO a lot of the books could be done through 6th, and it covers how to talk about all the elements of literature with any age groups (the book groups the authors led had kids at least 2-5th, and their parents).

Reading Strands

:iagree:

And a list of random books I have accumulated over the years:

Awesome Hands-On Activities for Teaching Literary Elements (4-8), Scholastic

Figuratively Speaking (5-8), The Learning Works

Figurative Language (5-8), Educational Impressions

Independent Reading Management Kit: Literary Elements, (4-8), Scholastic

Teaching Literary Elements (4-8), Scholastic

Teaching Literary Elements with Picture Books (4-8), Scholastic

As a LDS, I also tend to shy away from Christian curriculum (most likely for the same reasons you do), but Windows to the World worked for us. And I didn't find it asking much from me as a teacher. I felt the teacher's book did a get job of holding my hand through the whole process. Looking forward to using it next year with my two youngest.

I looked at Deconstructing Penguins. It looked like it was geared toward 1-3rd graders. Did I get it wrong?

It has book recommendations for 2nd thru 5th grades, but IMO a lot of the books could be done through 6th, and it covers how to talk about all the elements of literature with any age groups (the book groups the authors led had kids at least 2-5th, and their parents).
I agree. All four of my students, including the teen and tween, analyzed Charlotte's Web together using this book. We wrote notes on our big whiteboard until there wasn't any room left. Even the teen could smile at the connections and different way of looking at the story. :001_smile: (In spite of the boring assumption he made right off the bat.) It gave everyone a new appreciation for the story they've read, heard read, or watched seemingly a hundred times.

If you haven't done literary analysis Deconstructing Penguins is a great place to begin, and after working through a few of the books they walk you through you'll easily be able to apply it to any book.

This isn't my area of expertise either so I'll be checking out the recommendations as well. What is a good age to start working on this?

I'm not an expert either, but I'm starting in 3rd grade with my dd. I wanted her to have a few years of just reading, reading, reading. To herself. To me. To dh. To her siblings. Lots of reading!

Now she can read just about anything I put in front of her so next year we are getting our toes wet in some lit. analysis!

I'm not an expert either, but I'm starting in 3rd grade with my dd. I wanted her to have a few years of just reading, reading, reading. To herself. To me. To dh. To her siblings. Lots of reading!

Now she can read just about anything I put in front of her so next year we are getting our toes wet in some lit. analysis!

My daughter (just turned 9) is a reader also. A great portion of her day is spent reading, which I absolutely love of course :)

I briefly picked up Deconstructing Penguins from the library a little while back. Going solely from memory, I don't recall it having a lot of direct guidance. Am I remembering incorrectly? I loved the idea of it, but felt I needed more hand holding than it offered. But I'd love for someone to say I just didn't read deeply enough and that in fact it is a good solution.

Well, there's always the How to Report on Books series, from Evan-Moor. I'm not quite sure what age range you're looking for, since you objected to another resource on the grounds that it's for first to third graders, but this series goes up to sixth grade, at least.

It does recommend particular books to introduce a concept, but, from my experiences with the first and second grade level workbook, none of the books is particularly difficult to get from the library, nor particularly hard to replace with anything else appropriate.

On the other hand, these are very, very basic, and I don't think they would necessarily cover everything on your list. The fifth- to sixth-grade book does cover setting and symbolism, at least.

Or, you could head on over to Susan Wise Bauer's handout from a workshop on this to see what she suggested.

It gets difficult when they can read and understand anything put in front of them. There is no specific curriculum for that. I asked on the accelerated learner board about "advanced curriculum" and haven't gotten a reply. (I also think I asked badly. I knew what I was saying but I think I was so tired that it didn't make much sense.)

Makes sense to me that an in depth lit analysis course is the next thing but I'm not a deep reader. I have to learn right along with her so it needs to be student friendly.

And I have to keep the content at her level while letting her read books that challenger her.

I really do think homeschooling is one of the top 5 challenging aspects of parenting.

I briefly picked up Deconstructing Penguins from the library a little while back. Going solely from memory, I don't recall it having a lot of direct guidance. Am I remembering incorrectly? I loved the idea of it, but felt I needed more hand holding than it offered. But I'd love for someone to say I just didn't read deeply enough and that in fact it is a good solution.

:iagree: From what I saw at Amazon's website it did seem that one should already have quite a bit of knowledge about lit analysis prior to using the book.

Well, there's always the How to Report on Books series, from Evan-Moor. I'm not quite sure what age range you're looking for, since you objected to another resource on the grounds that it's for first to third graders, but this series goes up to sixth grade, at least.

It does recommend particular books to introduce a concept, but, from my experiences with the first and second grade level workbook, none of the books is particularly difficult to get from the library, nor particularly hard to replace with anything else appropriate.

On the other hand, these are very, very basic, and I don't think they would necessarily cover everything on your list. The fifth- to sixth-grade book does cover setting and symbolism, at least.

Or, you could head on over to Susan Wise Bauer's handout from a workshop on this to see what she suggested.

Thanks for linking both of these. I'm sure someone can use the first link. I've added it to my cart to use as a refresher. From the link to SWB's workshop I have a very interesting book on the way which SWB linked. I think we can work through it slowly over the next few years.

Searching around Amazon, I found this book. It looks intriguing.

Someone may be able to use this workbook on Literary Terms.

This book on teaching literary criticism may be too advanced for the K-8 group but I thought I'd link it anyway.

Then I went off on a tangent and found this about Socratic discussions. It is geared toward classroom use.

Thanks for these resources. I just ordered the evan moor book for 5-6.

Good items to consider!

Which is the best handbook, do you think, for someone who needs it to be as clear and precise as possible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0393928373/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/Literary-Terms-Handbook-Easy-Use/dp/1937166112/ref=pd_sim_b_67

Is this going to the be similar to the one above? I was able to get this one from the library, but not the above.

http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Takes-Teaching-Literary-Elements/dp/0545052564/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336224516&sr=1-2

Good items to consider!

Which is the best handbook, do you think, for someone who needs it to be as clear and precise as possible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0393928373/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/Literary-Terms-Handbook-Easy-Use/dp/1937166112/ref=pd_sim_b_67

Is this going to the be similar to the one above? I was able to get this one from the library, but not the above.

http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Takes-Teaching-Literary-Elements/dp/0545052564/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336224516&sr=1-2

I ended up ordering this one for no other reason than the TOCs were similar and it was $12 cheaper.

Usually I lean toward SWBs recommendations simply because she does know what she's talking about. But at that price I'd really rather be able to get a look at the TOC and a few sample pages.

I'll have to one I ordered on Tuesday. I'll give it a quick read through and post a review.

I have a dear friend who is Catholic. (By Catholic I mean an active, practicing Catholic... very Catholic, not just "culturally" Catholic.) We have used Teaching the Classics together. We've come across nothing offensive. Just .02.

I've not seen this so it's quite likely I'm going to open my mouth and insert my foot... I apologize ahead of time.

I think the main problem with most mainstream options, and just, honestly, from the TITLE, I'm seeing warning bells, is this:

A report is very different than an analysis.

Telling me the what and who of the book is entirely different than telling me why the author wrote the book (theme) or how his character changed and what underlying (secret) things did to bring about this change.

It's not just "this" character is the hero a.k.a., the protagonist. It is the idea that the a literary character shares this trait or that trait or overcame this issue or flaw that made him the hero or the villian. It is the idea that there may be NO moral, but that the theme I took away from the book helped me understand this part of human existence. It's the deeper thinking behind the motive of the author. Why did he have his character face this issue? Why THIS conflict? Why is his antagonist who he is? It's the deeper thinking on the human issues.... The character of the character. ;)

On the recommendations of those here I picked up Deconstructing Penguins yesterday. I'm two chapters into it so far, but my thoughts are this: Good literature is GOOD literature. I've seen excellent storybooks where they were well thought out and had the elements of good literature!

Once you are analyzing literature and asking yourself:

Why you think of the characters the way they do?

What is the deeper meaning behind names?

Why is it located where it is?

What was the author trying to convey?

Why this theme?

So on and so forth... :D Once you are asking these questions as you read, you are reading analytically! Our goal as homeschoolers should just be teaching our children not to read and "digest" the books, but to break them up, think as we read, understand that authors have a motive and purpose, and look for that deeper meaning, kwim? Once you can do it to ONE book, you can apply to almost ANY book.

Is there a way to make sure you don't miss anything? No. I can read a book, my daughter the same book, and she'll ask, "Hey - did you catch the symbolism in this part?" Uh. Blank look. Stare. No. (She reads MUCH more thoroughly than I do.)

I am enjoying Deconstructing Penguins. Actually I like their idea of "every book is a mystery" and I think it's readily explainable to kids of all ages!

I ended up ordering this one for no other reason than the TOCs were similar and it was $12 cheaper.

Usually I lean toward SWBs recommendations simply because she does know what she's talking about. But at that price I'd really rather be able to get a look at the TOC and a few sample pages.

I'll have to one I ordered on Tuesday. I'll give it a quick read through and post a review.

That's great - thank you!

I've not seen this so it's quite likely I'm going to open my mouth and insert my foot... I apologize ahead of time.

I think the main problem with most mainstream options, and just, honestly, from the TITLE, I'm seeing warning bells, is this:

A report is very different than an analysis.

Telling me the what and who of the book is entirely different than telling me why the author wrote the book (theme) or how his character changed and what underlying (secret) things did to bring about this change.

I have the 3rd/4th grade Evan-Moor How to Report on Books and I don't consider it as teaching lit analysis in any significant way. I use it with my primary grade students mostly as a way to get an easy sample for our charter school portfolio.

Can someone link Figuratively Speaking? There are quite a few titles by that name.

This is the Figuratively Speaking that I am using with my DD. It uses excerpts rather than a whole novel to teach the various terms, which I actually personally prefer. I always *HATED* the way lit analysis was taught in my high school where we analyzed the assigned novels/plays seemingly to death. I'd rather my DD read books for pleasure and then learn about the various terms separately using excerpts.

I bought all of these through the Scholastic dollar days sale a couple of months back.

Teaching Literary Elements with Picture Books

Awesome Hands-On Activities for Teaching Literary Elements (because my dd is a hands-on, artsy person)

Teaching Literary Elements with Favorite Chapter Books

While these do use specific books (which I know the OP didn't want), they are easy to find books and quite a few options. Plus it looks just right for my future 3rd grader.

I am also getting Deconstructing Penguins through ILL to read for me!

I have a dear friend who is Catholic. (By Catholic I mean an active, practicing Catholic... very Catholic, not just "culturally" Catholic.) We have used Teaching the Classics together. We've come across nothing offensive. Just .02.

That is the DVD thing, right? It sound intriguing but I'm so much better with books.

I own Deconstructing Penguins but have not used it so far. We had too much going on this year but I agree with the others that it is not a guide. I found Marva Collins book more useful but that is not a guide either, so I don't want to mislead anyone. I just found it useful at giving me some direction, more than DP. Another resource that I own and will be using is Invitation to the Classics. I purchased The Well-Educated Mind a short while ago and it too has some useful information besides being useful for me while I work my own way through the classics, and I also have SWB's lecture What is Literary Analysis found here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/what-is-literary-analysis-mp3.html

I am still working on my approach with my boys.

Thanks for linking both of these. I'm sure someone can use the first link. I've added it to my cart to use as a refresher. From the link to SWB's workshop I have a very interesting book on the way which SWB linked. I think we can work through it slowly over the next few years.

Added this to my list as well.

I often use Thomas Foster's, How to Read Literature Like a Professor. There's another, older book. I know I have it here somewhere. I will hunt it down. It might be How to Read a Book. I'll look.

This looks interesting! Adding it to my list. There are plenty of reviews on it on Amazon too. How to Read a Book is definitely one of the ones I have on my list.

I just stumbled on this and put it on hold at the library. I may end up getting it.

http://www.amazon.com/Penguin-Dictionary-Literary-Terms-Theory/dp/0140513639/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336259242&sr=1-1

Good items to consider!

I have Essential Literary Terms (the first one on your list, I think) and it is more than just a dictionary of terms. The explanations are quite in depth and there are exercises to go with many of the topics.

I compared the Literary Terms book (the Sunflower one) and ELT on a random topic (irony) and there is no comparison really. The Sunflower one had a couple of simple paragraphs about irony and then you were supposed to write answers to a couple shallow questions not directly linked to really learning about irony and then write a paragraph using irony. It didn't seem particulary helpful. ELT has 4 1/2 pages explaining and giving examples of different kinds of irony and then questions about defining the types of irony, explain what type applies to a passage, describe the effects/feelings/impressions created by irony in 15 passages from classic literature, and then some advanced in depth discussions from longer passages.

ELT is not for youngsters, I use it for my own background understanding but the Sunflowers book doesn't look very useful for anyone.

For my own background knowledge, as a dictionary I have the 3rd edition of Handbook to Literature by Holman and The Book of Literary Terms by Turco in addition to ELT and the books I mentioned in the previous post.

The 3rd book on the list looks like it is directed to teachers - how to teach a class about literary analysis, kind of?

I have Essential Literary Terms (the first one on your list, I think) and it is more than just a dictionary of terms. The explanations are quite in depth and there are exercises to go with many of the topics.

I compared the Literary Terms book (the Sunflower one) and ELT on a random topic (irony) and there is no comparison really. The Sunflower one had a couple of simple paragraphs about irony and then you were supposed to write answers to a couple shallow questions not directly linked to really learning about irony and then write a paragraph using irony. It didn't seem particulary helpful. ELT has 4 1/2 pages explaining and giving examples of different kinds of irony and then questions about defining the types of irony, explain what type applies to a passage, describe the effects/feelings/impressions created by irony in 15 passages from classic literature, and then some advanced in depth discussions from longer passages.

ELT is not for youngsters, I use it for my own background understanding but the Sunflowers book doesn't look very useful for anyone.

For my own background knowledge, as a dictionary I have the 3rd edition of Handbook to Literature by Holman and The Book of Literary Terms by Turco in addition to ELT and the books I mentioned in the previous post.

The 3rd book on the list looks like it is directed to teachers - how to teach a class about literary analysis, kind of?

Thank you for this!

Very useful! Thank you for posting this! Rethinking my list.

Thanks for posting this. I just ordered it, and I can't wait to get it. I think this is the book I have been looking for. :001_smile:

Thanks for this.

We also like these:

Figuratively Speaking

Walch Prose and Poetry (These are good for middle school.)

I went throught both books and arranged them alphabetically. I gave her a composition notebook which she uses as a literary terms dictionary. Each week I give her one or two topics. She completes the worksheets and any writing assignments I give her from the suggested ones. She also copies the definition in her notebook and copies one example from literature which illustrates it. She can usually copy her example from the worksheets, but the idea is for her to go back to these pages and add new ones as she finds them in reading literature. I also made a chart which lined up matching topics (ex. metaphor is covered in both books). This way we can cover a topic and not have to redo it again in the other book. There is a lot of overlap, but then again there is about half in each book that is not the same.

For older students/adults:

I'm reading How to Read Literature Like a Professor and I am really enjoying it. I do plan on having dd read it too. There are some minor references to topics I'd rather not have her read just yet (but will have her read it in a year or so...)

I also really like Perrine's Sound and Sense: An Introduction to Poetry....this covers literary terms as well as being a great anthology of poetry with study questions for the poems.

Invitation to the Classics is another book I intend to use with her in our next syllabus which will cover some Greek Literature.

A Reader's Guide to Shakespeare...this book is very technical and a bit dry, but I find it very helpful as a resource for me. It covers all of the literary techniques, themes, etc of all of his plays, sonnets and poetry.