Menu

Kinesiology and Brain Gym

I dont normally visit this board...but ds12 was diagnosed with dyslexia in January. I sohuld have had him seen before but for some reason was in some denial! It was helpful for him to be labelled. he realises now he is not stupid. it broke my heart to hear him say it.

But what I want to share is that I decided to try Brain Gym with him, with a kinesiologist. I was very skeptical, and it is very expensive. I was going to give it about 3 weeks trial. But every session, he came out such a different kid to the one who walked into the session (I stay with him) I have always said "just one more week". This woman has worked wonders with my son. He has gone from barely being able to type half a page assignments to regularly typing 2 page ones, since February. He is happier, and feels more mature, more grown up, better able to handle his emotions, more confident in his abilities.

He is still going- 2 more sessions then he will finish.

I know it can be a hit or miss thing, brain gym, but I just wanted to share a success story.

I'm so glad to hear that it works. I just purchased Brain Gym for use at home with DD who is in vision therapy, and frankly it looked pretty useless to me at first glance. My therapist insisted it was useful, so I was going to give it a go anyway. Your post will give me more confidence in doing so!

Thanks!

I'm so glad to hear that it works. I just purchased Brain Gym for use at home with DD who is in vision therapy, and frankly it looked pretty useless to me at first glance. My therapist insisted it was useful, so I was going to give it a go anyway. Your post will give me more confidence in doing so!

Thanks!

I think I would find it hard to do from the book, but my son practices at home every school morning and truly the exercises are quite simple and could be learned form a book. We will continue to do them long after we finish our sessions with the kinesiologist.

I think its the sort of thing that wont work for every child but for the ones it will work for, it can be very, very good.

Is Brain Gym similar to Dianne Craft's book "Brain Integration Therapy Manuel?" There isn't a Brain Gym tutor close to where I live.

Vickie

yes,the two are very similar. Brain Gym has books as well...your library may have them..ours did. I have copies of both the Brain Gym books and the Dianne Craft books, but unfortunately, they are misplaced in a box somewhere when we had our house on the market.

Hope that helps some!

I think I would find it hard to do from the book, but my son practices at home every school morning and truly the exercises are quite simple and could be learned form a book. We will continue to do them long after we finish our sessions with the kinesiologist.

I think its the sort of thing that wont work for every child but for the ones it will work for, it can be very, very good.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking originally...too hard for home! However, I have the support of a vision therapist who is telling me what to do and why. So, hopefully it will make a difference. Also, she just has me focusing in two areas that will help with the vision therapy and not on the whole thing. Should help!

The VT reminds me that I am a therapist myself and I CAN DO IT! ;) I'm intimidated for no reason, says she! :D