Menu

How to get started with GOYB Parenting?

I've been over to Joanne's GOYB Parenting site reading like crazy and I love the sounds of this. I desperately need something different than what I've been doing because what I'm doing isn't working and is turning me into a mean person. I am so excited that there is another way besides yelling and time-outs. I had looked at buying the book Raising Godly Tomatoes but the spanking part scared me off.

Does Joanne sell a book? I looked around on her site and couldn't find one. If not, is there another book that is recommended to get the basics of what how to do this? I'm praying there is an ebook out there that I can read and start right now.

There are two books I've used over the years: Easy To Love, Difficult To Discipline and Kids Are Worth It. Both are positive discipline based but with different focuses:

ETL,DTD is more about direct examples and how to behave to ensure cooperation. It's focused on setting not only family limits, but personal boundaries for yourself. Mostly for parents of preschoolers/early school aged, but the techniques and tips help for every relationship.

KAWI talks about the broader picture. There are examples of different discipline styles, but more often it focuses on the general "does it get the intended result while dignity stays intact?" It is a very calming read for me because it doesn't tell me what to do, only gives me the backbone to do what I think is right. This one is more for developing your own parenting style within a framework and figuring out how to discipline, not punish.

I've been over to Joanne's GOYB Parenting site reading like crazy and I love the sounds of this. I desperately need something different than what I've been doing because what I'm doing isn't working and is turning me into a mean person. I am so excited that there is another way besides yelling and time-outs. I had looked at buying the book Raising Godly Tomatoes but the spanking part scared me off.

Does Joanne sell a book? I looked around on her site and couldn't find one. If not, is there another book that is recommended to get the basics of what how to do this? I'm praying there is an ebook out there that I can read and start right now.

Can you post a link?

I'm interested to hear the replies here as well.

But, as an aside Raising Godly Tomatoes can be a great tool even if you don't spank. The main idea is to be consistent. She even talks about how you can implement her suggestions without spanking. :)

I didn't realize this! I found that I could read the RGT book right on her website. Hopefully I'll get some good tips there as well.

I just know that things must change around here. I have 6 kids but this is the first time I've had 2 preschool boys so close together (ages 2 and 3) and they are getting out of control.