Menu

Need blind colleges that meet 100% of demonstrated need

creekland

I came across this list this morning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need-blind_admission

Granted, it's from that "great" source, Wikipedia, but it doesn't look out of line.

It lists US colleges that are need-blind in admissions (don't look at whether or not you are applying for financial aid when deciding whether or not to admit you) AND provide 100% demonstrated need to incoming students. NOTE: This does not mean they give a free education. This means they will grant need (generally including "federal" student loans, but not excessive private loans) above and beyond your EFC and/or CSS profile.

And this means you should know what your EFC is. If it's low, and you don't have a lot of investments, try for one (or more) of these schools.

I can vouch for the University of Rochester... my guy got merit aid, but he also got a hefty URoc grant (does not need to be paid back). He has work study, and federal loans (we're ok with that) and we're down to our EFC - which is low. It would cost us the same (in loans, work study, and EFC) to go to Pittsburgh or Alabama, but URoc is the better school (for what he wants). Same price.

There's a variety of schools on that list. One needs to have good grades and scores for pretty much all of them, but not necessarily out of this world stats.

Then too, if one is so inclined, don't forget the service academy options.

Schools like Amherst, once you get in are generous with grants. I just keep hearing all the college admissions people I know telling me no school is really need blind. They have to keep to some kind of budget. So apply and hope for those schools but have a good back up plan.

Schools like Amherst, once you get in are generous with grants. I just keep hearing all the college admissions people I know telling me no school is really need blind. They have to keep to some kind of budget. So apply and hope for those schools but have a good back up plan.

Having a good back-up plan is excellent advice for pretty much any route in life. ;)

But in general, I posted the list because I (personally, IRL) have seen too many families without much in income apply to schools that don't guarantee to meet anything, then are surprised when they don't get enough in aid to make attending affordable. They end up at their safety (generally a true state school or cc with loans) or don't attend at all due to finances. If they had tried a "meets need" school (or two, or three), who knows what might have happened. For those with stats that fit, it's worth a shot IMO. If it doesn't work out, they still have their back up options.

Having a good back-up plan is excellent advice for pretty much any route in life. ;)

But in general, I posted the list because I (personally, IRL) have seen too many families without much in income apply to schools that don't guarantee to meet anything, then are surprised when they don't get enough in aid to make attending affordable. They end up at their safety (generally a true state school or cc with loans) or don't attend at all due to finances. If they had tried a "meets need" school (or two, or three), who knows what might have happened. For those with stats that fit, it's worth a shot IMO. If it doesn't work out, they still have their back up options.

:iagree:

Yes, it should be tried!

I'm amazed on how similar the language is for meets need, with grant or meets need with major loans. :D

• 3 weeks later...