Menu

Medical people: what is "d-cef" virus?

Yep, C.Diff. I've had it 3 times. The first time I was hospitalized with it. The next 2 weren't as bad, just had to take quite a few drugs.

It is supposedly next to impossible to get it more than once though. I argued with the GI the 3rd time. I knew what I had, having had it before, and he didn't believe me. He tested for it just because I insisted. You should have seen his face when he had to come tell me it was positive.

Yep, C.Diff. I've had it 3 times. The first time I was hospitalized with it. The next 2 weren't as bad, just had to take quite a few drugs.

It is supposedly next to impossible to get it more than once though. I argued with the GI the 3rd time. I knew what I had, having had it before, and he didn't believe me. He tested for it just because I insisted. You should have seen his face when he had to come tell me it was positive.

Shocking considering lots of literature talks about recurrent cases.

My current 3 year old had this in Jan and Feb. He fought it and won. But it was a very scary experience and one hospital completely overlooked it and the THREE GI's we saw said blood in his stool, diarrhea, lack of appetite and vomiting weren't GI issues.

When we asked for a transfer to a pediatric facility we were denied. So we took a discharge and drove him to DuPont Children's several hours away.

The ER doc there was amazed at the condition he was in and things looked very grim for awhile.

Praise GOD, he won.

25% of folks who have it will have a relapse within 1 yr.

I've had it twice.

It is a spore-born illness that happens when your good gut bacteria is depleted by antibiotics. It is very hard to kill.

The last time I had it, I was having diarrhea 75+ times per day. We kept a tally on the wall at the hospital.