Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

#2 kalanamak

kalanamak

Geriatric Primipara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16200 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

C. Difficile aka SEE-DIFF? It is a bacteria that overgrows in the gut, usually within 6 months of taking an antibiotic. Does it involve diarrhea?

#3 simka2

simka2

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5476 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

C. diff. http://en.wikipedia....idium_difficile

Nasty stuff!

#4 fairfarmhand

fairfarmhand

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6418 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

are you thinking of C. Diff?

It is a terrible intestinal bug, I think. IT is what killed my dh's 93 yo. grandfather.

#5 Paisley Hedgehog

Paisley Hedgehog

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3476 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

#6 5 Hikers

5 Hikers

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

Yep, C.Diff. I've had it 3 times. The first time I was hospitalized with it. The next 2 weren't as bad, just had to take quite a few drugs.

It is supposedly next to impossible to get it more than once though. I argued with the GI the 3rd time. I knew what I had, having had it before, and he didn't believe me. He tested for it just because I insisted. You should have seen his face when he had to come tell me it was positive.

#7 iamrachelle

iamrachelle

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

I think you may be referring to C-diff... it's an infection in the colon caused by an overgrowth of "bad" bacteria. It's not a virus though. (I'm an RN...)

Here's a link for you:

http://www.mayoclini...fficile/DS00736

HTH

#8 GAPeachie

GAPeachie

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Yep, C.Diff. I've had it 3 times. The first time I was hospitalized with it. The next 2 weren't as bad, just had to take quite a few drugs.

It is supposedly next to impossible to get it more than once though. I argued with the GI the 3rd time. I knew what I had, having had it before, and he didn't believe me. He tested for it just because I insisted. You should have seen his face when he had to come tell me it was positive.

Shocking considering lots of literature talks about recurrent cases.

My current 3 year old had this in Jan and Feb. He fought it and won. But it was a very scary experience and one hospital completely overlooked it and the THREE GI's we saw said blood in his stool, diarrhea, lack of appetite and vomiting weren't GI issues.

When we asked for a transfer to a pediatric facility we were denied. So we took a discharge and drove him to DuPont Children's several hours away.

The ER doc there was amazed at the condition he was in and things looked very grim for awhile.

Praise GOD, he won.

#9 pfamilygal

pfamilygal

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

25% of folks who have it will have a relapse within 1 yr.

I've had it twice.

It is a spore-born illness that happens when your good gut bacteria is depleted by antibiotics. It is very hard to kill.

The last time I had it, I was having diarrhea 75+ times per day. We kept a tally on the wall at the hospital.

#10 Twigs

Twigs

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3705 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

You can do a tag search for c diff for more info.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c diff

What's with the ads?