Menu

Unique way to display all these scout patches?

Sewing patches on wool blanket... or something else?

My boys have a BUNCH of scout patches that are starting to pile up.

They are not interested in the "lame" red felt vests, or even the red throw blanket that the scout shop sells.

I thought of finding a olive wool blanket, but then worried about washing wool with patches sewn on. Would that be a problem??? (we're in texas, never even owned a wool blanket before! LOL)

Lets face it, they're boys. The blankets will NEED to be washer-friendly. LOL

I just want something "GUY" that is unique and hopefully they will use... And maybe something that we could display at future Eagle ceremonies. (they all want to go Eagle) Want unique but not girly.

They are not interested in putting them in a frame or photo album. Already suggested that too.

I thought about a backpack or hiking gear, but they have ALOT of patches. Don't think those would be big enough either...

Any ideas or suggestions? I'd love your ideas!

What about sewing them on a camping sleeping bag - that would be washable. What about sewing them onto some rugged looking fabric and making a wall hanging for each of them? Or arrange them in a frame ... or get a throw size, washable blanket and sew them on that. Then it could just be folded at the foot of the bed and wouldn't need frequent washing.

I thought of finding a olive wool blanket, but then worried about washing wool with patches sewn on. Would that be a problem???

Nope! I use mine on my bed in winter and put them through the wash in summer. This year I need to do some repairs, but if you sew yours on with a machine, that won't be a problem. If you are going to sew by hand, you can use a doubled thread and probably have no problems either.

I recommend woollen blankets. Buy a nice thick one and it'll last almost forever.

Rosie