Menu

We did our first lesson in LOF Apples today. It was a huge hit, to say the least. Question, though... Do you expand on the lesson? Today was basically the concept of if you have 7 of something, no matter which way you rearrange those 7 items into groups you still have 7. Time was also touched on.

My thought is to re-read it a couple of times and then show other things like if you have 5 items, it all leads back to 5 (or 2 or 10)

Good idea or bad idea?

My kid think it is fun too. It's below their math skills (ages 6 and almost 8), but they enjoy it. we just read and do the problems. We do a page a day,so we are almost done with Apples. I figure it will catch up to their math skill eventually. We don't do any extra with it.

I do it just as intended - one chapter per day, DS writes his answers in his notebook. We don't reread. It's not intended that each chapter be mastered before moving along. The content and concepts are repeated throughout the story. Even in Butterflies the sums adding to seven are reviewed while exploring the sums that add up to nine. If something sparks discussion or questions then we talk but I don't use the book as a jumping off point for my own lesson. The story over time suffices. Additionally, doing the books this way means they take less than a year to work through leaving plenty of opportunity for rereading them if needed/interested before moving on to Fractions.

We expand it when the opportunity arises.

We have a bin of 250+ colored pencils. We did all the 7's.

Okay, what else can we make? 12 is a cool number! Let's explore properties of 12 with pencils-- addition bonds, groups that make 12's (2's, 3's, 4's, 6's... Hey, are any of these related to each other? Can we flip this around and divide 12 into groups??...)

I think we played with colored pencils for a week. Number bonds up to 12 for add/subtract, some redistributing, multiplication of cool numbers like 24, 36, 20, etc.

I would not have gone that far with a 6YO, but was fine doing so with a kiddo who was finishing Singapore 3A. It has taken us several months to get as far as Farming, because we are plumbing the details. With a younger child, I would expand the lessons only lightly, with the plan of going through them again later at a higher grade level-- there is a lot of material there, if you really read it and don't skim!

Yep, the high points have all been hit. If you are going through it with an older child, you might just read and discuss. With a younger, you may choose to expand on the lesson, or you may be going through it once for exposure with a plan to go through it again for depth before hitting Fractions, as you have plenty of time. I'm doing it both ways with my two girls. I agree that there is a *lot* of math in it, deceptively much, and I say if you and your dc have an interest in parking and expanding on a concept, by all means do so! But not to worry, everything will be repeated many times, so don't feel like you have to master each concept as it is introduced.