Menu

Be my sounding board -- go to Convention, or Not? (kind of long)

Quick background: We make one trip to the US every year, for 3 to 4 weeks at a time; part of that is in CO and part in TX. This year we are thinking Aug/Sep for our trip.

There is a convention in August, SWB will be there, that I could go to if we go early enough in August.

But. Here's what's holding me back --- we only spend at most 3 weeks in TX. That's to see my mom, dh's mom, dh's sister, my grandparents, maybe my sister, our boys' friends, etc. It's hectic.

In the 3 weeks or so, I will spend 2 days/1 night just me & my mom; that's our time every year. I am also hoping against hope that a friend will come down and she and I will spend 3 days/2 nights together, just us. Add in the convention, and that's 2 more days/possibly the 1 night away. That adds up to 7 whole days that I would be off doing my own thing, leaving DH and the boys to their own devices. And 4 of those days would be on weekends.

That seems like a lot, no??? It wouldn't be consecutive, but still....

'Course, I was thinking maybe I could convince DH to come with to convention, he & I stay the night and have it be romantic getaway + hs convention all in one..Or, if he's not up for that, maybe I drag my mom to convention?? Do our "girl's weekend" there...?? I don't want to do this with my friend coming in, she's graduated her hs students and I'm sure would not want to spend her time listening to workshops. Well, neither probably would my mom, but she'd do it if I asked.

If I take my mom, I could listen to one workshop only, buy the rest later and just shop the exhibits. then mom and I have time to do other stuff, and she can help me think through purchases.....

hmmm......thoughts?? ideas???

Help me make this work, or convince me it's a bad idea. If you had (at most) 21 days in TX, would you spend 7 of them away from family?? Or, is 5 vs. 7 really that big of a difference???

Edited by TheReader
formatting issues

I am traveling to the Houston convention only because I want to hear SWB before she takes a year break from the conventions. I own most of her audios already, but want to see/hear her live. :D

For me, that would be enough of a reason to attend the TX convention.

see, I've never seen/heard her. I am new to the WTM/classical education way of doing things. All of her topics apply to me right now. All of them.

I have millions of reasons TO go.

Just wondering if that's not too much time away from my family. We have at most 21 days in TX. Already I will spend 5 of those days off doing my own thing. So if I add in 2 more days.....spend a full third of our time there off doing my own thing....is that not too much????

Why not see if your Mom wants to go to the convention with you and make that your special time together? Perhaps she'd be very interested in learning about her grandchildren's educational path? Even if you spent just one day at the convention and the other of your two days together doing something else it could work.

It is not too much IF there is something your hubby and kids could do special to them at the same time that you might not care for (amusement park? fishing trip? go-carts?)

Most likely they would do something with my MIL and SIL.

But that means 2 of the 3 weekends we'll be there, I'd be off and they'd be solo with my in-laws. Which DH would be fine with, I think, but I feel bad about. One of those weekends (when I'm with my mom) would happen anyway, though, so no big deal.

I think I'm leaning towards dragging my mom along with me, then it's just the one normal weekend that I'm gone. The during the week stuff with my friend is not as big an issue.

Hmmm.......decisions, decisions.....

Why not see if your Mom wants to go to the convention with you and make that your special time together? Perhaps she'd be very interested in learning about her grandchildren's educational path? Even if you spent just one day at the convention and the other of your two days together doing something else it could work.

Yea, this is what I'm leaning towards. I could pick *one* workshop to attend, she could tag along for that and do the shopping w/me, then we could do other stuff the rest of the time.....if need be, then I could buy the recording of the other workshops later.

I think if I do it this way, it could work.....