Menu

Tell me about HTTS VS Rod & Staff Spelling

lea1

Can anyone tell me about these two spelling programs? Are they similar to each other and/or to AAS? If you have used them, what did you like and what didn't you like? Anything else you can tell me about them?

I own the entire R&S Spelling by Sound and Structure series, but I can't tell you how it compares to the other two you mentioned.

By the ages in your signature I'm assuming you're interested in the grade 2 book. There are two days worth of work in the workbook, and they expect you to just practice the words for a day or two before the test day. (We practiced by writing them on paper or a whiteboard, or by playing on Spelling City.) The first worksheet has to do with understanding the definitions of the words, and the second one works with the phonetic rule they're targeting. The words may seem light for the grade, but it's the exercises that will strengthen their spelling skills. My DD who recently finished this level can now add a suffix to the end of most words correctly, doubles consonants when needed, and more, and she carries those skills easily into her writing in other subjects. The two book is delightfully simple, doesn't require much time to complete, and gets the job done well.

R&S has workbooks in the grades 2-5 books, and textbooks in the 6-8 books. The spelling is taught phonetically, and children are expected to actually use the rules in the exercises. The word lists can seem light, but the meat is in the exercises. These books are not about memorizing an arbitrary list of words. Throughout the series it ramps up in difficulty at the 4 book, and then again at the 6 book. The 7 and 8 books are focused on root based vocabulary, while the phonetic spelling takes a backseat in priority. The 4-6 books will expect mastery of cursive, and the word lists in 3 are in both print and cursive.

I have four kids currently using these books. Three use them right on grade level, and one uses them ahead of grade level. The one who works ahead is working at least a full grade ahead in every subject, and uses the spelling book that lines up with the average grade of the rest of her language arts.

I can't think of a con. Spelling gets done painlessly yet effectively. :001_smile:

I own the entire R&S Spelling by Sound and Structure series, but I can't tell you how it compares to the other two you mentioned.

By the ages in your signature I'm assuming you're interested in the grade 2 book. There are two days worth of work in the workbook, and they expect you to just practice the words for a day or two before the test day. (We practiced by writing them on paper or a whiteboard, or by playing on Spelling City.) The first worksheet has to do with understanding the definitions of the words, and the second one works with the phonetic rule they're targeting. The words may seem light for the grade, but it's the exercises that will strengthen their spelling skills. My DD who recently finished this level can now add a suffix to the end of most words correctly, doubles consonants when needed, and more, and she carries those skills easily into her writing in other subjects. The two book is delightfully simple, doesn't require much time to complete, and gets the job done well.

R&S has workbooks in the grades 2-5 books, and textbooks in the 6-8 books. The spelling is taught phonetically, and children are expected to actually use the rules in the exercises. The word lists can seem light, but the meat is in the exercises. These books are not about memorizing an arbitrary list of words. Throughout the series it ramps up in difficulty at the 4 book, and then again at the 6 book. The 7 and 8 books are focused on root based vocabulary, while the phonetic spelling takes a backseat in priority. The 4-6 books will expect mastery of cursive, and the word lists in 3 are in both print and cursive.

I have four kids currently using these books. Three use them right on grade level, and one uses them ahead of grade level. The one who works ahead is working at least a full grade ahead in every subject, and uses the spelling book that lines up with the average grade of the rest of her language arts.

I can't think of a con. Spelling gets done painlessly yet effectively. :001_smile:

Thanks so much for this review. It was very helpful. I'm leaning towards R&S but just trying to find out as much as I can before making a final decision. Thanks for your help.

I have a write-up on HTTS on my blog at http://dougcarla.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/how-to-teach-spelling-review/. There are page samples to help you get a better feel for how the program works as well. I am not familiar w/ R and S so can't give any sort of comparison.

Thanks PookieMama, this is great. Very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post this on your blog.