Menu

Math Manipulatives

Lakeside

Hi! I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on where to get manipulatives for fractions? I would prefer wooden ones if I can find them. I thought I had seen some one time and now that I am looking for them, I cannot find them.:confused:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Shannon

For addition and subtraction I printed out pie charts in Excel with the number of pie pieces I needed.

For multiplication and division of fractions I folded a piece of square paper. For example, you fold it in seven vertical strips to represent sevenths, color the number of sevenths indicated in your problem. Then fold it horizontally according to the denominator in the second factor, and shade in the numerator. The overlap of the shaded area represents the product.

Another option is to teach the distributive law when you teach multiplication of integers in the earlier grades and when it comes time to multipy and add fractions you have them apply it to fractions.

I bought some expensive fraction overlays and never used them, folding and cutting paper turned out to be so much more fun.