Menu

Earth Science book question

alexfam

We are going to be covering Earth Science in the 2nd half of the year or whenever we finish Astronomy whichever come first. DS is 6 and loves science. Previous year he read a 2nd grade science book for fun and last year he was in PS. Well, we are homeschooling this year. He has always been ahead in science and quickly catches onto details. I am considering 2 text books for our spine both books are from Prentice Hall. One is for Middle schoolers and the other is for High schoolers/early college who are not science majors. I want a book that I can read to him and we can get the basic of Earth Science but if son wants to go deeper with a topic I will have it availible to me with this textbook.

My question: Should I purchase the Middle school textbook or the highschool/college textbook?

We will be supplementing with library books and hands-on materials.

Thank you

Kathy-TX

I'm going to be using the Prentice Hall Science Explorers Earth Science next year with my upcoming 2nd grader (he's 6, will turn 7 in December.) I picked Science Explorers because it has such great recommendations on these boards. He is PG and reads on a high school level--even so, I know it will be "good challenging" for him. There are lots of concepts that are fairly sophisticated mathematically speaking. He is definately logic stage in his thinking, or I wouldn't consider using them. They are written for 6-8th graders, but will work for us. You know your kids best!

• 2 months later...

Have you seen any of the Usborne Science books. They are really great. My son flips through them all of the time. I am not a rep or anything. My kids just love the books.

I would recommend middle school for your son if you are reading it to him. Some of the high school books are really dry and may bore him to bits.