Menu

Ipod Touch and Internet Access Question

My children want an Ipod Touch, but dh and I are leery of internet access. The oldest is saying that the internet is "password protected" and that they won't be able to access the internet w/o our permission.

Is this true?

Anyone have any regrets about getting their children an Ipod Touch?

Please share with me and thank you in advance for insight.:bigear:

You can't get online without wireless (WiFi) internet access; if it's not password protected WiFi access, your dc will be able to get online without your knowing.

Be careful with iPod passwords. DS added one to mine, that he used, and then he forgot it.....too many attempts and the iPod was rendered useless until I reset it completely and then had to reinstall everything again!

So far as getting online with it - DS doesn't know how to, we don't have WiFi in our house, so he can't get online here.....when we're out and about, he doesn't have it with him, so doesn't get on there. When he wants to add a game to it, he needs to ask me to do it since he doesn't know my Apple password.

Yes, this is true. It's possible to not even set it up for your home WiFi and they won't be able to get on. If they have it out in public in places that offer free WiFi (some McDonald's, almost all Paneras, lots of other places) and they can figure it out, they could access it there.

I have an ITouch and love it. My little guys play on it all the time and I have to turn off the internet when they do or they would be sending strange emails to people on my contact list.

I'm looking into this program that gives you reports of everywhere your router has sent any device. Our church uses it, and our youth pastor highly recommends it.

Our dd has an ipod touch. I've been concerned because she came across one thing by accident because she didn't know the meaning of a word. I've asked her to not get on Youtube on it, and if she wants to get on to use the laptop. On the computers I use Norton Online Family. It's free and you can restrict access by category and block specific sites.

Dd is 15, so I know I can't control everything she will do in the future. I'm trying to trust her now and teach her what to do. It's scary, though. There's so much junk that we would have never had access to when we were young.

Do you have wifi (wireless internet) in your home? If so, then you would have to put the password into the ipod in order for it to access the wifi (and thus the internet). Usually this is done as a one-time thing, but I think you can set it up (on the ipod side of things) so that it needs to be done every time.

If you don't have wifi in your home (your computers must be plugged into your internet cable), then the ipod won't be able to access the internet in your home.

As previous posters have mentioned, some public places have free wifi. You'd have to handle these on a case-by-case basis when you're out.

<speaking gently> Most 14 year olds I know have access to the internet and use it responsibly. You may consider limiting use to times when your dc are with you at first, if you want to be cautious. That said, your oldest will be in college (if this is his path) and thus out of your home for much (all?) of his time in four short years. You have four years to let him start to spread his wings under your watchful eye. He has four years to learn to use the internet on his own wisely (and maybe to learn from some mistakes along the way) before he will have to use it for college classes. My advice would be to not let his independence come in one fell swoop when he goes to college.

Although your dc can't access the internet through your home wireless without having the password, be aware that other homes in your area may have unsecured wifi. If I sit in my bedroom, I have access to three unsecured networks in my neighborhood.

Tara

There are ways to limit and check internet access and use but really once a child has an internet device they can find ways to access wifi and find inappropriate material on the internet. I think it's hard for us sometimes to know how to parent through this because we didn't grow up with it.

You can password protect safari so it doesn't show up as an option. You can still allow apps access and limit the ratings. You can also set it with a password so if they do download something they are unable to delete it until you approve he deletion. If you allow Facebook, but no other Internet, you can have it sent to your email, or texted to you anytime something changes. (updates, friend request, etc)

Although your dc can't access the internet through your home wireless without having the password, be aware that other homes in your area may have unsecured wifi. If I sit in my bedroom, I have access to three unsecured networks in my neighborhood.

Tara

:iagree::iagree:

Not to mention that you can allow immediate connection after the password is input. Its not that difficult.

<speaking gently> Most 14 year olds I know have access to the internet and use it responsibly. You may consider limiting use to times when your dc are with you at first, if you want to be cautious. That said, your oldest will be in college (if this is his path) and thus out of your home for much (all?) of his time in four short years. You have four years to let him start to spread his wings under your watchful eye. He has four years to learn to use the internet on his own wisely (and maybe to learn from some mistakes along the way) before he will have to use it for college classes. My advice would be to not let his independence come in one fell swoop when he goes to college.

I couldn't have said it better.

You can set restrictions right on the Ipod.

Under Settings/General/Restrictions.

You can turn off Safari, Youtube, etc.

My DD has wifi access (password protected) because some of her apps need internet, but I have Safari, Youtube, and in IN-APP purchases turned off. She also uses it to Facetime with my family.

Everything she does (such as downloading a new app) requires her to come to me to input my apple password and/or my restrictions password. I only allow one new app per week, even if they are free.

I can go in and raise or lower her access to everything I want, whenever I want.

There are ways to limit and check internet access and use but really once a child has an internet device they can find ways to access wifi and find inappropriate material on the internet. I think it's hard for us sometimes to know how to parent through this because we didn't grow up with it.
:iagree::iagree::iagree: 100% Agree!

We've already been through this situation with our sons using (w/o permission) dh's "semi-smart" phone (it can access the internet and retrieve emails, but that's it). Thankfully it was nothing "red-hot nasty" but they did violate our trust. We have forgiven them and are trying to move on which is the only reason we're even entertaining the idea of getting an ipod touch.:)

Tara

Yes, this is true of our neighborhood as well.

Do you have wifi (wireless internet) in your home?
Yes

...If so, then you would have to put the password into the ipod in order for it to access the wifi (and thus the internet). Usually this is done as a one-time thing, but I think you can set it up (on the ipod side of things) so that it needs to be done every time.
Okay. Good to know. :thumbup1:

...If you don't have wifi in your home (your computers must be plugged into your internet cable), then the ipod won't be able to access the internet in your home.

As previous posters have mentioned, some public places have free wifi. You'd have to handle these on a case-by-case basis when you're out.

Hmmm... yeah... this is what "complicates" the matter. :confused1:

...<speaking gently> Most 14 year olds I know have access to the internet and use it responsibly.
Thanks for the note on speaking gently ;)

...You may consider limiting use to times when your dc are with you at first, if you want to be cautious.
Yup, we are trying to do this with the computers he has access to for schoolwork (our 2 laptops). He has to ask first for permission to check emails, chat, research.

...That said, your oldest will be in college (if this is his path) and thus out of your home for much (all?) of his time in four short years. You have four years to let him start to spread his wings under your watchful eye. He has four years to learn to use the internet on his own wisely (and maybe to learn from some mistakes along the way) before he will have to use it for college classes. My advice would be to not let his independence come in one fell swoop when he goes to college.
Excellent point and I'm so glad you shared that. There is a great tension going on here -- we want so much to trust him and we remind him he has to faithful in the little things. There are mistakes being made, and we struggle in considering whether we're being too permissive or too restrictive. <<<sigh>>>

I will share today's comments with dh. Thank you again.

If anyone else wants to join in the conversation, I'm still all ears. :bigear: