Menu

41 weeks, 5 cm dilated, baby won't drop...

This is getting incredibly frustrating. I was planning to deliver at a birthing center but now I'm being told that I have one week before I have to go to the hospital to be induced.:sad:

I had an ultrasound today and the baby, fluid level, and placenta are all very healthy.

I also had an appointment with the midwife and he said that I'm 5 cm dilated but the baby hasn't dropped enough for him to break my water. He did strip my membranes again. I've had several strong contractions but nothing regular. If the baby has moved down on Tuesday they intend to break my water and hopefully I'll go into active labor. If not, I'll have to go to the hospital for pit.

I've been dilated now for three weeks!!!! I started seeing the chiropractor this week and while my ligament pain is getting better, the baby still hasn't dropped from the adjustments.

Any ideas on how to get him to come down???? :) I've read that walking and sitting on an exercise ball can help. Any other ideas?

:grouphug: IME, Pitocin was not so bad. I only say that because I had been told how awful Pitocin would be and that "nobody" labors without drugs on Pitocin. This was not true. Good luck to you.

:grouphug: IME, Pitocin was not so bad. I only say that because I had been told how awful Pitocin would be and that "nobody" labors without drugs on Pitocin. This was not true. Good luck to you.

You're the first person to tell me that about pitocin! I needed to hear that. I had an epidural with my first and hated it. I couldn't walk for two days and just felt so drugged up when she came out.

:iagree:I labored on pitocin with no drugs. Doesn't mean I wouldn't have loved some relief, but it was doable.

You're the first person to tell me that about pitocin! I needed to hear that. I had an epidural with my first and hated it. I couldn't walk for two days and just felt so drugged up when she came out.

It's definitely true - I've been at several births where the women had pitocin with no pain medication. I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing pain medication with pitocin, but they certainly aren't required to go hand-in-hand.

Keep in mind that a week at this stage is a long time! It could literally happen any minute :)

It is also possible that if you do end up getting induced, you'll just need a little push to get you going, and they may be able to cut back or eliminate the pitocin once labor is established.

If you're up for some teA, you could try that and lie on the bed with your hips elevated afterwards for awhile. They say the *ahem* deposit can help start some contractions.

I feel ya though. I went over with all 3 pregnancies. I was induced at 41 weeks even with my oldest because I had a placental abruption and they used cytotec ( a pill they insert). They were planning on giving me a few doses of that through the night and then starting a pitocin drip in the morning. Well, after two doses of the pill, I went into full blown labor and it was awful, awful. The pill made my contractions come right on top of one another with no break. I hyperventilated so bad that I had to have an oxygen mask.

I vowed to never be induced again unless the baby's life was in danger. With my DS, they told me the same thing as your dr. told you. I was 7 days over and they scheduled an induction 4 days later. I did EVERYTHING. I walked, had teA, walked some more ( I went grocery shopping at 41 weeks 2 days), took red raspberry leaf capsules, had my membranes stripped TWICE. I hit my knees hard and prayed for God to let this baby come naturally. At 4AM the day before my induction, I went into labor on my own.

I went 6 days over with my last baby.

:grouphug:

Have you tried other natural induction techniques (not sure if I can post them here ...) ?

I agree with the other poster that walking might help the baby come down more. I had to have pit with one of mine ... and while it was difficult -- it was only a little worse than my natural labor. ETA: I made it to 7cm with no drugs on pit and then felt like I couldn't do it anymore ... um, that is apparently because I was in transition and nobody told me. Baby was delivered within 15 min of the epi. Looking back on that, I feel that I could have done it without if I had to do it again...but had no realistic notion of how labor would be b/c I started out at 1cm.

Edited by mommy5

:iagree:I labored on pitocin with no drugs. Doesn't mean I wouldn't have loved some relief, but it was doable.

:iagree:

I did the same thing. I was in active labor for over 35 hours and finally ended up on pitocin. Yes, an epidural would have been nice but I got through it.

My DD would not drop, I was a week over due. I did plie in second position and I could feel her press down more everytime....basically I stood with my feet apart, toes and knees turned out and bent my knees until my rear end was between my knees.you can do the same thing on an exercise ball. I went into labor after teaching a tap and jazz class ;) moving around and plies/squats.

Walk, walk, walk. I mean, walk a lot, like a few miles at once if you're up for it. It will be slow going but just walk and hydrate, walk and hydrate.

Have they done an ultrasound to check the position of the cord and make sure baby isn't tangled up in there? I'd ask for that if they haven't done it yet.

Are you sure about your due date? Could it be off by a few days or more?

You can ask for a non-stress test though the results are somewhat subjective. I would ask for it before agreeing to induction.

Often only first babies drop. Later ones sometimes don't drop until you are in labor. I wouldn't worry about it. Just because you are not in labor today doesn't mean you won't be in labor tomorrow. Average, according to my midwife, is 41 weeks 3 days. You aren't even to average yet :)

Seriously, I remember being where you are. My daughter was born at 41 weeks 5 days. Short easy labor. Don't borrow trouble :)

TRuthfully I wouldn't worry about it although I know that is easier said than done. With my 5th baby(now 6 weeks old:D ) I had an appointment at noon, was told I was 1cm and not thinning at all, went home, cleaned, made dinner, gave the other 4 baths and had the baby just before midnight. So the fact that the baby is high means very little imo. Hang in there, tonight just might be your night!

ETA:forgot to mention that I was 41 weeks as well and they were talking induction with me as well. I told them I wouldn't even consider it until I was 42+ weeks.

Thanks for all the advice and replies. I feel much better know that if I have to be induced that others have done it drug free!

As for the cord, I did not think to ask about that but I did have an ultrasound today and nobody mentioned anything about the cord being a problem. She took a lot of measurements so I assume that if it was a problem she would have noticed. I also got a non-stress test done and everything looked great.

I'm only worried about about the baby dropping because the midwife told me that they would break my water IF he had dropped enough by Tuesday.

I'm praying it all works out and I'm doing my best not to stress about it too much.

Well, I'm glad I could be an encouragement to you. :001_smile: I used Hynobirthing to help cope with labor and it worked fine.

IME, Pitocin was not so bad. I only say that because I had been told how awful Pitocin would be and that "nobody" labors without drugs on Pitocin. This was not true. Good luck to you.

:iagree:

I have had pitocin twice with no pain meds. I had to be induced 4 times and have never used any pain meds. My labors were not that long it was the pushing that was hard for me because all of my kids were positioned wrong.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Oh, I just want to let you know that I know how you feel. My last three babies all came two weeks and two weeks, three days past my *due date*. I did the same thing, walked around at 5cm for DAYS!

I agree with the walking, but equally important is resting and doing things to relax like taking a nice long bath.

One of mine was nearly born in a park.

Prodromal labor is emotionally exhausting. :grouphug:

:iagree: especially since you are so dilated. I walked around for a month dilated to 4 with my last one :001_huh:. I had pit with my first and it wasn't bad, but I was dilated to a 3/4 when they started it. My water had broke but no contractions till pit.

Babies don't have to drop for a woman to go into labor.

My question would be what position is the baby's head in? Is it nice and OA, well applied to the cervix? Or is it asynclitic?

If the cord were so much of an issue that it's keeping baby from coming down just a smidge, the chances are that your mw would have heard some very slight decels when doing some gentle stimulation to see how heart tones do. For example, I gently wiggle baby's bottom at the last four visits. Baby's heart tones will go up a bit then come back down which is a good indicator of how they'll do with the stimulation of labor. Typically when there is a cord that may cause issues during labor you will not get such a reaction in the FHT, it sometimes dips a tiny bit. Also, the cord being what's keeping baby from coming down just a few centimeters is very, very rare.

While it is true that for some women Pit isn't that bad, it's still not what you wanted for this birth. (((Hug))) Try as best as you can not to stress. If you are stressed about it the baby will sense that and it could hold things up. Take some time each day to just sit (tailor sitting is great!) and quiet your mind/emotions. Talk to the baby. Let any stress go and visualize your body doing what it knows to do.

Keep walking, and spend some time talking to yourself and the baby.

Fwiw, none of my babies have dropped until well into labor. With my third baby, he was really high, and then my water broke. He dropped fast, and twenty minutes later, I was holding him in my arms. Sending good thoughts to you!

I had pit after stalling at 6 cm with a posterior. It was bad at that point, but I was basically in transition.

Dd had her first baby 8 months ago, had to be induced because she was Strep B positive and her water had broken. She made it through 21 hours of labor with zero pain meds. This was a 20yo who didn't even take a birthing class (although she did do a good bit of reading and I talked to her a lot). It is not unmanageable, especially if you have them increase it gradually.

However, avoiding it is best of course, so I hope you get some ideas that will help!

Babies don't have to drop for a woman to go into labor.

My question would be what position is the baby's head in? Is it nice and OA, well applied to the cervix? Or is it asynclitic?

If the cord were so much of an issue that it's keeping baby from coming down just a smidge, the chances are that your mw would have heard some very slight decels when doing some gentle stimulation to see how heart tones do. For example, I gently wiggle baby's bottom at the last four visits. Baby's heart tones will go up a bit then come back down which is a good indicator of how they'll do with the stimulation of labor. Typically when there is a cord that may cause issues during labor you will not get such a reaction in the FHT, it sometimes dips a tiny bit. Also, the cord being what's keeping baby from coming down just a few centimeters is very, very rare.

While it is true that for some women Pit isn't that bad, it's still not what you wanted for this birth. (((Hug))) Try as best as you can not to stress. If you are stressed about it the baby will sense that and it could hold things up. Take some time each day to just sit (tailor sitting is great!) and quiet your mind/emotions. Talk to the baby. Let any stress go and visualize your body doing what it knows to do.

The bolded is what I wonder as well. Check out this site for tips on positioning:

http://www.spinningbabies.com/

Drive over railroad tracks, was the advice I've always been told. S*x worked for me. I never was overdue, though.

I walked a friend into labor, though. We walked about five miles, her Braxton-Hicks were so bad, then she was really in labor, got home in time, too. Her 4th delivery.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear about your baby being here.

Pitocin here and it WAS horrible. :(

Due to first DS an emergency C-section (born with Strep), and before they routinely treated you for Strep with subsequent DC, I had to have the pitocin to give birth within 24 hours of water breaking with 2nd DS. Sadly, I was not very dilated, and I reacted badly with the pitocin -- had NO time to react as the pitocin made me shoot to the top of the pain curve for every single contraction with no warning -- and most were back-to-back-to-back contractions! (:0 I managed it for 5 hours, got to 5cm, and finally had to ask for the epi because I was tensing up so badly from the pain it was slowing everything down again. And I am not a wimp about pain. After the epi, I almost fell asleep and in 2 hours went from 5 to 10cm -- and mind you, it was like a FIRST birth, because DS #1 was a c-section! Pushed for less than an hour, still with the effects of the epi and it was GREAT -- I didn't feel a thing! ;)

All that to say, I had not wanted the pitocin -- but since it kept me from having a second c-section, it was worth it. I bounced back so much faster, and it was a much pleasanter experience (once I got the epi). Not how I would have written the story, but I was just so thankful to have a healthy baby, and not have another c-section! :)

BEST of luck, hoping everything gets moving naturally and SOON, with a wonderful birth and a healthy delivery! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

If it's any consolation, none of mine came down until I was in active labor. On the day I gave birth to my last I was over a week overdue, she hadn't dropped and I wasn't dilated at all. Labor started, we raced to the hospital and she was born within two hours.

My situation was similar to yours with ds#5. They kept stripping my membranes (OW!) which had worked within 8 hours with ds2, ds3 and ds4. But little #5 wasn't budging...and was so high that they could barely reach him. Anyway, they ended up giving me prostaglandin gel (? I think, anyway). The midwife administered it at the hospital and I went home. That night I went into labor and little man was born at the birthing center in the morning...10 lbs, 15 oz. He didn't drop until I was actively pushing and complete.

Good luck to you Mama~

I'm sorry. :(. I just had baby 5 at 42 weeks 2 days because doctor said I needed to be induced. Baby was -2 station when I went in. She broke my water and really nothing happened (not even any water came out). So a friend suggested just a whiff of pitocin. I was given 2ml (I was told most women get 20ml!!!!). The whiff was just enough to get me moving into otherwise normal natural labor. No epidural, quick progress, etc.

I had tried every natural method to induce labor (except castor oil, yuk!!) and nothing even gave me contractions! I guess keep trying, check out spinning babies.com. I get how frustrating it can be!! I did not want mine to be so medical but the baby had to come out! I'm convinced she wouldn't have on her own. Ha.

Hope all goes well and without needing to be induced.

This is going to sound crazy, but a good cry always worked for me:confused: I guess it helped to relax me. All the pent up tension needed a release and that seemed to get things going. Even if you don't realize the tension, it is there;)

I think there really is something to this. The mind is very powerful and maybe you just need to release some fears, doubts, whatever. And also, like a PP said, talk to the baby frequently as well and suggest that it's time to come out. :)

:iagree: Position is so important to birth. Sometimes all it takes it a little adjustment in baby's position and things become much more efficient and s/he can just fly out! That was what happened with my DS. He was posterior, I did a few things to encourage him to turn, he did, and he was born very shortly thereafter.

I'm almost 40 weeks so I've been looking into this for a bit just in case. :001_smile: Two of my babies were early, so I really expected to go into labor before this!

I've heard that the crying thing is good, and also laughing, so renting a really funny or really sad movie may help? At least it will take your mind off things a bit and relieve some stress.

Also I tried this recipe a couple of weeks ago because I was trying to go into labor before my husband left for his business trip http://shoppingfortwo.com/Articles/Pregnancy/breakyourwatercookies.htm These cookies are delicious! Even though they didn't put me into labor (I obviously wasn't ready yet) maybe just the act of making them would help and also get your mind off of things.

Fresh (not canned) pineapple is supposed to help too.

These are some of the things I was willing to try because they aren't too invasive (and most of them involve food :tongue_smilie:)

Also a PP mentioned Hypnobabies...I'm using the program right now, but even if you aren't, they have a couple of free downloads to listen to here. I recommend the "Relax Me" track. (This is coming from somebody who had no hypnosis experience, and had no desire to learn.) I just kept hearing good things about it, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Just learning how changing my breathing could help me relax really helped me. If you're under a lot of stress, it may help you. They also have tracks you can buy separately, and there's one called "Come Out Baby" that's supposed to help moms who are past their due dates.

My husband is coming back from his trip tonight so I'll probably be trying some of these things again. I'll let you know if any of them work!

Same here, I've had two induced with Pit and didn't have to have any drugs. Good luck!!

I agree. I had pitocin with my 4th because she wasn't wanting to come out. :glare: No pain medication with her.

To the OP. None of my 4 ever dropped. I had to work to get them out. Good thing was that they all had round heads when they were born. :tongue_smilie:

Often only first babies drop. Later ones sometimes don't drop until you are in labor. I wouldn't worry about it. Just because you are not in labor today doesn't mean you won't be in labor tomorrow. Average, according to my midwife, is 41 weeks 3 days. You aren't even to average yet :)

Seriously, I remember being where you are. My daughter was born at 41 weeks 5 days. Short easy labor. Don't borrow trouble :)

All 10 of my babies were born at 41+ weeks. Most were over 42 weeks. And after the first few babies, mine tended to drop in labor.