Menu

2nd Grade Curriculum for Gifted & a good K curriculum??

mommyto4QT

Hi, I am brand new to homeschooling and feeling overwhelmed by the choices. I'm looking for recommendations for a 2nd grade curriculum that is good for gifted children (quick learner, reads above grade level, etc) along with suggestions for a Kindergartner that is an average learner.

Things that are Important to me:

1. Christian based

2. Affordability

3. Easier for a 1st time homeschooling mom to figure out.

Should I go with 2 separate curriculum or try to combine?

I thought about Heart of Dakota, but not sure if that would be a good choice??

Should I get different subjects from different places? Or try a all-in-one curriculum?

Most all-in-one curriculum are not good for gifted students. Gifted students tend to fly through some subjects and be average or behind on others. I would not combine except for areas that are average/behind for the 2nd grader, and read-alouds. IMO. What are his areas of strength?

Most all-in-one curriculum are not good for gifted students. Gifted students tend to fly through some subjects and be average or behind on others. I would not combine except for areas that are average/behind for the 2nd grader, and read-alouds. IMO. What are his areas of strength?

:iagree: :bigear:

Agree with PPs about all-in-ones.

That said, Tapestry of Grace is used effectively by at least a few parents with gifted/accelerated children here. TOG covers all years, K-12. The ancients year treats Biblical narrative as historical fact, otherwise is a fairly ecumenical curriculum (I understand). TOG suggests planning/purchasing the books one unit (that is, one quarter of a year) at a time in case children shift between levels. If you try it, it is important to not think you are supposed to be doing ALL the activities. They give a surplus so you can find what fits.

I've had good luck with Ambleside Online (that and Simply Charlotte Mason and Charlotte Mason Help/Higher Up Further In are Protestant, Mater Amabilis is Catholic, Milestones Academy is Latter Day Saint: these are Charlotte Mason curricula); Button is thriving with the AO that I've incorporated this year (we have drawn from Year 1). The readings are sufficiently advanced that he is not bored. You end up supplementing your own math, science if you want it, and often language arts (spelling, grammar, &c -- KISS is a natural grammar fit for this). Of the programs, Milestones is designed to make life easy for those schooling multiple children, the history and science are shared. Her resources, except for the religious instruction, are Protestant or ecumenical/secular.

hth ...

If one of your main goals is simple to implement, then I would recommend trying to find a challenging boxed curriculum. Perhaps reading this recent thread would help which asked which are the most rigorous, complete curriculum packages:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365948&highlight=challenging+boxed

Buying a box certainly is not the most affordable way to go. Putting together the curriculum yourself can save you at least half the money it would cost you to buy boxed curricula. The upside of piecing it together is that you can personalize the curriculum for each child. The downside is that it will take you a lot more time in planning. However, I think once you get the hang of homeschooling, you will like piecing it together a lot better than a box.

I have a child who will be an advanced 2nd grader next year. I thought about listing my curriculum but decided not to because I think it would be too overwhelming as a new homeschooler to try to figure out how to implement all of the programs. However, if you are interested in seeing my list, let me know and I'll post it.

I have a child who will be an advanced 2nd grader next year. I thought about listing my curriculum but decided not to because I think it would be too overwhelming as a new homeschooler to try to figure out how to implement all of the programs. However, if you are interested in seeing my list, let me know and I'll post it.

I'd love to see it! :)

I agree with others that an all-in-one is probably not what you want to do. I tried that one year and had to supplement so much that the curriculum I bought to cover all subjects became the supplement.

Rod & Staff is Christian and inexpensive, but may be overkill for a bright child. Perhaps something like KONOS in a bag or TOG, since both are upwardly-adjustable for a child who needs more challenge. TOG's kind of scary for a newcomer, though. Even I feel overwhelmed when looking at it. I've been impressed with the learning and retention from the Charlotte Mason resources a PP listed, but it does take some research on how to implement the booklist to make it effective.

My suggestions:

Math Mammoth or Singapore (with the Home Instructor's Guide)

Rod & Staff Grammar 3

Spelling by Sound and Structure (unless your child needs a more intensive spelling program, then I suggest AAS or Apples & Pears)

Writing With Ease 2 (the workbook)

A Child's History of the World (read aloud, you might want to skip the first chapter or two, since it starts with the Big Bang, but the rest of the text is more Christian than Story of the World)

NOEO science (you can choose between biology, physics, and chemistry)

lots of library books - This includes literature (I like AO and HUFI for their lists), and extra science and history reading. The reader lists that Sonlight has are good, pick a few books off of that list, check them out from the library, and you're done!

You can combine your kindergartner for literature, history and science, then get math on his level, maybe Rod & Staff 1st grade, handwriting (the HWT workbook is good, as is Zaner-Bloser), a phonics/learn to read program (I like Dancing Bears) and some library books on his level.

Edited by Aurelia

Oh, another option for history is A Picturesque Tale of Progress by Olive Beaupre Miller. It's been out of print for awhile, but I think they have released a new printing. It covers both ancient history through the Middle Ages, and dedicates a large part of at least a couple of the books to Biblical history. It's not a curriculum, but you can read it aloud and discuss it.

I'd love to see it! :)

Okay, you asked for it. Below is my basic plan for my advanced 2nd grader next year. I list the core curriculum first, and then our supplements.

The reason I have so much is because I had to scramble this year trying to find more things for my advanced child to do which would challenge her since she was plowing through all of her work so easily. Sorry this is so long--please don't throw tomatoes. :tongue_smilie:

Core 2nd grade:

Math--Horizons 2, plus Singapore's Challenging Word Problems workbook level 1

Grammar--Rod and Staff English grade 2

Spelling--Spelling Power (This is a nice program because it has spelling lists from 1st grade through middle/high school so that you can find an appropriate level for your advanced students).

Writing--Winning With Writing level 3, plus Writing With Ease workbook level 2, plus finish 2nd half of IEW SWI-A

Reading--(I choose books at a challenging reading level from Veritas Press, Ambleside Online, and SonLight lists. My child will read aloud from to me for about 15 minutes per day).

Handwriting--Handwriting Without Tears (cursive)

Literature—Read alouds selected from Ambleside Online, Veritas Press, and Epi Kardia (many are supplements to our history reading)

Science--Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding K-2 (Nebel)

History—For world history read one chapter per day from A Child's History of the World (except skip first four chapters), and when that is finished for American history read The Story of the Thirteen Colonies and the Great Republic; meanwhile work on history lapbooks (3 for the year) and basic timeline

Geography—The Complete Book of Maps and Geography grades 3-6, plus activities from Map Trek that go along with history reading

Supplements:

Reading Comprehension--Evan Moor Skill Sharpeners Reading level 3, and one literature guide form Blackbird and Company

Grammar--Language Smarts level C

Vocabulary--Wordly Wise 3000 workbook

Logic--Building Thinking Skills level 1 from the Critical Thinking Co.

Memory work--Bible verses, History, Geography, Science

Public Speaking--A Beka's Oral Language Exercises, and Lapbook presentations to the grandparents

Music--Music appreciation from the What Your _-Grader Needs to Know books (music chapters), and piano lessons

Art--Mark Kistler's online drawing lessons, and Meet the Masters

Civics/Government/State history--O, Say Can You See? (Keenan), and state history lapbook

German—Free online programs from our library

Ok, I'll jump on the wagon and post my 2nd & K plans too, BUT I still want to see the OP's child's strengths. My 2nd grade plan is geared towards a very science- and logic-oriented VSL ADHD girl. My plans change CONSTANTLY though. :lol:

Science (after RSO Life all summer for fluffy fun): RSO Chem, BFSU II, interest-led, outside science class

Math (after living math all summer): Beast Academy 3, Peggy Kaye math games, MathRider

Phonics: Dancing Bears Fast Track. We'll probably be on Book C by then.

Spelling: All About Spelling. I have levels 3 and 4 for the fall.

Logic: Primarily Logic, Building Thinking Skills

World Cultures/Countries/copywork/geography: Amanda Bennett Unit studies

Spanish: Salsa Spanish

ASL: Signing Time

Circle time: Scriptures, poetry, songs.

Kindergarten (for a girl who seems to like each subject equally, which baffles me):

Science: tagging along on RSO and BFSU, interest-led

Math: MEP 1 (did Reception in Pre-K), Peggy Kaye games

Phonics: All About Reading, Happy Phonics

Spelling: All About Spelling level 1

Logic: Lollipop Logic 3, Primarily Logic

World Cultures/Countries/copywork/geography: Amanda Bennett Unit studies

Spanish: Salsa Spanish

ASL: Signing Time

Circle time: Scriptures, poetry, songs.

Plus read-alouds and audiobooks and art on demand.

They overlap on the Spanish, ASL, circle time, science, and unit studies.

My dc are pretty accelerated, and we found that HOD just was not a good fit. They work at different levels in different subjects, which makes it hard to follow someone else's lesson plans. We just use curricula at our own pace and tailor it to work for us. That way I can ensure that they are being challenged where they are at.