Menu

Summer Internships

I was talking with someone about summer internships and he made the observation that many of the internships had fall apply dates. So he kept running into great candidates who had missed the application window because they didn't think of summer programs until after Christmas. (One program deadline I saw browsing was in November.)

He also made the comment that if you were interested in national security or intelligence, that there were far more agencies with internships than most people thought of (ex. Naval Research Labs doesn't get a lot of time is spy thriller films).

A benefit to the internships is that is initiates the process for getting a security clearance. This is a big deal for applying for jobs after graduation, both in government and with contractors who work with the government.

Not to imply that everyone needs to get a government job or go into national security, but that was the topic I was discussing with this guy. I'd love to see other folks add internships in other fields.

Office of Naval Intelligence Summer Intern Program

Defense Intelligence Agency Student Programs

NGA Student Opportunities

State Department Student Programs

I would like to second the point -- internships are HUGE!

A grad student I know just received a three-year NSF grant, which is quite an accomplishment. Applicants receive their application back with comments from the reviewers. The thing on the grant application that received the most comments from the reviewers was the internships that the student had had.

Dd has applied and interviewed for a summer internship that would be a feather in her cap given her interests. She should get notification this next week.

We are praying that this would come through, b/c if it does, she would get to be with two branches of extended family while there is a transition (eldercare-related) and she could be a real help in making the transition a memorable joy, rather than just a hard slog.

If anyone wants to pray with us, feel free. : )

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Bumping this, since the season for applications is about to kick off again.

Most of these programs target college students, but a few have something for high schoolers too.

One thing to note is that the internships are often not paid, and the student is responsible for finding their lodging and transportation.

I found a few more, usually just by searching on the name of the agency and "internships"

USDA Student Employment

Smithsonian

Long list of internships

I also found listings for individual National Parks (which seem to do volunteer applications individually).

Even the living history site where one of my kids volunteers has an internship program.

My daughter was hoping for a summer internship in advertising this summer, and found that, also - internships often post in winter. She just found out a google internship is posting soon, so she's working on redoing her resume.

so not just tech and gov't!

Glad you gave this a bump. This is an important topic. Locally, I see most internship opening in the winter, but it is not too early for students to start to think about it. I recently looked at some research of new college grads. It was very clear - students who did not intern often regretted it and students who did felt it helped them on the job market. I would encourage anyone with college age students to give them the bump to start asking professors and make a visit to the career services office on campus as well. http://homeschoolsuccess.com/advice-from-college-grads/

Edited by Barbara H