Menu

Jacobs Geometry: Does anyone prefer 3rd edition?

I'm researching Geometry for next year and just discovered that I donated my 2nd edition Jacobs text to the local thrift shop by accident (still cringing as I think of it). All I had was the student text, which is widely available, so I'm not that upset about it. Anyway, since I'm going to have to buy it again along with the TE & tests, I'm wondering if I should go through the trouble of trying to find the 2nd edition or just go with the 3rd.

I see mixed reviews on Amazon, with some very adept math people saying the 3rd is actually a vast improvement.

So, who has used Jacobs 3rd and liked it? Anyone prefer it to the 2nd edition? I hope this hasn't been asked a million times. :D

I have used both. I used 2nd edition with my oldest dd and 3rd edition with my middle. I am also using 3rd edition with a student I am tutoring.

What I like better about the 3rd edition is that you don't have a ton of given/prove. You have a lot of proofs that you are stepped through by Jacobs asking leading questions. You have a lot of proofs where the statements are given and you have to tell why.

There are still regular proofs in the 3rd edition, just not nearly as many.

But then I was trying to teach the 3rd edition in a classroom situation. The 3rd edition is 'unusual' in that there is very little direct instruction. It is more of 'draw this and tell me what you think'... it works for students who THINK LIKE JACOBS--but for the rest of us it was torture!

The 2nd edition (IMHO) is a much better text-- more complete and more straightforward.

One needs to understand that the 3rd edition text was written specifically for use in the classes that Jacobs is CURRENTLY teaching. Without his examples and the other 'information' left out of the text (but present in HIS lectures) it can be disorganized and lacking. It is also very difficult to schedule (what problems to assign)-- you can't do just the odds--too many odd problems require information from the ANSWERS to the evens... It is NOT laid out like his other texts.

I can see this working fine for independent students who THINK like Jacobs (similar learning styles)--but it is not for every one and therefore is not a text I would recommend.

I can see this working fine for independent students who THINK like Jacobs (similar learning styles)--but it is not for every one and therefore is not a text I would recommend.

Well, Jann I certainly respect your opinion. We have followed all of your recs for Lial's for BCM & Algebra 1, and Ds is flourishing. I've read all your posts re geometry, but I'm still having a hard time figuring out what we should use if I want to teach geometry, which came naturally for me in high school and college. I know you like Holt, but I don't think I have the expertise (especially testing knowledge) to sort through and plan for using it in a year.

I must admit, I was hoping you might pop in here. So, what would you recommend for those who want to teach geometry without an online course?

I suspect Ds might do well with Jacob's as he is a wordy person and it might click with him, (notice the 'mights') but I'm open to other suggestions

I'm researching Geometry for next year and just discovered that I donated my 2nd edition Jacobs text to the local thrift shop by accident (still cringing as I think of it). All I had was the student text, which is widely available, so I'm not that upset about it. Anyway, since I'm going to have to buy it again along with the TE & tests, I'm wondering if I should go through the trouble of trying to find the 2nd edition or just go with the 3rd.

I see mixed reviews on Amazon, with some very adept math people saying the 3rd is actually a vast improvement.

So, who has used Jacobs 3rd and liked it? Anyone prefer it to the 2nd edition? I hope this hasn't been asked a million times. :D

I can't comment from a 'teacher' standpoint, but I compared the two side by side and dd and I both preferred the second edition for reasons we can't put into words. I suspect it's along the lines of what Jann posted, though. :D

If you decide on the second edition and don't have a source for it yet, I do have mine available for sale... I have the text, the Teacher's Guide (actually I have two TGs~~ not sure how that happened :confused:) and most of the tests. I have all the answers, but not all the tests. I do have tests & answers from the 3rd ed. that I used in place of the missing ones, though. It doesn't align perfectly, but we managed. Anyway, I just thought I'd toss that in for you, as I know I had a hard time finding mine, which is how I wound up with a few missing tests!

I do wish you luck in deciding--- there are just so many options!!

We are LOVING your recommendation of Lial's Intro Algebra for Alg I and will prob use Lial's Intermediate Alg. for Alg II (right?). Can you give your pros/cons for these two programs and what you might choose if doing this solo at home (no online or tutors)? I am comfortable teaching what I need to my children.

Would you suggest the videos to accompany either program?

Jacobs - Callahan

Holt - Thinkwell

Thx so much!

My daughter did the first half of Jacobs' Geometry with the 3rd edition in an outside the home class with a teacher who did not impress me. She finished the second half of Geometry with Jacobs' 2nd edition under the tutelage of my husband. Having both books on hand, she chose the 2nd edition as it looked more appealing to her.

My husband, who teaches homeschooling students math and science and tutors both homeschooled and other students, has taught using both books. In general, he prefers Jacobs' 2nd edition for his more advanced math students; he tends to use the 3rd edition when his classes have students of differing abilities.

Regards,

Kareni