Menu

What would Saxon Phonics K-2 replace from WTM?

*Michelle*

Our oldest will begin kindergarten in August. This year, he's finishing up HOP Kindergarten and the ETC primers. He can read beginner books like the first set of BOB books pretty easily.

My plan for kindergarten is to work through OPGTR and HOP First Grade with plenty of easy reader books on the side, plus ZB handwriting K and 1. But, my eyes keep wandering to Saxon Phonics K-2. We're using Saxon Math already and he loves it, plus it's simple for me to implement. When he starts kindergarten, we'll have four under 5, including a newborn. Simplicity is very desirable!

However, I'm not sure what all Saxon would replace during the grammar years. I was thinking we would proceed with the resources recommended in WTM, but if he enjoys Saxon as much as I think he would, I'll be wary of changing.

Can anyone give some guidance? Thanks in advance!

From the website, it looks like it could replace your phonics (OPGTR), handwriting, and spelling (Spelling Workout or whatever you would choose). We love Saxon math here, too. Just for the record, though, I find that the WTM recs are VERY simple to implement. OPGTR and SWO are completely open and go, no prep needed, and much less expensive than Saxon Phonics. With Saxon, you need to keep purchasing the books each year, whereas OPGTR really takes you all the way to a 4th grade reading level.

Of course that is just my .02! I'm sure Saxon Phonics is really well done.

OPGTR and SWO are completely open and go, no prep needed, and much less expensive than Saxon Phonics. With Saxon, you need to keep purchasing the books each year, whereas OPGTR really takes you all the way to a 4th grade reading level.

Good point on the cost. I really would like to stay as close to the WTM recommendations as I can. I looked up samples of both online and they look pretty similar, so I think we'll stick with our original plan.

Do you recommend getting the accompanying flash cards and alphabet board?

Do you recommend getting the accompanying flash cards and alphabet board?

I did get the flash cards and we have used them a lot. You do have to cut them all out yourself (they weren't perforated), so I'm not sure whether it really saves you time vs. just writing the words on index cards. I already had magnetic letters, but honestly we haven't used those much.