Menu

? About Rudginsky spelling TMs/workbooks

stripe

I bought a used copy of Rudginsky's How to Teach Spelling.

Is there any great value to having the workbooks? If so, is there any value to buying the lower level workbook (like, lots more work on these things) or does each level contain ALL the same info as the lower ones plus new stuff? And finally, if I have the How to Teach book, do I need the teaching manuals for the workbooks? I can't tell based on Rainbow Resource's few sample pages -- the only ones I found online.

Thank you.

Is there any great value to having the workbooks?

Not much. The workbooks are basically formatted pages to fill in the spelling words for each lesson (sort of like the SWR Primary Log).

does each level contain ALL the same info as the lower ones plus new stuff?

Yes.

if I have the How to Teach book, do I need the teaching manuals for the workbooks?

Are there teaching manuals for the workbooks? I believe the How To Teach Spelling book is the teaching manual for all three How To Spell workbooks.

Thanks a bunch, nansk! You're a marvel!

There are teacher's manuals, btw. Or maybe just answers? I am happy to know one measly thing about spelling programs that you don't! Ha ;)

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/details.cfm?series=1847m

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=8&category=1883

I found boscopup's pics here

http://kinderbauernhofacademy.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-to-spell-book-3-samples.html

And some posts about it in this thread

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3490923

Edited by stripe

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update for anyone else with these questions.

I bought years 1 and 3. Year 3 is not Year 1 + additional material. It is coverage of some of the same topics, but in brief and in a manner more appropriate for older students. For example, reviewing the "short sounds" is less than a page on the sound sheet for year 3, but 11 pages in year 1. Year 1 also includes writing the alphabet and much larger lines for writing.

I also bought the teaching key for year 3. It is not a manual. It is the answer key. In my case, it was an unnecessary purchase. I know that fog + y ending = foggy.

• Like 1

Just to update for anyone else with these questions.

I bought years 1 and 3. Year 3 is not Year 1 + additional material. It is coverage of some of the same topics, but in brief and in a manner more appropriate for older students. For example, reviewing the "short sounds" is less than a page on the sound sheet for year 3, but 11 pages in year 1. Year 1 also includes writing the alphabet and much larger lines for writing.

I also bought the teaching key for year 3. It is not a manual. It is the answer key. In my case, it was an unnecessary purchase. I know that fog + y ending = foggy.

This was helpful to me. Thanks!

I just pulled out HTTS tonight. I have the TM and level 4. I barely remember buying this.

After wallowing for a year in Spalding and CGE respellings this looks awfully simple and efficient.

I didn't even notice this thread, until I came looking for threads on HTTS. I'm going to be spending tonight reading the manual and this forum.

There are no prepared flash cards, right?

It looks like this is based off of the American Heritage pronunciation system? I guess that is why I have an AH dictionary here too :-0

I can't afford any easier workbooks until next month, but I'm wondering if I'd need them, after being so used to Spalding.

Do you have the manual for the whole program? http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Spelling-Laura-Toby-Rudginsky/dp/0838818471

You could surely work it that way. I just didn't want to figure out the order of introduction and wanted a crutch.

I think I saw on Rainbow Resource that there are cards but they are pricey, so I didn't buy them. I have levels 1 and 3, plus the manual. Okay, here it is:

"The program refers to the use of Phonics Drill Cards in presenting these phonograms. These are rather expensive, and you can construct your own using information in How To Teach Spelling. We have included them, however, below."

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Phonics+Drillcards/002902/4bfe1320ef56edcbb17fa348?subject=8&category=1883

Edited by stripe

I was up late last night reading the manual and comparing it to CGE and the Webster-Merriam.

HTTS is much closer to the American Heritage dictionary, but the sound divisions are the same as the Merriam-Webster, and just use different symbols. So far I have used the Merriam-Webster Concise Large Print Dictionary with a couple students and they REALLY like that dictionary. And the content is almost identical to the ultra portable pocket version. Access to pronunciation helps is critical to my students, because of their severe deprivation in HEARING advanced vocabulary.

I'm going to take the time to alter my manual to the MW symbols. That is just grunt work. Simple substitutions don't require the advanced thinking skills that are usually required when tweaking a curriculum.

According the manual, the official name of the cards is "Gillingham Phonics Drill Cards" and there are frequent references to them, including annotations and substitutions. If I'm doing so much tweaking of symbols, I probably might as well make my own.

This curricula basically does the opposite of Splading and is closer to what I see so frequently used in Australia and the United Kingdom and in the Amish community. I think the reversed way of presenting the phoneme-phonogram connections is the preferred manner for FL students.

I'm going to play around with this for a bit, in combination with the Spalding handwriting and the Ayer's list as a reference, and with CGE.

I'm finding it difficult to use the Ayer's list with students that are not daily working with it, and taking long breaks and then wanting to have a marathon session. HTTS looks easier to break off a chunk of content to tackle that isn't reliant on full recall of previous lessons.

I don't think I would be able to fully use HTTS if I hadn't have already played around with the Spalding types, and there is no Gilliam indexed reference for looking up misspelled words is there? All we have is Spalding lists for that type of activity?

Now more than ever, I want to look into the hand signs I have seen some Spalding users adopting. The speculation was that they had been borrowed from the oversees phonics programs.

I'm wondering which connection Marva Collins used. I'm suspecting it was phoneme-phonogram, and not phonogram-phoneme, with the work I saw on the blackboard in the 60 minutes program.

At the back of Marva Collins' Way, she recommends two programs by Monica Foltzer, "Professor Phonics Gives Sound Advice" and " A Sound Track to Rading" published by the Ursula Academy in Cincinnati, 1976 editions.

She also recommends contacting The Reading Reform Foundation in Tacoma, Washington.

At the back of Marva Collins' Way, she recommends two programs by Monica Foltzer, "Professor Phonics Gives Sound Advice" and " A Sound Track to Rading" published by the Ursula Academy in Cincinnati, 1976 editions.

She also recommends contacting The Reading Reform Foundation in Tacoma, Washington.

I remember a short list, and nothing else. I remember thinking it was funny, because there was a listing in the table of contents for just a couple sentences.

Reading Reform Foundation

All Reading Reform Foundation courses are based on the Orton-Gillingham approach to teaching reading, writing, spelling and comprehension.

This is what I suspected.

HTTS only mentions Gillingham. I wonder if Orton-Gillingham means anything different.

Wow, you cannot even get these books for $250.00 at Amazon. They just don't seem to exist at all.

From a reviewer on Amazon: "THis is so good they had to take it off the market. Never met a kid who couldn't read from the first day."

I did find A Sound Track to Reading on Amazon. It looks cheap but is out of stock. Apparently she was a sister (nun) at St Ursula Academy and died in 2001. I don't understand the website that looks like the professor on her cover but doesn't sell her stuff.

Description:

http://www.readingstore.com/BeginningPrograms.html (the new website for the former Reading Reform Foundation)

11. Professor Phonics Gives Sound Advice — Sister Monica Foltzer: Student book, Teacher book, Key word cards & Spelling list. This is a popular program and is used by Marva Collins at her Westside Preparatory School in Chicago. The books are paperback; the student reader (112 pages), the instruction manual (32 pages), the spelling and word list (16 pages), and 38 key word cards are included. The kit contains all that is needed to teach reading either at home or in a classroom.

12. Student book—paperback, 112 pages.

13. Professor Phonics Video Training Tape.

14. A Sound Track To Reading — Sister Monica Foltzer: For remedial or a continuation after Professor Phonics for work with multisyllabic words. Complete instructions are given for using the book either in a tutoring or classroom setting. Manual, paperback, 80 pages (combined book for instructor) which parents can easily use with their child. $15.00

15. Student Book — paperback, 52 pages.

And this review, which mentions Marva Collins and said the set sold for $5 way back when:

http://homeschoolblogger.com/homeschoolbookreview/784919/

I have Pathway and CGE stuff from grade 2 and up, but nothing below that. I wonder how close the Amish stuff is to these OOP resources. The Amish are quietly having phenomenally high literacy rates among their low income ESL students.

I think they just don't get the attention--partly because they don't want it--that a low income ESL group in an inner city would get.

Also the pathway stuff is so cheap, that people don't have to wait and save up for it, producing a high, when the package arrives. It's not glitzy, easy to get, and no big deal. It's not going to produce the chitter chatter of a $200.00 program. Are the early Pathway and CGE basically Orton-Gillingham?

I have the HTTS workbook 4 as well as the manual, but I think the Pathways and CGE grade 1 and below might be better than the earlier HTTS workbooks and I think I can tweak them together.

Spalding insists that pictures are a big no no, but it doesn't look like Gillingham shares the same opinion?

I haven't seen anything in OG that deals with handwriting like Spalding does though. Has anyone else?

Edited by Hunter

I have the Pathway readers for the first few levels but just used them as practice. I like Reading Reflex, and bought but never used Writing Road to Reading, esp because my son learned to read way before writing. I haven't seen the other Amish / Mennonite materials. It looked like at least some use of sight words, not all phonetic for sure.

I am also not sure family low income has the same effect on every community.

I have the Pathway readers for the first few levels but just used them as practice. I like Reading Reflex, and bought but never used Writing Road to Reading, esp because my son learned to read way before writing. I haven't seen the other Amish / Mennonite materials. It looked like at least some use of sight words, not all phonetic for sure.

I am also not sure family low income has the same effect on every community.

I agree with that. It doesn't. But still, they certainly have their challenges, and continue to maintain excellent basic literacy skills despite those significant challenges.

I do think that being able to read is made a priority as being able to read the Bible is considered to be critical, and all of the children's parents can read English, and that is significantly different than in the average ESL community, isn't it? Now that I think of it, it's must be incredibly rare for a community to maintain a situation where generation after generation of children show up in school speaking very little English, but have parents who were schooled in English and are literate in it.

Hmm...I have some thinking to do about that. Thank you for the review of the lower grades. I really appreciate that. I'll check our Reading Reflex and the lower levels of HTTS.

I still love Spalding's handwriting, and alphabetically indexed spelling dictionary, but I need something more topically organized, right now. Teaching oppurtunities are just so inconsistent right now. And I need at least some of the materials to be useful for "homework".

I think the idea of finishing in 8 years cuts out a lot of baloney. I was flabbergasted when I watched a piece on tv about some city -- Philadelphia?? -- with a high illiteracy rate. The "explanation" was a very low high school graduation rate. Did anyone stop to think high school wasn't the time for learning to read? I think someone who leaves school in 6 th grade shouldn't be illiterate. Clearly many problems.

I just got in the last of the CGE workbooks. I had purchased damaged copies of the TMs for grades 5-8, but it was dizzying trying to read reduced size, with 2 grades side by side, and instructions included.

I am just so impressed with this English curriculum for my students. No one year, looked at alone, out of context of the set, looks all that amazing, but as a set with the most important topics broken down into 3 lessons a week, is just what I would do. When necessary, I will include material from earlier and later grades.

Some of the grammar might be skipped by a child who hears lots of good English being spoken, but for ESL and city kids, these grammar lessons are not unnecessary. And on the other end of the spectrum, there is serious sentence diagramming that some families might skip as being too hard or unnecessary.

I wouldn't recommend this first for many families, in different situations with different goals. But for a family looking for a solid multiyear workbook set, to take students from nonstandard English, to being able to write letters, essays and basic reports, and includes a serious introduction to poetry, then this is as good as it gets. The Plain faiths put a lot more time into the study of music and poetry, than outsiders would ever guess.

I like to play around with certain subjects and curricula, for when I'm in the mood to play around, but lately I'm looking for some efficient nicely formatted resources that take 8 or fewer years to go from broken English to junior college.

I had just finished up doing most of grade 4. I'm going to start grade 5 tonight. The series recommends that the teacher complete all of the series herself and I agree with the recommendation. I teach the lower levels better, for having completed them and the higher levels myself.

I'm hoping that maybe something in the Orton-Gillingham approach might cover all of primary, as efficiently as CGE covers the comp and grammar, for my typical students. I was looking back at Spalding today, and I think I like Spalding to get them READING and handwriting with the phonogram-phonene method and then I want to switch over at about grade 2 level to CGE respellings and primarily the OG phoneme-phonogram approach.

I like Spalding to get them READING and handwriting with the phonogram-phonene method and then I want to switch over at about grade 2 level to CGE respellings and primarily the OG phoneme-phonogram approach.

I really like the Spalding handwriting. I think I'm going to use that and LOE to get my kiddos going. But I also have the pathway readers and CGE to start this year with my oldest.

What do you mean by "primarily the OG phoneme-phonogram approach"? Is this what you are seeing in HTTS? is this different than Spalding?

HTTS will ask the student to say/write the phonograms that have the long A sound. Spalding will show the child a picture of A and ask what sounds it makes. They are opposite. Riggs is the only program I have seen that provides charts for both approaches.

Spalding is the best way to approach READING a word. HTTS is the best approach to SPELL a word. I think. But what do I know?

And Spalding's spelling list is pretty random. HTTS, like Pathway/CGE is topical. Spalding's spelling notebooks are what is supposed to bring the program together, and allow a topic to be covered, but most of us are somewhat intimidated by the creation of the notebooks, and never get to that part.

And with a student that shows up so sporadically, I never get enough review completed to feel prepared to tackle a notebook page, that is supposed to be a semi-permanent reference for an entire year, so needs to be done "right".

I think I need to switch over to HTTS or something else, when we get to the point of needing the notebook.

HTTS will ask the student to say/write the phonograms that have the long A sound. Spalding will show the child a picture of A and ask what sounds it makes. They are opposite. Riggs is the only program I have seen that provides charts for both approaches.

Spalding is the best way to approach READING a word. HTTS is the best approach to SPELL a word. I think. But what do I know?

And Spalding's spelling list is pretty random. HTTS, like Pathway/CGE is topical. Spalding's spelling notebooks are what is supposed to bring the program together, and allow a topic to be covered, but most of us are somewhat intimidated by the creation of the notebooks, and never get to that part.

And with a student that shows up so sporadically, I never get enough review completed to feel prepared to tackle a notebook page, that is supposed to be a semi-permanent reference for an entire year, so needs to be done "right".

I think I need to switch over to HTTS or something else, when we get to the point of needing the notebook.

I think this makes sense.

I ordered a used copy of HTTS cheaply so I can compare it to everything else I have sitting here.

I wish I would have bought the pathway workbooks too to see what they offer. I just don't want to overdo the workbook thing with young children.

One thing I have learned is that just because I buy it, doesn't mean I need to use it with the STUDENT. Sometimes skimming a workbook is the fastest way to make us a better teacher. Sometimes we can only give the student a small portion of a curriculum. Sometimes we keep things on the shelf for backup.

Especially with Pathway, we can afford to use just a small portion of a workbook. The reader workbooks have 3 parts. The first part is vocabulary. That can be gone over orally, before reading the story. The second part is reinforcement of the CGE English and has NOTHING to do with the story. The 3rd part is comprehension questions which again can be done orally or skipped. I really like how clearly divided the different activities are.

I think I'm going to gradually acquire all the Pathways Readers and generally just use them for reading aloud and vocabulary study. But when a student needs some homework because they are going to be gone for awhile, they can take a workbook with them and have something to do.

I'm hoping to be able to use The Golden Children's Bible for reading aloud most of the time, right now, but want to have some Pathway as a backup. I'm also looking at the Treadwell Readers for reading aloud, but think I have decided to skip them for right now. Cultural literacy falls to the wayside, when I start feeling overwhelmed. I expect Treadwell to keep calling to me though, over the years, and I expect to purchase them at some point.

When I'm well enough I want to use the Spalding McCall-Crabbs for reading comprehension. But again Pathway makes a nice backup until my brain gets a bit more organized. With ESL students, I have no choice but to use McCall-Crabb and teach compare/contrast writing or I'm just not up to helping them much at all. But with the LD students though, there is alot of grunt work I can accomplish even when scrambled, if I carefully choose materials that assist us in organization, and do not require higher order thinking skills. They get really upset with me when I say I'm too scrambled to teach, and think of it as being stingy with what I do still have left.

Life happens. Plans get thrown to the wayside. It helps to have backup plans in place, if the materials fall into our laps, inexpensively enough.

When money is too tight though, just fall back to some spelling/handwriting practice, some math, and the library card; instead of purchasing a backup plan.

You know you can download the Treadwell readers, right? Just in case you need some of them or can find a way to make that work.

Yes, I have downloaded the whole set. If I'm going to seriously adopt the set, I need hardcopies, and I would prefer them in color. It's too much for an LD student to read aloud off of a computer screen. I would want to prepare some lesson plans of at least vocabulary. I'm just not prepared to do what it will take to make these better than than Pathway. They have the POTENTIAL to be better, but in the end are not.

When I get some other priorities taken care of first, I look forward to doing something with these readers. I'm very impressed with them. Tackling Treadwell is likely to be a grandmother project, not a tutoring project.

In the meantime I may print out a single story here and there.

I bought the primer and year 1 published by Yesterday's Classics;they are black and white only.

Will any of the direct printers print them in color? I would need to use them to print grades 4-6. I was thinking of having them all done at once by the same printer.

I thought Espresso machines print only in black and white. Obviously you could have it printed and bound from a copy shop on your own, but it wouldn't be so bookish. Or have a kid color it in? ;) I did that with some of the pages I initially printed out.

I thought Espresso machines print only in black and white. Obviously you could have it printed and bound from a copy shop on your own, but it wouldn't be so bookish. Or have a kid color it in? ;) I did that with some of the pages I initially printed out.

I'm definitely waiting on the Treadwells for now. I have the feeling that someone is going to adopt these soon and do something with them. And if they don't...well...maybe I will be the one to do something with them :-) But that kind of a project is NOT in my near future!

As for HTTS, I've been busy reading. UGH! Okay...

The sample lesson plan at the beginning of the book shows a phoneme-phonogram lesson, but right after that SAMPLE lesson, phonograph-phoneme lessons are covered first. I'm not quite sure when the curriculum pretty much switches gears to more of a phoneme-phonograph approach.

There is a sight word list on page 33 of the main manual. You will see words listed as sight words, which are easily explained in Spalding. Riggs uses 4 sounds for A and O. Spalding and HTTS both only use 3 sounds, but a different set of 3, that are not compatible. HTTS doesn't teach "ah" and instead teaches "aw", which makes "was" a sight word. HTTS teaches "uh" instead of "oo", making "do" and "to" sight words.

So...it looks like using HTTS will significantly increase the number of sight words a child will need to learn at the beginning, but I'm not sure if in the long run, it makes more or less sight words, or prevents severe mispronunciations of words being artificially squeezed.

Riggs phonograms are based off of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary and The ABCs and All Their Tricks, and does appear to be the most "accurate" and complete--if there is such a thing--but the program is just too expensive and awkward to purchase and...just not practical, at least for my students.

As I'm looking at HTTS, it can be used so much more independently, than Spalding. And the topical presentation is easier to use when teaching sporadically. If I were home every morning with my own non-reading child, who I could wrestle into a chair and demand he work consistently, I think I would be sticking with Spalding for right now. I think, even with the issues I discussed above, I'm going to try switching over to HTTS though. Being able to photocopy a page of homework is irresistible to me right now.

Why can't this all be easier?? If we can wipe out smallpox, why can't we design a phonics curriculum that includes all of the best?

And why can't someone sell a COMPLETE set of COLOR Treadwells with workbooks???? UGH!

I wonder if the Pathway sight words are the same as the HTTS sight words and for the same reason.

I wonder if "think to spell" is something avoided in OG and/or ESL teaching.

I wish I knew more about what is underlying Pathway and CGE phonics. The manuscript "f" and "t" are the same ones used in Riggs and are very distinctive with their high crosses. Riggs and Pathway are the only places I have ever seen them, and especially the top of the "f" being so distinctly a clock letter.

You're way more advanced in reading curricula than I am.

Why can't this all be easier?? If we can wipe out smallpox, why can't we design a phonics curriculum that includes all of the best?

Indeed!

And why can't someone sell a COMPLETE set of COLOR Treadwells with workbooks???? UGH!

I think this is one of those things some homeschooling company/parent might do, sort of like the redone Serl PLL/ILL books/workbooks. Then again, I bought the Serl PLL PDF workbook at the Living Books Curriculum sale a while back (and they normally don't sell the PDF, just the printed book), thinking it would save me so much time, but alas, it doesn't really, because the space given for writing is too small -- even for me, and certainly for my 8 year old. Bleh. So I am back to typing things up on Startwrite.

I was looking at the Treadwells this morning, and book 3 seems like mostly poetry. Interesting. I was wondering if I should buy the print volumes, but I think I'll just use the online ones for levels 2 and later for now.

I wish I knew more about what is underlying Pathway and CGE phonics. The manuscript "f" and "t" are the same ones used in Riggs and are very distinctive with their high crosses. Riggs and Pathway are the only places I have ever seen them, and especially the top of the "f" being so distinctly a clock letter.

Do you think it's influenced by German? I found a book on one of the websites on how to read Gothic German script.

Do you think it's influenced by German? I found a book on one of the websites on how to read Gothic German script.

I know very little about German :-) The Mennonites were quicker to give up their German and I think Russian, when moving to North America, and my personal interactions with Plain people have been predominantly with the Mennonites. Some of our Mennonite hymn books did have German Hymns in them, but we didn't try to sing those ones :-)

My boys kept me busy switching from langauge to language but never tormented me with German.

Riggs uses the same handwriting font. The manuscript handwriting in Riggs is even more precise than Spalding. You should see their notebooks :w00t: The preciseness is incredible, but you need to special order the special composition books and ordering from them is a pain. You have to call and leave a message. The author is dead and the curriculum has been semi-abandoned. I just don't want to adopt a sinking ship, even if it might be the "best".

I'm going to guess the handwriting font was developed by someone in the OG world, that first advocated primary paper. Spalding doesn't use a dotted midline so doesn't have any need for a higher cross. All the direct Spalding spin offs cross on the dotted line, if they use primary paper, even though it's hard to see.

I've been wondering about this font for awhile. I'll see if I can find a sample online.

You can see the "f" flashcard a few flashcards into the video. I've gotten attached to that "f" for some reason :-0 As if it is...some snotty symbol of I don't know what. Very strange connection I have with that "f" :-0

http://www.asd20.org/education/page/download.php?fileinfo=cmlnZ3MxXzI2Lm1vdjo6Oi93d3cvc2Nob29scy9zYy9yZW1vdGUvaW1hZ2VzL2RvY21nci9BTExmaWxlMTYyMjcubW92

I can't get your link to work. I get a play-video triangle that's crossed out.

Mine takes about 20 seconds to load and says"loading". I'm not sure of the format. I know I can't load some online videos because I don't have the right software installed.

I'll try harder to find an image.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Hunter, I just found out that the publisher of the redone (?) Professor Phonics books, Susan M Greve, also wrote Phonics for Dummies. Anyhow, she was a student of Foltzer and based Phonics for Dummies on Foltzer's methods. I don't know that the current ProfessorPhonics website has anything to do with her, but from all appearances, I am suspicious that it does not.

Edited by stripe

Hey, Hunter, I just found out that the publisher of the redone (?) Professor Phonics books, Susan M Greve, also wrote Phonics for Dummies. Anyhow, she was a student of Foltzer and based Phonics for Dummies on Foltzer's methods. I don't know that the current ProfessorPhonics website has anything to do with her, but from all appearances, I am suspicious that it does not.

It looks interesting. My library doesn't have it, but I bet interlibrary loan does. I'll have to check. Thanks for the tip.

You can look inside on Google books at least.

My library has multiple copies of it and one is even out on ILL, but I have requested it to see what it's about. I must confess to being very happy with Reading Reflex, though.

From a quick look there seemed to be suggestions about making your own flash cards and charts. That was what caught my eye the most.

I am slowly accumulating every spelling program out there :tongue_smilie:, and I do have the HTTS manual. After reading some of the posts, I decided to get the student How To Spell books too. Just wanted to let any members of PaperbackSwap know that some of the How To Spell books are posted there. I just ordered books 2 & 3 with some of my credits.

• 1 year later...

I have been looking for something to teach phonograms and spelling rules workbook style versus 100% teacher led.  This thread has given me a lot of food for thought.  For anyone reading this thread in the future who is interested in checking out Monica Foltzer's work, I found this free pdf of her book A Sound Track to Reading on Don Potter's website.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/a-sound-track-to-reading.pdf

If anyone else has ideas for workbooks similar to the How to Spell workbooks, I'd love to hear them.  I am looking for something like the way Logic of English teaches the phonograms and rules but easier to implement for parents who are not homeschoolers or afterschoolers.  Something with a bit of direct teaching but then independent work in a workbook format.

I have been looking for something to teach phonograms and spelling rules workbook style versus 100% teacher led.  ... I am looking for something like the way Logic of English teaches the phonograms and rules but easier to implement for parents who are not homeschoolers or afterschoolers.  Something with a bit of direct teaching but then independent work in a workbook format.

Recipe For Reading is another O-G programme with several levels of workbooks.

ETA: I have not used Recipe for Reading. I have used The Logic of English and it is the easiest reading/spelling programme I have ever seen.