Menu

GAPS/SCD Mamas, Come on In!! Support Thread

Someone on here mentioned starting a support thread. So thought i would try. seems like there are a handful of us on here.

we are not "on" the diet but have done it successfully before and I am ready to try for it again. NOT being on it is causing more problems for us.

I have to say the reason we have apprehension about starting again is the outside family's reactions.

MIL and FIL are kind of offended, MIL even cried after we left @ Thanksgiving 2 yrs ago because i had brought some different foods.My side of the family has moved here and they will be here from FL by the time the baby is born, to stay for the summer. (they have a FL home, too)

They think it is "great" that now I have "relaxed" about the kids' "diets" and not worrying so much about that anymore. Letting the kids just be kids, etc.

However, I can't homeschool like this anymore. I don't feel that just staying "on top" of every single thing they need to or do is helping them at all. LIke I say, DS won't even get out of bed some days.

i am unsure how to justify it to family because my kids are NOT autistic. It would be easier if they could see an obvious change. but even my kids "good" behavior they attribute to my child rearing, etc. which is pretty strict. :)

anyway, any thoughts would be great!

Edited by honeymommy4

First off, hugs. I am not in yur situation, but I can relate to the frustration that comes through in your post.

I am thinking of doing GAPS, or at least removing dairy from the diet for a while (we are already gluten free). This would be for me and my middle DD and possibly all the kids as well.

thanks! I'm hoping to get more insight from other moms as to how it changed your homeschool day. I have had positive results in the past but as my kids get older I get concerned that DS (now 8) does not seem to be the least bit focused to do ANYTHING at all with his free time.

We don't do a whole lot of school time, esp. right now, but it seems that he just sort of sits around and doesn't have a plan to do much of anything. This worries me. i start to think if he was in school maybe he would be coming home with ideas from other kids, etc. on what to do with his spare time. And there woudl definitely be less spare time then!

he is a good reader so i try to encourage any time he is found reading to just let him be. and he reads a LOT!

thanks so much for any thoughts or positive elements! :)

If it makes you feel any better, even when a child has a diagnosed food allergy that is life-threatening there are family members who will push back. We were told not to come up one holiday because we requested that certain (very dangerous) items not be served as finger foods. I'm sure the family member didn't see it that way, but she basically said if it was us or the food, she chose the food because it was "tradition." :glare:

I can imagine that not having a "doctor's note" makes it even more difficult.

We started a modified SCD diet a couple of months ago, but we recently fell off the wagon because I had a health crisis after having a huge Celiac/gluten reaction at a restaurant that triggered several health issues all at once.. (gallbladder, thyroid, and heart issues).. I ended up bedridden for two weeks over that! The diet had to be put on the back burner until I was better.. We always eat 100% gluten free though.. We've been gluten, casein, and soy free for the past 2+ years.

I was definitely spending a lot more time in the kitchen with the SCD diet though.. But my kids improved with their symptoms immensely! It was fantastic! Then the symptoms returned when I got sick and started with the crap food again..:glare:

We will be re-starting in the next week or so.. Been trying to find my footing this week to get back into the saddle.. It's a tough diet, but so worth it. We actually require a low oxalate diet so we can't do almond flour.. We use coconut flour instead. It's really good and bakes so nicely! Here are some good recipes http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com

Edited by Misty

We tried it for awhile and I found it very challenging. We are not doing it currently but I imagine it would be even more difficult with family that isn't supportive living nearby. When we did it I felt like I was in the kitchen all the time. I may try it again this summer when I have more time.

I just got the book Eat Like a Dinosaur which has mostly SCD recipes in it. It has a story for kids at the front talking about why they eat differently. The book is actually Paleo but most everything I've seen in it looks SCD legal (I think it might have maple syrup in some recipes- I think you could sub honey for SCD) It might be a good book to get the kids excited about SCD foods.

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Like-Dinosaur-Guidebook-Gluten-free/dp/1936608871/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334162025&sr=8-1

That sounds like a great book!

For us I haven't completely decided if it is grains, gluten or what. but definitely grains. Something with the way grains react in our blood sugar. Any starches seem to cause problems. but at the same time we have to eat a small amount of grains or my boys are CONSTANTLY hungry.

i hear over time, this wanes, and you don't need to eat as often in the beginning. For now DH and I are undecided. HE thinks that it is just the amounts of sugars/starches and we don't need to go completely off wheat, grains, etc. but we do need to make sure their meals include good fats. I am not so sure that's all of it.

Plus we still have certain things in the house, because DH eats them and that is hard. i tell him trying the diet is hard enough alone!

it's so hard to say what it is because i am in the 3rd trimester so of course I am tired all the time, but SOME days I have energy and I do think it is from eating more GAPS style meals on those days.

I am undecided at this point. We cut out as much as we can but when it comes to things like b-day parties, and family gatherings it is much harder to restrict my kiddos, even though at one time they were fine with it! i think it was harder on me! :)

May I join in? I've been toying with the idea of going GF b/c my odd has eczema and a few other things going on. Right now her skin is looking great by taking out lanolin, making my own detergent, and transitioning to "clean" shampoo/conditioner/body wash. However, I still wonder about GF kwim. Until she was 4 she was allergic to cow's milk and all by-products, soy and all bp's, eggs, and peanuts. She's still allergic to peanuts as far as I know. I'm not willing to keep challenging that.

Now we're in the process of getting a dx for ydd. We all agree that she probably has ADHD-PI. We know she's got problems with Red Dye 40. I haven't taken the time to figure out other dyes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're triggers too. I don't think she has any other food issues.

About a month ago I ran across the GAPS diet/book and was really intrigued. I also know quite a few people doing the Paleo diet. Then last night I watched "The World According to Monsanto" http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-world-according-to-monsanto/ and it freaked me out! I now know I need to get super serious about our food/diet.

We've been trying to eat clean - no hormones, organic when we can afford it, etc. However, I'm now going to focus on no GMO's. IDK if I'm ready to do any one diet strictly b/c it's in my nature to immediately feel deprived and cheat.

I know I'm rambling...I do that a lot. Dh is on board w/whatever I decide. I just can't tell him I'm doing it for weight loss or he'll sabotage me. If I tell him it's for the kids or for political reasons, he's good.

Where should I start? I'm thinking I need to go local more than organic. I definitely need to get the GMO's out of our diet.

We are back on it. things get so bad that I kind of just throw us back into it with whatever we have in the house. then we go grocery shopping the next day. :)

already after a day of GAPS combined with a little rice/ice cream I am sleeping 100% better at the end of my pregnancy which is sometimes unheard of. I am really excited to get my energy back before labor starts.

I'll try to post our meal list & behavior results for the week! That should help!

May I join in? I've been toying with the idea of going GF b/c my odd has eczema and a few other things going on. Right now her skin is looking great by taking out lanolin, making my own detergent, and transitioning to "clean" shampoo/conditioner/body wash. However, I still wonder about GF kwim. Until she was 4 she was allergic to cow's milk and all by-products, soy and all bp's, eggs, and peanuts. She's still allergic to peanuts as far as I know. I'm not willing to keep challenging that.

Now we're in the process of getting a dx for ydd. We all agree that she probably has ADHD-PI. We know she's got problems with Red Dye 40. I haven't taken the time to figure out other dyes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're triggers too. I don't think she has any other food issues.

About a month ago I ran across the GAPS diet/book and was really intrigued. I also know quite a few people doing the Paleo diet. Then last night I watched "The World According to Monsanto" http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-world-according-to-monsanto/ and it freaked me out! I now know I need to get super serious about our food/diet.

We've been trying to eat clean - no hormones, organic when we can afford it, etc. However, I'm now going to focus on no GMO's. IDK if I'm ready to do any one diet strictly b/c it's in my nature to immediately feel deprived and cheat.

I know I'm rambling...I do that a lot. Dh is on board w/whatever I decide. I just can't tell him I'm doing it for weight loss or he'll sabotage me. If I tell him it's for the kids or for political reasons, he's good.

Where should I start? I'm thinking I need to go local more than organic. I definitely need to get the GMO's out of our diet.

Honestly, I would start with removing gluten first and foremost.. It sounds like it could be a problem for your girls.

As for GMO's.. It's really not that hard to kick them to the curb.. We eat soy free completely so that eliminates GMO soy in our house.. Corn is a little harder.. We eat almost completely corn free and when we do eat corn, it is always organic non-GMO from the health food store. Canola we don't buy at all.. I fry something about once a week and I use coconut oil for that.. I use olive oil for all my non-frying oil needs.

If you want to get your blood boiling over Monsanto some more, watch The Future of Food (on Netflix or Hulu Plus).. King Corn is another good one as well as Food, Inc. I despise Monsanto!!

Here's another eye-opening video..

Your dd has a lot of allergies! GAPS diet would definitely help her with that. But while you're gearing up for GAPS, I would try to get the gluten out. Oh, and BTW.. We don't really outgrow allergies.. I hear parents all the time saying that their child was allergic to such and such when they were babies, but are fine with it now.. those same kids have ADHD, etc.. We don't really outgrow the allergy, our bodies just start responding in different ways as we get older.

Edited by Misty

Our issues seem to be more mental ( think bipolar, etc.) and we know there are blood sugar issues in the family so what helps is keeping the starches low, but having occasional more natural starches like beans and regular corn (not a lot of corn-products that are processed.)

you just have to see what works. this is after us doing the diet on & off for 2 years really. And taking about 9 months off during my pregnancy, now going back on where I would like to be once baby is here. It's not an easy transition. the things I find we need stocked are bone broths and plenty of eggs and bananas. We don't do the intro diet right away. i wouldnt recommend mom AND kids doing the intro anyway together - it is hard. We have always allowed GF stuff if there are b-day parties, etc. even while on GAPS, although I try to make as much as I can grain-free for the events.

Sugar is another hurdle but i am finding the besst time for the kids to have this (if at all) is afternoon - before playing hard. So a little natural chocolate or something, even peanut M&M's and they do OK.

for my kids the problem with the normal foods is that they will have outbursts (DS's are anxiety related - sometimes just crying/sobbing & low energy) from "normal" foods. We'll go to a GAPS based diet and as soon as we add some wheat in - he has a horrible day the next day. So that's how I can tell. rice is tricky too. that is horrible for our blood sugar. But peanuts, beans we seem to be OK - just can't overdo it.

So we aren't strict GAPS but stick to the principles as much as possible!

If we have to eat out we choose Wendy's and go for the burgers with "no bun". Fries are NOT gluten free from what I know. it's tricky. Chipotle is also a good GF choice! they just use a lot of soybean oil so watch out!

So far from just a few days, my toddlers diaper output is better - they aren't impossible to clean like usual (we use cloth) and My DS (5) who tends to just wake up angry/upset most days seems in a better mood already. He does not have the mental issues but just overall well being is better on Gluten free.

Honestly, I would start with removing gluten first and foremost.. It sounds like it could be a problem for your girls.

As for GMO's.. It's really not that hard to kick them to the curb.. We eat soy free completely so that eliminates GMO soy in our house.. Corn is a little harder.. We eat almost completely corn free and when we do eat corn, it is always organic non-GMO from the health food store. Canola we don't buy at all.. I fry something about once a week and I use coconut oil for that.. I use olive oil for all my non-frying oil needs.

If you want to get your blood boiling over Monsanto some more, watch The Future of Food (on Netflix or Hulu Plus).. King Corn is another good one as well as Food, Inc. I despise Monsanto!!

Here's another eye-opening video..

Your dd has a lot of allergies! GAPS diet would definitely help her with that. But while you're gearing up for GAPS, I would try to get the gluten out. Oh, and BTW.. We don't really outgrow allergies.. I hear parents all the time saying that their child was allergic to such and such when they were babies, but are fine with it now.. those same kids have ADHD, etc.. We don't really outgrow the allergy, our bodies just start responding in different ways as we get older.

Misty, thanks for your thoughtful response!!! ITA that GF is probably our first step. Also, I totally hear you on the "outgrowing allergies" thing. I've gotten so tired explaining it all that I fall back on others' vocabulary and forget that there actually people who know what I'm talking about haha!

I've known about a lot of this food stuff for a long time...I just wanted to ignore kwim. After watching the doc I knew I couldn't ignore anymore.

Just now joining in.

Would you all be interested in a GAPS/ SCD social group? It would be easier to have an ongoing discussion without losing the threads.

I am happy to start one, though I am a little busy for a few months and can only do limited monitoring/ participating until the summer.

What do you think? :)

Guest Kristyinaword

My 13 year old daughter has been on the gaps diet for 6 months now, and is doing very well. Her councilor first told me about it, and how it is suppose to help with anxiety. Little background here, she was diagnosed with GAD and OCD about 4 years ago, then aspergers last year. So when I was told about this diet, I thought " well it couldn't hurt" so off we went to find our GAPS friendly food. I was lucky in the fact that my Daughter wanted to try it out , she got excited about doing something good for herself. So about two weeks into the diet, I noticed her skin clearing up, and more clear talking and eye contact, it was kind of like watching someone walk out of a haze.... about a month into it her anxiety was about half of what it was before she started!!! her sleep improved, social skills got stronger, wow this was just amazing to see!!! I found she has a love of veggies and fruits, proteins and greens I never knew, also she lost fifteen pounds, putting her at her perfect and healthy BMI weight. So for the parents out there that are considering this diet, I would encourage you to try, as it has made a big difference in our lives, it is hard at first, she did have the " die off " pretty bad, and it does take time and research , but after six months on it, her anxiety is so much less. I have teachers ask me " what are you doing" I smile and tell them , some give me strange looks, but hey, I don't mind, my daughter is happy and healthy:)

Just now joining in.

Would you all be interested in a GAPS/ SCD social group? It would be easier to have an ongoing discussion without losing the threads.

I am happy to start one, though I am a little busy for a few months and can only do limited monitoring/ participating until the summer.

What do you think? :)

I like that idea!

Personally I've decided to start "small" and just go GF first. Do you mind if I still tag along?

I am part of a GAPs facebook page if there is interest, you can PM me your first and last name - I will friend you and then add to you the gaps page.

We have been on a "mostly" GAPs diet since June of last year. Until october we were VERY strict and then we began to cheat a little here and a little there.

We started it for MANY reasons. -- physical, learning, emotional and allergies.

. I am prayerfully considering going back to 100% gaps. Our current cheating is corn a few times a week and the occasional treat (sugar) and so far it hasn't really seemed to affect us at all *shrug*. However, I am finding sugar to be SUPER easy to keep gone now that I have so many "GAPs legal" treats under my belt. Like chocolate, nut butter fudge, carmels, "faux twix" etc ;)

I am getting "eat like a dinosaur" soon. A friend has it and while we have the majority of the recipes my kids REALLY want it to help cooking. ANd the different fun names help my kids want to eat it :lol:

As far as what it looks like with GAPS and homeschooling, hmm. . . well, it's hard. Not going to lie but my really smart friend told me "I'm choosing my hard" and I remember that when I want to give up. The emotions, physical issues, learning issues that have improved are way harder than being on GAPs.

On a positive note, I have found TONS of tricks and it's really cut down my kitchen time. If you can dedicate one hour of cooking a day it can be done. Honestly, the past few months, only cheating on corn occasionally, I have spent no more than an hour a day in the kitchen. We don't eat a lot of baked goods (we eat mostly meat, veggies and fruit). I would like to move back to a little more time in the kitchen so I can make dehydrated treats (honey sweetened granola/nuts, apple chips, veggie chips, fruit leathers, etc) but we can definitely live without them.

My time savers

*perpetual broth http://nourishedkitchen.com/perpetual-soup-the-easiest-bone-broth-youll-make/

*hiding broth in everything (my kids complain about drinking broth plain or in soup, so it's hidden in anything that I normally would add water too and EVERYTHING tomato paste based) - this is a time saver because I spend less time fighting with them about drinking broth *blush*

*bulk cooking (I cook HUGE meals or double things and freeze them - when I make chili, I make about 5 to 6 gallons at a time and freeze them in old coconut oil gallons. I make 4 or 5 3lb meatloafs at once and freeze all but one on parchment paper and then transfer to a 2 gallon bag so that they are ready for the oven on busy days)

*crockpot

*eating mostly meat/veg/fruit/eggs so we have lots of "grab and go foods" (hard boiled eggs, precooked hamburgers, leftover meatballs, plain fruit/veg

*routine (I check kefir and kombucha once a day at a specific time, while I am making dinner, I check ferments and broth, on the weekends I try to replenish any ferments that will run out in the week, and I *was* juicing every morning upon waking up but this one has fallen to the way side - now that I typed that I will try to get back with it tomorrow morning).

*getting kids cooking - my dd and I made super easy meatballs with spaghetti sauce and broccoli for dinner

• 2 months later...

Hi i am new to the forum so I don't understand all the lingo yet, but my daugher has had severe ezcema since she was 8 and she is allergic to milk, eggs treenuts, peanuts, coconut, and grass trees etc. you get the picture. we have taken all of that out of her diet(except the grass and trees which she doesn't prefer to eat:tongue_smilie:) and tough she looks better now because I bathe her in dead sea salt she still breaks out. What is the Gaps diet and do you think it could help my situation?

It is not that much more expensive - there are ways 2 do it cheaply... don't buy organic but buy good eggs - (we buy brown when we can't get organic). Shop around look 4 the best prices on things then always shop those places.

My problem was time. So I will follow the suggestions above. :) Cooking 1 hr per day makes sense. If you have a plan. i can do that during nap time.

Our other issue is that 2 of my children don't appear to need this diet! Or, at least one of them. he has the least "issues". i do notice he talks more grown up on the diet and is more agreeable. LOL

but other than that, he is fine with plain wheat bread, etc. so he kind of goes nuts on this diet meaning that he misses his bread & cereal. He will start asking, and reminiscing about foods and restaurants on this diet. So it is really hard to have them all on the diet - OR have them separate because now we have told him he can have "gluten" etc. I have tried just doing GAPS and not saying anything but he notices.

I have always thought GAPS was a better alternative than medication. now I am not so sure.

We are GF right now but it's not working anymore. I need to start cooking with broth again. perhaps will start there.

home health happiness on facebook has a meal plan option!

Edited by honeymommy4

• 3 months later...