Menu

Anyone using the ABLLS to help them track and move forward on skills? DS is not autistic but my Parent-to-Parent mentor recently suggested it as being helpful for her daughter.

Anyone BTDT? How does it work? Where would I get the evaluation done, or did you do it yourself? Does anyone do the web version? Any resources?

ABLLS-R is an assessment tool (a test basically) which gives a step by step idea of what level a child is at in many areas (social, responsive, basic needs, motor skills, visually, academic) so parents and teachers can track and focus on next step needs. Its often used for children with autism but can be used for developmental delays as well.

Anyone use this? Heard of it?

Love the ABLLS. :) I bought it about ten years ago and still occasionally pull it out to get ideas for IEP's and home therapy. I believe the book/testing was about $100. Having someone test her will be more expensive, however, ABLLS was designed to be user friendly.

I use the older version that is filled out by hand. I understand there is a newer computerized version, but I can only speak of the older one.

There are a series of blocks (grids) to fill in to show what your child knows. It would take a few hours to fill it out originally, depending on the areas of need.

For example, the first part of the vocal imitation section has:

Task Objective - "The student will imitate a sound when you say, "Say ____".

Question - "Can the student imitate sounds upon request?"

Examples - No examples given for this objective.

Criteria - 4 (squares) - readily and accurately imitates almost any sound, 3- 15 sounds, 2 - 5 sounds, 1 - 2 sounds

You fill in the number of squares. As you fill it out, it becomes clear where the gaps are. By looking at the criteria, you know what your next objective should be. ABLLS focuses on taking baby steps (although progress goes quickly).

Any other questions, feel free to message me. I think it's a great assessment and is tailored to each child individually.

At the time (about 10 years ago), I attended a conference and bought the books there.

My daughter attends public school. I use it to see where she's "at" and to help plan goals for the next year. I also use it when we have home therapists. It's not the main thing I use anymore, but it was very essential to us for many years.