Menu

Can kids eat rum cake?

I don't assume there's one right answer to this. :001_smile:

Rum cake is usually for adults. At the same time, I've never worried about it with my kids, and they've never gotten sloshed. :D

In a mixed crowd, I'd label it as rum cake, and then leave it up to the discretion of the parents.

My kids have eaten it, but they do not like it. The alcohol burns off like beer steaks on the grill.

No, the alcohol does not burn off. Alcohol doesn't burn off unless you ignite it.

There's a full cup of rum in the cake she's making, and I'd want to know that if my kids were around.

I don't assume there's one right answer to this. :001_smile:

Rum cake is usually for adults. At the same time, I've never worried about it with my kids, and they've never gotten sloshed. :D

In a mixed crowd, I'd label it as rum cake, and then leave it up to the discretion of the parents.

I remember eating it at some point during my childhood. My mother swears that it was my grandmother's rum cake and that it was literally soaked in rum. Apparently the adults found it quite amusing to see which kids would get tanked off of rum cake.

I figured 1/2 c in the glaze, split 16+ ways depending on how thickly the cake is sliced, wouldn't hurt anyone. I'm not morally opposed to the prospect of my child consuming a minute amount of rum. I just don't want anyone getting tipsy off of mama's cake...on Easter Sunday, no less.

The recipe I'm using calls for 1/2 c rum in the batter and another 1/2 c rum in the glaze. I'm not interested in substituting extract for the rum. Will the kiddos get sloshed if they have a slice (assuming, of course, that they like it), or is rum cake an adults only dessert?

The rum in the batter would not be an issue as the oven heat takes care of the alcohol. Do you pour the glaze on after the baking and does it contain rum? Then the rum in the glaze would be still alcoholic.

But here's the shocker: Would you believe that the cherries jubilee had the highest alcohol retention of all four recipes? Around 78 percent of the alcohol remained after the flames went out. The study's authors concluded that cooking will result in the removal of some, but not all, of the alcohol.

In the study, the extent of alcohol loss depended on a couple factors: First, how severe the heat was when applied in the cooking process; second, the pot's surface area. The bigger the pan, the more surface area, the more alcohol that evaporates during cooking.

This is excerpted from "What's Cooking?"

So... the correct answer is we don't know at what temp you are baking and what the pan's surface area is.

Wendy, I clicked on your link and saw the chart there. Truly a bummer (knowing it does not completely evaporate)!

Which is why, as an LDS person, I don't eat foods made with alcohol. No matter how many people tell me "it'll burn off when I cook it". :D

No, the alcohol does not burn off. Alcohol doesn't burn off unless you ignite it.

Yup..true. I would allow my kids to have a small piece, but the fact is, the alcohol does not burn off. I doubt they would even like the taste of it though.

I got a definite buzz at a bbq I went to when I was single because they basted the chicken in beer. (A buzz from one piece of chicken--enough that I was concerned about driving.)

Edited by gardening momma

My poor children... I think I use recipes that have me add wine 3-4 nights out of each week. :lol: The chart was news to me! I assumed a small amount of alcohol was retained but not the percentages that chart showed! Obviously I would be fine with serving the rum cake!

ETA: As to the original question, my children have never appeared buzzed at all. Several of the recipes I use call for 1-2 cups of wine in the sauce and I have never noticed any changes in myself or kids. (Maybe we are all used to it!?!)

Edited by ds4159

I let my kids eat all that stuff. The other night we had Chicken Marsala, and they loved it. But I'm firmly in the European camp that allowing them to have it as a part of life in moderation will not hurt them.

My 12 year old also drinks coffee with us every morning. ;)

That stuff doesn't even hit my radar.

Edited by justamouse

My poor children... I think I use recipes that have me add wine 3-4 nights out of each week. :lol: The chart was news to me! I assumed a small amount of alcohol was retained but not the percentages that chart showed! Obviously I would be fine with serving the rum cake!

:iagree: I'm always adding a splash to sauces and stuff.

I loved rum cake when I was little. Never got drunk from eating it. I think the amount of rum they would be getting in one slice would be quite small.

Yes, well it would be 1 Tbsp per slice if I divide the cake into 16 equal slices. The rum I purchased is 40% alcohol; each slice would have approximately 1/2 Tbsp of unaltered rum and the other 1/2 Tbsp would be about 10% alcohol.

ETA: I do cook with wine and never worried about it. I think the cake will be fine for my kiddos.

ETA: As to the original question, my children have never appeared buzzed at all. Several of the recipes I use call for 1-2 cups of wine in the sauce and I have never noticed any changes in myself or kids. (Maybe we are all used to it!?!)

When I was at that bbq party I mentioned in my previous post, I did my best to not let anyone know I was buzzed, but I sure did feel it. I don't know if you'd notice it in a kid, even if they feel it and weren't trying to conceal it (unless they're reaaally buzzed, in other words, drunk).

When I was at that bbq party I mentioned in my previous post, I did my best to not let anyone know I was buzzed, but I sure did feel it. I don't know if you'd notice it in a kid, even if they feel it and weren't trying to conceal it (unless they're reaaally buzzed, in other words, drunk).

Lol true! Plus my twins are pretty wild to begin with, I am not sure there would be a difference in behavior... :willy_nilly:

I got a definite buzz at a bbq I went to when I was single because they basted the chicken in beer. (A buzz from one piece of chicken--enough that I was concerned about driving.)

Seriously? Even if none of it burned off, how much can possibly be on one piece of chicken? Maybe 2 tablespoons, tops. That's not much alcohol. I've never heard of someone getting drunk off two tablespoons of beer.

:lol: Same here! Well, not on the frequency, but still. Yeah.