Menu

Anyone use Veritas Press self paced history courses?

michaeljenn

• 3 weeks later...

My dd *adores* the VP self-paced online history classes!!! She did MARR then NTGR and has been working on the two american history courses this year. If I know her, she'll take advantage of the free one month trial they do toward the end of the summer and do OTAE. It's the youngest of the courses. We'll probably be cycling back to ancients at that point.

Some of the points that are particularly good?

-Biblical integration

-checkpoints to make sure they're attending and not zoned out. It won't just go on and on without them doing something.

-built-in review and memory work. LOVE this.

-lots of humor. Not only are the teachers funny, but you have talking gargoyles and robots and whatnot. It's just very FUN.

-rabbit trails and interesting side stuff *I* wouldn't bring to it because I'm not a history person.

-mapping

It will tell you the literature to read, or pull together your own selections.

It has just been really good for us. For a 2nd grader like that I would definitely go into OTAE, not into one of the upper levels. It appears, at least from the samples, to be the youngest of the levels. Although you can flex them a bit, I wouldn't go so far as to put a 2nd grader in the american, kwim? Start her in OTAE and be done with it. But yes, your reasoning is correct and it will work out well. I'm not a history person, and dd is. For us, the VP online is perfect. :)

We used the OTAE self-paced class for 2nd grade. My son had great fun and learned a lot. This class has many Old Testament cards, so he got in-depth instruction into the major OT bible stories. He zoned out a lot when they were reading the Bible passages, but everything else was great. I was letting him use it semi-independently, with the goal of introducing him to the famous people/events of history.

We are using NTGR this year and have been enjoying it even more. Next year my two oldest (will be 2nd and 4th) will do MARR and I will probably register them both. There is a discount for additional students, and I think there will be less goofing off and more fun doing the games and activities if they can each do them. Now to start saving...

Oh, and we all still sing the 10 days of creation, the 12 tribes of Israel, and the 10 commandments. Those songs are catchy!

We used the OTAE self-paced class for 2nd grade. My son had great fun and learned a lot. This class has many Old Testament cards, so he got in-depth instruction into the major OT bible stories. He zoned out a lot when they were reading the Bible passages, but everything else was great. I was letting him use it semi-independently, with the goal of introducing him to the famous people/events of history.

We are using NTGR this year and have been enjoying it even more. Next year my two oldest (will be 2nd and 4th) will do MARR and I will probably register them both. There is a discount for additional students, and I think there will be less goofing off and more fun doing the games and activities if they can each do them. Now to start saving...

Oh, and we all still sing the 10 days of creation, the 12 tribes of Israel, and the 10 commandments. Those songs are catchy!

We have one registration, I put it in my 2nd grader's name. All three older children can watch the lesson and share in answering the questions. It is intended for one child to sit and answer the questions, but it's not as if the others are going to be in the room and aren't going to watch because it's interesting. :001_smile:

I'll probably add their timeline cards to our history program but I don't think I can bring myself to pay $200 per year for one class. (For grammar age no less.)

Well they run a one month trial in the fall, meaning people can decide for themselves whether it's worth the money. An older student can even complete a whole course during that month if they really book it. That's many hours a day, hehe, but my dd has done it.

Yes, it's a splurge. She's actually doing 2 courses this year, so I got the multi-child discount. It has been very good for us. I just skimp elsewhere. With a young child, absolutely I would pay that money IF it was not a strength of mine for teaching or IF that modality really worked particularly well for the dc. The VP self-paced history is exceptionally well-done. I'm not a history person, so for me it's a worthwhile investment. For a few dollars a week I'm letting someone ELSE do what I don't do very well. :)

Well they run a one month trial in the fall, meaning people can decide for themselves whether it's worth the money. An older student can even complete a whole course during that month if they really book it. That's many hours a day, hehe, but my dd has done it.

Yes, it's a splurge. She's actually doing 2 courses this year, so I got the multi-child discount. It has been very good for us. I just skimp elsewhere. With a young child, absolutely I would pay that money IF it was not a strength of mine for teaching or IF that modality really worked particularly well for the dc. The VP self-paced history is exceptionally well-done. I'm not a history person, so for me it's a worthwhile investment. For a few dollars a week I'm letting someone ELSE do what I don't do very well. :)

You're selling me on it :001_smile:

We did their free one month trial last fall. It was wonderful. I am definitely planning on trying to fit it into the budget this year. Unless they have changed it, you can go back and repeat the lessons. (so technically the kids could do it one at a time, but it only records the grade from the first one) My kids liked the memory songs well enough that I went out and bought the CDs. :)

I just wish they had a grammar/language course! :tongue_smilie:

Angela

We did their free one month trial last fall. It was wonderful. I am definitely planning on trying to fit it into the budget this year. Unless they have changed it, you can go back and repeat the lessons. (so technically the kids could do it one at a time, but it only records the grade from the first one) My kids liked the memory songs well enough that I went out and bought the CDs. :)

I just wish they had a grammar/language course! :tongue_smilie:

Angela

They do. It's called Shurley. :)

Seriously, if the repetition and gentle pace thing is calling to you, Shurley is what you want. We used it for years and it worked well for my extremely grammar phobic dd.