Menu

The single best curriculum you ever used

podoba01

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't just list a "single best curriculum" but these are all in different subject areas:

Phonics Pathway

Math-U-See (for my ADHD DD)

Mystery of History

and my oldest DD, who hates anything to do with school, LOVES Analytical Grammar. So that gets a :thumbup: as well.

Single best for different subjects

RightStart- teaches true understanding of Mathematics and requires real thinking not counting.

Phonics Road- Comprehensive with application of skills without being too slow.

HOD- open-and-go, gets done, my brain loves the boxes, I love the easy to do projects for application.

Calvert. We used it for Ani's kindergarten year in 2004 and then quit using it for a few reasons, mainly cost and my own pure phonics-only no sight words prejudice (that a dyslexic son completely cured me of). We went back to Calvert two years ago and it has been so wonderful for all my kids (and me!).

Bare in mind not all these were used by every one of my children, but when used they were enjoyed by the one using it and me.

Wordsmith Apprentice

All Apologia books

Calvert (LOVED!!!!, just too expensive. The only true open and go curriculum)

MFW Adventures

BJU Math and Phonics/Language/Reading K and 1st

Abeka Phonics

Kathryn Stout Design a Study guides

Mystery of History

Sonlight!!! It totally set the tone for our homeschool. I had ordered Abeka K for my writing and workbook HATING son. I'm so thankful we found Sonlight and sent the Abeka back. We used SL for 6 years. It was a perfect fit for my oldest. I adapted the Cores for my dd. It didn't fit my youngest at all so I sold off my Cores, but I still look back on SL with fondness.

TT Math allowed both my oldest to accelerate and still enjoy math and my middle to catch up and finally test on grade level. (It works for my youngest, too!)

CLE LA 1-8 (my 7th grade d didn't miss any multiple choice on Sat writing, Duke tip!!)

CLE Reading 4-8 (excellent literary analysis for younger grades)

CLE Math 1-7 (we will move on to algebra in 7th or 8th, very well prepared!!)

TQ history w/ WTM 4 year cycles

CLECLE Reading 4-8 (excellent literary analysis for younger grades)

I'm not that excited about CLE Reading 1st grade. (I really like the math). We are jumping over to Memoria Press for reading next year. Maybe we should revisit CLE reading in the upper grammar years?

I just switched over, but I have to say I love Oak Meadow. So gently paced, yet what they cover is done well. I thought doing 3 different syllabus would be hard but I am finally at ease and do not spend hours gathering supplies and books and writing out the plan for the week.

I also use PR. I love the way she does the phonics rules. The songs really help the kids spell a new word when they are stuck! I have learned so much as well!

I'm a new homeschooler and we're only just finishing level 1 but I love, love, love Phonics Road and plan to use all 4 levels with my DD. We've discovered through testing that she is moderately dyslexic and I doubt we would have had a successful L/A year without PR. I need the teacher-training and she needs that style of reading and spelling instruction.

Like so many others, I can't pick just one. Sorry!

• TWTM changed our lives forever. Thank you SWB and JW!
  • WWS has boosted dd's writing far beyond my expectation...and she loves it too! Again, thank you SWB!
  • TOG has brought history alive for us. What a rich experience!
  • Saxon math with DIVE (and dh for a tutor) has totally ransformed dd's math comprehension, helping her become a very different math student with confidence and success.
  • Apologia science courses have opened our eyes to the wonder of God's creation.

Hs'ing has been a wonderful adventure in our lives.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

There have been lots of good programs in each season of our homeschooling but the best would have to be:

AAS for my dyslexic kiddo

BJU Math (if you follow the TM, it cannot be beat)

Bju math is amazing!! My dd HATED math last year. Now she gets. It and likes math. The characters make it fun too!

Aas has been great for her too. She has speech issues that made spelling terrible with traditional programs. Hoping we will be ok with spelling power next year, more cost effective but if it doesnt we will go back to aas.

What do you think was the single best curriculum purchase you ever made and why?

RightStart Math. Levels A and B were the single best homeschooling investment I've ever made. It gave my daughter a wonderful foundation of mathematical thinking. It was easy to teach and fun for both of us.

I'm not that excited about CLE Reading 1st grade. (I really like the math). We are jumping over to Memoria Press for reading next year. Maybe we should revisit CLE reading in the upper grammar years?

Yes, I like it only in the older grades... We skipped for littles...

Story of the World

FLL 1 - 4

Singapore Math (I recently purchased MIF and love that even more.)

:iagree:We've gone through 1B and 2A. I tried Singapore and could not figure out how to teach it even with the HIG. MIF has made Singapore math much easier for me to teach. I don't even use the TM, hust teach straight out of the student book!

I'm glad to see someone else on here using and enjoying MIF :001_smile:

Whichever curriculum you stick to especially for reading:001_smile:

-With my son, it was TYCR100Ez lessons

-with my daughter, I really LOVE OPGTR with the flash cards, CD and magnetic board. I am not sure if I would like it as much without the extras.

For me, a curriculum is boring if I am not enthusiastic about it. I bring in stuffed animals, puppets, writing in shaving cream (salt) and a sense of humor while teaching my kiddos. Sometimes I need a break until I have "an attitude adjustment".

I try to remember the last part of the poem "perservere":

"The man who travels a mile each day will get around the world at last."

We are only on Week 6, but right now Writing With Skill is my favorite thing in the world. I love how the instructor guide follows the student guide with just the right questions to as the struggling student. It has simplified writing tremendously.

The Learnables is fabulous this year. My 8yo and 13yo learning the same material at different paces. We will be using these regularly.

I just saw this today at the store! It looks interesting. I think I might try this out.

We love FLL and WWE and plan to continue those until we no longer can.

My 5 yo dd is learning just from overhearing me teach my ds, and school feels morelike we're having a conversation rather than me sitting over him making sure he gets a wkbk page finished. LOVE!

:iagree: My K child could recite the definitions of nouns, verbs, and pronouns just from listening in on FLL 1/2 with my older child. He also listened in on our WWE lessons and could narrate quite well just from being an observer/listener.

Sonlight Core D+E has been our best purchase so far. We are sticking with Sonlight for next school year & using Core F & I have all intentions of using Sonlight for the duration with my middle two children. This is the first history program we've used & enjoyed for an (almost) entire school year. With previous programs we tried, I was feeling "burn out" by Christmas & the kiddos were getting bored. It is a great fit for us. We also use their Science Cores & plan to continue with them for the duration as well. I am hoping to be able to say that Oak Meadow will be the success story for my youngest dc. I recently purchased their Preschool Package & I'm currently reading the books & plan to implement what I learn with her ASAP.

Edited by freeindeed