Menu

7th grader not getting pre-algebra...

My 7th grader has been doing TT pre-alg since the fall. We've taken it somewhat slow so to cement in concepts. On tests or assignments that he doesn't do so well on we repeat them. Anyway, we are moving along towards that later third of the program, and he is having a lot of difficulty understanding.

Every problem practically that involves isolating the "x" I have to walk him through it. All he can tell me is that he just "doesn't understand it". I'm not sure how to progress from here. Do I just continue working on these concepts slowly, or do I look into something different? Of course I have no idea what the different thing would be, but I'm just so discouraged with his inability to do his math without me having to sit there the entire time. I don't mind sitting with my kids, but to go over the same concepts problem after problem with him grasping nothing is making me bonkers.

I would greatly appreciate encouragement or suggestions. I'm feeling very inadequate as his teacher right now and just not sure how to approach this.

Thanks...

Is there a particular concept that he's having trouble with? Is it the use of the variable or is it the use of the arithmetic concepts?

I'm not sure whether this would help, but you might look at Hands-On Equations.

If you want to try another angle, here is a list of videos for solving linear equations.

He used TT7 prior to Pre-Alg and did pretty good on that. Overall, I didn't have the problems like I'm having now.

His problems right now are linear equations. That's what he gets stuck on every time. His arithmetic is fine...does great, actually. But once we got into the different concepts associated with algebra he has slowed down his comprehension. I liked those videos so I'm going to show those to him as well. Maybe another person explaining will be helpful.

I'm just not sure if I need to be that concerned or not. If I did math according to TT curriculum he wouldn't be doing pre-alg til 8th grade, but I felt the kids could handle a bit more so they all started a grade level above when we started TT a couple of years ago. Also, that thought of TT being a grade level behind always sort of lingers in my head. :banghead:

can he do simple question like 2x+7=x+8??? if not,I will think he doesn't understand why he need to put x one side and number the other side? if that's the case. I will have him play things like hands on equation. They have a ipad application, i think.

Does he understand the x involve fraction or distribution?. If not, He might not understand the fundamental meaning of fraction or multiplication. He might able to do the calculation by plugging through the numbers. If that is the case. I will think things like LOF might help.

You might need to peel through the onion to figure out where he start get stucked

can he do simple question like 2x+7=x+8??? if not,I will think he doesn't understand why he need to put x one side and number the other side? if that's the case. I will have him play things like hands on equation. They have a ipad application, i think.

Does he understand the x involve fraction or distribution?. If not, He might not understand the fundamental meaning of fraction or multiplication. He might able to do the calculation by plugging through the numbers. If that is the case. I will think things like LOF might help.

You might need to peel through the onion to figure out where he start get stucked

He would get stuck on that simple question. He did some today with me walking him through it. I can prompt him and he can answer correctly, but I can't tell if he just knows the right answers or really gets it. He just has that blank stare when he sees the problem. He doesn't even attempt it;he just looks at the equation and assumes he can't do it. I believe he understands the fundamentals of fractions and multiplication though. Everything was fine with math until we got to linear equations...then it stopped. :confused: Now...maybe I should've added that we've recently had our school house burn where we lost everything so we were off a few weeks until I got our new TT. However, he was having probs with the linear equations before that. All of my kids seem to have an apathy since we lost our school room, which I completely understand. I just need to know where to go from here...sigh...

In that case, I'd look at HOE, as well as these other links (I found in an MM topic book, about balance equations) from this site:

algebra balance scales

algebra balance scales with negatives

:iagree::iagree:

It does seem he didn't understand why he has to put x one side and number the other. That is a easy fix. U can also look up Khan academy.

I would look at Khan Academy too. I've never used TT, so I'm not sure how they teach. It may be that the TT way just isn't clicking. I've had to use multiple methods to explain concepts until one hits at the right moment.

If he can talk through the concepts, can you make a little cheat sheet. If this, then do this...type of card.

I would not hesitate to take the time you need to master the concept. Some days you're fighting 12 year old boy brain too. They really can't remember yesterday. It does get better. :grouphug:

Try Hands On Equations. DS13 is using it this year and for the first time, problems with X make sense to him. They use pawns and dice to set up the problem on a picture of a balance scale and work from there using the "game rules"

I bought the books and manipulatives for around $35 from Rainbow Resource and I think it was the best $35 I've ever spent.

Try Hands On Equations. DS13 is using it this year and for the first time, problems with X make sense to him. They use pawns and dice to set up the problem on a picture of a balance scale and work from there using the "game rules"

I bought the books and manipulatives for around $35 from Rainbow Resource and I think it was the best $35 I've ever spent.

I bought them last night. I can't wait for them to get here. I think that'll be the fix for him..I hope!:glare:

I didn't get prealgebra either. To me the problem was on the left and to the right of the equal sign was the one right answer. What I failed to realize was that you were just trying to get the same number on both sides. The idea of using a scale is brilliant.

Once I grasped the concept that moving things around was okay as long as both sides ended up equal, then my 'D' shot up to 95 and higher every term after.

I plan on doing something similar with my 11 ds with manipulatives as soon as they get here.

I bought them last night. I can't wait for them to get here. I think that'll be the fix for him..I hope!:glare:

I'll warn you, the books feel skimpy (there's around 30 lessons), but the lessons are easily transferable to your regular math program. When DS gets stuck now doing a lesson in MUS I have him pull out the manipulatives, work through it, and then work it on the paper. It gets him straightened out every time.

Some kids (maybe many) are not conceptually ready for pre-algebra/algebra in 7th. That is normal. When they are "ready " it will be MUCH easier.

:iagree:

Ds had major problems with this type of concept in 7th. He still struggled when equations got harder doing pre-algebra in 8th. This year in 9th, algebra has been a breeze. He just wasn't ready yet. We are so glad we waited.

I would just plan another year of pre-algebra.