Menu

Total Health- Is it a one semester course? nt

I purchased the quizzes and tests. We found them to be a bit overwhelming because they would require the student to memorize as much as any biology class for some of the chapters--all the systems of the body, what they did, etc.--and fill in the blank or essay for all of this, too! There were 2 quizzes for each chapter plus the test AND review/exercises at the end of each chapter in the student book! If we had done it all, we would have really struggled to get it done in one semester. We finally did the reading and then did the tests open book since this is simply meant to fulfill a health requirement by the state and is not a science class--although it supplements Apologia well since it has the study of the body that Apologia Biology did not.

If you just read it, it would go very quickly. I found it hard to know what to do and what not to do. To be truthful with you, I'd love to take a look at ABeka's high school program...or SOS's, just because I find the book frustrating. The questions on the chapter reviews, quizzes, and tests sometime require doing the same questions over and over. Other times we had to jump through a whole different set of hoops. I could never tell which ones I should eliminate and which ones we should do! Perhaps I'll just wade through it one more time and then I will be done since this will be my last high schooler.

FWIW,

Jean

I purchased the quizzes and tests. We found them to be a bit overwhelming because they would require the student to memorize as much as any biology class for some of the chapters--all the systems of the body, what they did, etc.--and fill in the blank or essay for all of this, too! There were 2 quizzes for each chapter plus the test AND review/exercises at the end of each chapter in the student book! If we had done it all, we would have really struggled to get it done in one semester. We finally did the reading and then did the tests open book since this is simply meant to fulfill a health requirement by the state and is not a science class--although it supplements Apologia well since it has the study of the body that Apologia Biology did not.

If you just read it, it would go very quickly. I found it hard to know what to do and what not to do. To be truthful with you, I'd love to take a look at ABeka's high school program...or SOS's, just because I find the book frustrating. The questions on the chapter reviews, quizzes, and tests sometime require doing the same questions over and over. Other times we had to jump through a whole different set of hoops. I could never tell which ones I should eliminate and which ones we should do! Perhaps I'll just wade through it one more time and then I will be done since this will be my last high schooler.

FWIW,

Jean

I do agree with Jean, I have had one do Total Health and now one that requested Abeka, I just finished planning abeka today and it is a great health book. Total Health just didn't do much for me honestly, it seemed a little health lite. Dd I know thought it was boring, in fact she is still finishing it and dragging her feet.

hth

lori

My ds is using it this year. The text has 16 chapters, and the test booklet has several quizzes per chapter along with an end of chapter test. My ds will work indepedently and spend 2 weeks per chapter reading, taking the quizzes, and the tests. This will take 28 of his 36 week school year.