Menu

Which math order is best for high school?

I'm trying to plan out where we are headed in math and I need to know the advantages of the possible courses. Which of these orders to you prefer, and why do you think it's better?

A. algebra I, geometry, algebra II, trig.

B. algebra I, algebra II, geometry, trig.

C. other - please explain!

Thanks!

What an interesting question!

In high school I did algebra 1, then algebra 2, then geometry.

My kids are doing algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2.

I honestly dont' think it matters, but my kids find algebra pretty dry, so adding in a year of geometry spices things up a bit.

I believe it is the SAT that usually determines when you take geometry. You want to have completed it before taking the SAT, so if you do algebra in 9th and geometry in 10th you will have it completed when you take the

SAT. If you start a year earlier it doesn't matter what order you take them in.

in our family, I would definitely recommend doing h.s. math in this order:

Algebra I

Geometry

Algebra II & Trig.

Precalculus

Calculus

Now, I realize that some kids may well be able to handle Algebra II right after Algebra I, but I would say my kids are average to slightly above average in their math ability. For them, and I would suggest for most kids, geometry should be sandwiched in between Algebra I and Algebra II.

I had my oldest do Algebra II right after Algebra I, and it was an absolute failure. Well---she did fine for the first four chapters of the book, which were a repeat of Algebra I. Then she began to fail. No matter what we did---hours of tutoring, hiring a tutor---she just wasn't ready mentally for Algebra II. She's a bright kid, too. The year made her feel like a real failure in math.

FWIW, I attended the Association of Classical and Christian Schools conference in Atlanta, GA, last summer. I listened to Jim Nance speak on "Teaching Math Classically". Jim Nance teaches the upper-level math and logic classes at Logos School in Moscow, ID. At any rate, if I remember correctly, here was his reasoning for teaching math in the order that I listed above:

Algebra I is the foundational course; a solid understanding of algebra is necessary for all the upper level maths.

Geometry incorporates and reviews some concepts from Algebra I and introduces some concepts in trig. for solving problems involving the measurement of sides, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. I'm on a different computer and can't post a link, but you can listen to Jim Nance's talk if you access the WordMP3 website, search for Jim Nance, and then search for his message "Teaching Math Classically". What he said seemed to confirm my personal experience.

Like the poster stated above, you'll want to complete geometry before the SAT's and PSAT's, which definitely include questions covering geometry.

Algebra II and Trig. reinforce what the child has learned in Algebra I and Geometry, and prepares them for precalculus (although sometimes I see math textbooks that are labeled "Algebra II" and then "Trigonometry and Precalculus"---some of this confuses me!) and calculus.

Some kids who are more math-savvy are definitely ready for Algebra II right after Algebra I, so I have seen some that tackle math in that order and do well. However, for my girls, and perhaps for most kids, I would think that the order listed above would be better.

This is just my opinion; I know that others have used a different order and very successfully at that.