Menu

Info, please, on syllabi to accompany Gombrich's Story of Art

I've enjoyed Gombrich's Story of Art and would like to incorporate it in our upper-level art history studies. I know of two syllabi that are available for use with the book ~ one from Hewitt, the other from Oak Meadow (I think?). I can't get a clear picture as to what either contains, though. Can anyone help me out? Just wondering whether either of these are particularly helpful.

Also, I've considered using the Annotated Mona Lisa in place of or alongside Gombrich, but the book seems so choppy. Any thoughts on that?

I have the Oak Meadow Syllabus but haven't implemented it yet as plans changed. But I can maybe give you feel for its content.

It is divided into 36 lessons, although the last two are the final exam.

Other lessons have a reading assignment from Gombrich (typically a chapter but sometimes 2) plus a brief synopsis. There are 5-10 assignments, such as completing a phrase, a brief essay, vocabulary, showing an understanding of the author's intent, etc. Some lessons also include a studio assignment using very basic supplies or ask the student to take a local field trip to sketch examples of a specific architectural style.

The assumption is that there is teacher support so no answers are provided to the assignments.

HTH

I've enjoyed Gombrich's Story of Art and would like to incorporate it in our upper-level art history studies. I know of two syllabi that are available for use with the book ~ one from Hewitt, the other from Oak Meadow (I think?). I can't get a clear picture as to what either contains, though. Can anyone help me out? Just wondering whether either of these are particularly helpful.

Also, I've considered using the Annotated Mona Lisa in place of or alongside Gombrich, but the book seems so choppy. Any thoughts on that?

I have both syllabi. Last year I ended up using Hewitt's. I preferred Hewitt's because it was more of a guideline; seemed more flexible or adaptable. Hewitt breaks The Story of Art into four sections/one section per quarter, and offers lists of projects/activities, writing assignments, reports, etc. for the student to choose from. Also there are quarterly tests. No answers for the tests, but there are quarterly goals listed that are helpful for reviewing the material.

Oak Meadow is broken down into 36 lessons - lessons 35 & 36 being a final exam. The lessons are more specific as in: Read chapter xx and complete the following assignments. The assignment content may include: fill-in the blank, vocabulary, questions, sketching assignments, etc. No answers are provided as the syllabus was written for the student to mail in their work every two weeks to an Oak Meadow teacher. There is a sample lesson on Oak Meadow's web site.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing The Annotated Mona Lisa, so I can't comment. I can tell you that my sons really enjoyed Gombrich's The Story of Art.

HTH!

Thanks for your reply, Moira. Does it seem to you this would be best suited for 9th grade and beyond?

I have the Oak Meadow Syllabus but haven't implemented it yet as plans changed. But I can maybe give you feel for its content.

It is divided into 36 lessons, although the last two are the final exam.

Other lessons have a reading assignment from Gombrich (typically a chapter but sometimes 2) plus a brief synopsis. There are 5-10 assignments, such as completing a phrase, a brief essay, vocabulary, showing an understanding of the author's intent, etc. Some lessons also include a studio assignment using very basic supplies or ask the student to take a local field trip to sketch examples of a specific architectural style.

The assumption is that there is teacher support so no answers are provided to the assignments.

HTH

Good to hear from someone who can compare the two syllabi. What grade(s) were you guys in while using the Hewitt guide alongside Gombrich? Did you cover it in one school year or spread it out over a longer time frame? And (last question, I promise!), how long do you think was devoted to art history each week? Thanks so much for your help!

I have both syllabi. Last year I ended up using Hewitt's. I preferred Hewitt's because it was more of a guideline; seemed more flexible or adaptable. Hewitt breaks The Story of Art into four sections/one section per quarter, and offers lists of projects/activities, writing assignments, reports, etc. for the student to choose from. Also there are quarterly tests. No answers for the tests, but there are quarterly goals listed that are helpful for reviewing the material.

Oak Meadow is broken down into 36 lessons - lessons 35 & 36 being a final exam. The lessons are more specific as in: Read chapter xx and complete the following assignments. The assignment content may include: fill-in the blank, vocabulary, questions, sketching assignments, etc. No answers are provided as the syllabus was written for the student to mail in their work every two weeks to an Oak Meadow teacher. There is a sample lesson on Oak Meadow's web site.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing The Annotated Mona Lisa, so I can't comment. I can tell you that my sons really enjoyed Gombrich's The Story of Art.

HTH!

It is certainly aimed at the high school level, but I doubt a motivated middle schooler would have a problem with the assignments. More of a consideration is whether the Gombrich text is accessible to a younger student.

I used Artistic Pursuits, Junior High for that age range. My dds liked it a lot.

HTH

I looked at the Oak Meadow link, but I'm not seeing what info in the high school study of art section is directly pertinent to Gombrich's work. Am I missing something? Thanks!:)

Under the Quick Download section click on "High School" for the samples. It will bring you into a pdf file over 200 pages long. The sample pages for Gombrich would be pp. 175-179 -- Table of Contents for the syllabus and a sample lesson.

Good to hear from someone who can compare the two syllabi. What grade(s) were you guys in while using the Hewitt guide alongside Gombrich? Did you cover it in one school year or spread it out over a longer time frame? And (last question, I promise!), how long do you think was devoted to art history each week? Thanks so much for your help!

My sons were grades 10 & 12. We completed the study in one school year. Reading/study time approximately 1-2 hours per week depending on the reader. Time for work on projects, reports, etc. varies depending on what the student chooses.

IMHO not an overwhelming study, but certainly a high school level - full 1 year course. Completely adaptable with the list of various activities to choose from.

If you have more questions, ask away and I'll try to answer them for you.

HTH!

Obviously not a syllabus - but just an FYI in case your library has this course...

The instructor of this Teaching Company Course references Gombrich's Story of Art in its Supplementary Reading suggestions at the end of the appropriate lectures. (Along with many others - including Janson's History of Art) The course is chronological so it does eventually work through all of Gombrich... and beyond. :001_smile:

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=7150

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I looked at the Oak Meadow link, but I'm not seeing what info in the high school study of art section is directly pertinent to Gombrich's work. Am I missing something? Thanks!:)

Hi Colleen,

This might be a better link; it is a pdf file so be aware of that.

http://www.oakmeadow.com/curriculum/overviews/hsov.pdf

If you search for Gombrich, you'll be taken to the breakdown for the Study of Art syllabus which includes a sample lesson. Or you can just scroll down to page 171.

Regards,

Kareni

In Sr. High, dd#1 used Gombrich along with Oak Meadow SG and thoroughly enjoyed it. She took her first college Art History class last fall during her first year of college and the class was a breeze for her; she easily made an 'A'.

If you want this to be your dc's last Art History class for high school, Gombrich with Oak Meadow is more than adequate. I don't know if Hewitt's SG is written at a higher, lower or same learning level because I haven't seen it. Annotated Mona Lisa is basically a glorified time line of art history, IMO.

Fwiw- Dd has declared a major in Poli-Sci but is thinking of minoring in Art History.

The more I've thought about it, the more I've realized this isn't a pressing issue for the upcoming year. I'd thought perhaps about doing it this fall, but my son (oldest) will be a young 8th grader. I think a thorough study of art history using Gombrich as our spine will be best reserved until high school ~ perhaps 9th or 10th grade. I was likely jumping the gun because I enjoy the subject so much myself.:) Now that it's on my mind, though, I'm going to try and look at both syllabi so I can have a rough plan in mind for the future. Thanks for your input!

Colleen,

I am using the History of Art as a four year text, the same way I use Western Civ. My students are assigned chapters to read, I give them some of the questions/assignments from the Oak Meadow Syllabus/Study Guide. The parents (I teach in a co-op) and I are both happy that Art History is being covered at all, and this way it isn't too much additional work - Rhetoric level can be kind of intimidating and I go for "introducing" the texts, rather than diving deep.

Just a thought.

Greetings from south Seattle

Kate

Be sure and pre-read the Gombrich book, too. My artsy dd had a pretty negative reaction to it. It's small print and often challenging vocabulary and sentence structure.

I've not read the book cover-to-cover, but have enjoyed what I've read. I do think it would be too challenging for my son just yet, but I anticipate it'll be a good fit later. Thanks, Laurel!

I am using the History of Art as a four year text, the same way I use Western Civ. My students are assigned chapters to read, I give them some of the questions/assignments from the Oak Meadow Syllabus/Study Guide. The parents (I teach in a co-op) and I are both happy that Art History is being covered at all, and this way it isn't too much additional work - Rhetoric level can be kind of intimidating and I go for "introducing" the texts, rather than diving deep.

Yes, I doubt we'd devote enough time to art history to cover the text/syllabus in a standard school year. I was thinking of spreading it out over a couple of years, but your approach sounds good, too. Thanks, kate!