Menu

Foerster's and Life of Fred Algebra

I found a set of Foerster's Algebra with the solutions manual and skills practice for $10 (but no TM). So, I figured my Algebra choice for next year was done. However, this summer the girls have been going through LOF Fractions and Decimals just for a bit or review and to keep the brain from getting summer freeze-up, IYKWIM.

They both love LOF! So now I'm thinking that maybe I should use LOF Algebra. So my question is, should I: 1) drop Foerster's altogether, 2) forget about Fred, 3) use LOF as a supplement to Foerster's, or 4)Foerster's as a supplement to Fred? If I do use both, does anyone have any suggestions on how to supplement one with the other?

We used LOF and Foerster's for Alg II. Our unscientific method was to go thru Foerster's until he didn't get it, then find the corresponding chapter in LOF for a different explanantion. It usually worked. We occasionally did the chapter in LOF and then the chapter test in Foerster.

I compared the two and LOF has everything but the chapters are in a different order. LOF is light on practice but a) some kids don't need all that much practice and b) you can get the companion kit, with extra problems.

DS wasn't really into Fred's life story, so going out of order wasn't a problem.

If your dc "love LOF," I'd recommend going through Fred and looking for extra problems in Foerster. Enthusiasm is worth the effort.:001_smile:

If your dc "love LOF," I'd recommend going through Fred and looking for extra problems in Foerster. Enthusiasm is worth the effort.:001_smile:

Hoo boy, do :iagree: !!! If your kid loves something, work with it :)

Karen