Menu

Hooked on Phonics - updating older set?

sparkygirl

A family friend has given us the complete Hooked on Phonics set for DD which we will not start using for another couple of years. The set is the level 1-5 hooked on phonics learn to read with all of the flash cards, story books, and map with Cassette tapes.

How much has the program changed over the years? Looking at the set we have it looks like there is only one volume for each level not two as shown on current website. If it worth buying the DVDs or should we just stick with the cassettes and hope they work? We still have a cassette player.

I have the older version . not cassette but this

hop old

And when we start 2nd grade books (green/blue) I found the story is weak for 2nd grade so I looked at the new series. I thought the book looks a bit more complicated and interesting, so I got the new series form here

To compare the 2. I like the story book as well as the workbook stories better in new series. The book is on par to 2nd grade level and the stories in the workbook has a story for each sound it introduced. However, I like how the sound introduced and reviewed in old book better. There are more words for each sound and review not only have the new words but also words from pervious session.

So what I did is using the old workbook to introduce the sound and review and we do all the stories in both old and new hop. We move a lot slower than when we were in 1st grade. But DD loves the little funny stories, so I really don't care how fast we are moving.

Edited by jennynd

I briefly looked at an older set of HOP at Goodwill the other day. I was glad we have the new sets. The design alone would compel me to buy the new sets. There no longer are flash cards. If those were for the helper words (a.k.a. sight words), those have now been incorporated in the "workbooks" and DVD. DD likes watching the DVD and I think it does a good job of introducing the new word families, blends, etc.

A typical HOP lesson goes likes this:

1 - Watch DVD, which introduces new word families, blends, etc.

2 - Sound out/read new words

3 - Review new words and words from previous lessons

4 - Read mini story or reader

Sometimes, they introduce a set of helper words in the "workbook" and on the DVD. At the end of each unit, there is a review of that unit's lessons and a reader to read.

That's really all I can contribute.

We have the new set....and I have one level of the old. The new books are more engaging and colorful. But the old set seems to have more to do. More activities. I read a few years back, when they made the last update, that some parents preferred the old version for that reason. Our experience with HOP is that it is VERY repetitive. If you don't care to upgrade, you could combine the sets (the teaching order is just slightly off between old and new...but you could easily match it up).

I have the older version . not cassette but this

hop old

this is the one i have as well. i used levels k, 1, and 2 with both of my kids. i loved this set personally. both of my kids adored the books and it was completely painless to teach. my son just finished grade 2 and is now in HOP master reader (which i also recommend). he reads fabulous.

i say stick with what you have. it is easy to teach. i never used the cd's in my set, so i wouldn't bother with the cassettes either. that's just me though.:001_smile:

We are using the old school hooked on phonics with tapes. We were given it for free when my son was younger. It was never used. We had a hard time finding a tape player, lol. My son is not fond of the tapes so I will often go over the sounds with him instead of using the tape. We are on the last level now, and my son is reading well. He is always so excited to finish a box. The readers improve as the levels go on in m opinion.

I taught my kids to read using the old set without using the tapes, just like pp. both of theam read well at 5 yo. The steps are the same... Imho if you have it already, it would works. English is not even my first language, but my kids are readers. The key is being consistent and let them read... Read... And read :)