Menu

seek advice in advanced math

Guest valerie7

Guest valerie7

My child is entering 11th grade and has completed Algebra II in 9th grade and Euclidean Geometry in 10th grade in school. She forgot a lot of algebra, did not cover trigonometry, and has insufficient knowledge of modern geometry. Regardless of what she will do in 11th grade, I want her to take on a program at home to start during the Summer and to continue during the school year, that will allow her to fill in the gaps and give her the foundation she needs for the SAT. She is a good and motivated student but math does not come intuitively. She works hard and she gets it, if clearly explained and well organized. Which program/book do you recommend? Thanks.

Lial's is solid and would review sufficiently and get her prepared for Calc in 12th.

Also, I had a thread earlier this week (or on the weekend or something) about dd's math SAT not being as high as we'd like. It was suggested that we get a good SAT prep (Chalkdust SAT Math) to get that up and just keep going math wise.

HTHs,

Guest valerie7

Thanks Pamela.

I am not familiar with Lial. Which book are you refering to? Does it include algebra, geometry, and trigonometry?

Valerie

ALEKS is great for filling in the gaps. I've not seen the geometry portion, but my dd used ALEKS to review Alg. I last summer and my ds reviewed Alg. II. You could always try to one-month free trial -- which was all my dd needed. I paid for a few months for ds (aka the foot-dragger).

HTH,

Lisa

Purely for SAT math preparation, I too recommend the Chalkdust SAT math review DVDs. My teen found them valuable as a focused review.

(She used Lial's Beginning and Intermediate Algebra separated by a year with Jacobs' Geometry. This past year she did College Algebra and Trigonometry at the local community college using Sullivan's Pre-Calculus. Next year, AP Statistics through PA Homeschoolers.)

Regards,

Kareni

Valerie,

Sorry...You could get either Lial's PreCalc or the Lial's College Algebra and Trigonometry.

I do want to second the Alek's though. It might be helpful to go through that first, maybe "prep to college algebra" or if they have an Algebra II (not remembing right off hand what all they have). Homeschoolers get the first month FREE!