Menu

What's better, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons or The Ordinary Parents Guide.

I taught my son to read pretty well with TYCR 100 easy lessons. He is doing a beka phonics this year for kindergarten in a Classical Christian school. He is in the highest reading group and reading pretty fluently.

All that to say, I bought OPGTR for my daughter and to help my son to go from a 2nd grade reading level to 4th grade level. I am on lesson 6 with my 3.5 year old and lesson 77 with my 6 year old ds (skipping around to fill in the holes).

OPGTR is much more gentle and systematic than TYCR....which I like

Edited by cabreban

OPG is better, hands down, imo.

We owned a copy of 100EZ lessons and ditched it once OPG came out.

OPG is deeper, broader, and more visually appealing.

I agree. I just started OPG and like it alot better and 100 EZ lessons. I did get it from my library to check it out.

:)

Lynn

I agree with everyone else! 100EZ brought tears, confusion and frustration for us.

OPG gives thoroughness in a very simple, uncluttered format.

(Of course different things work well for different families; I'm not saying 100 EZ is "bad" or "wrong.")

:iagree: I am on my 4th time through Opgr with youngest dd. I stared with 100EZ Lessons and then used PP. Once OPGtR came out, I sold the others. I know some don't like the script and the font, but I dont read the script, I just teach the lesson. Sometimes we read from the book, sometimes I write out the sentences to read on a whiteboard or an index card. OPGR take dc through 4th grade reading level, the others are no so complete.

I just bought 100EZL from Amazon, and I'm returning it (if I haven't waited too long already - grr). It does not start with all short vowel sounds. Instead, it introduces words like me, see, meat, and eat right at the beginning. :confused: I've been teaching the kids short vowel sounds with starfall.com and the Nora Gaydos series, so 100EZL might confuse them (my younger daughter in particular) at this point in their learning.

I've only seen the previews of OPGTTR, but I think it will be much better in its sequence. I plan to order it next month.

Edited by mudboots

To me they are both them same, BUT wait till I have finished writing :tongue_smilie:

The Ordinary Parents guide, 100EZ, Alphaphonics & Phonics Pathways are all the same in that they are taking the no frills, one simple book drill approach. So if this is the approach you are after, then these are the main books to choose from.

Each one slightly differs in their "Script", fonts and writing styles.

The Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading wins hands down to me. I tried this with my daughter, and it wasn't for her (we then moved on to ETC, which also isn't for her lol, we are trying AAR this year *cross your fingers for us*)

But even if it ends up not being used for the lessons as your curriculum, it is still super helpful for ideas, and how to help your child to read. Even though we no longer use it for our phonics, I use it as a reference tool, and I even recommend it to those using other programs.

HTH xx

We use both and like them both.

For 100EZ, that's what we started with and my almost 6yoDS likes it, and *strongly* resists OPG for now. We do modify the 100EZ quite a bit-- once you get the hang of it, you really don't need to bother with the script. We don't do any of the writing and we skipped over the rhyming & say-it-slow things at the beginning. At first, I was trying to stick to the script and do everything and it was not a pleasant experience for anyone. But now that we just do what we need, it's going really well and he's almost done and reading things on his own very well. He will be switching over to OPG to start where 100EZ leaves off, since the 100EZ isn't as comprehensive.

For 3yo and 4yo DDs, they are working through OPG and like it just fine. They both *strongly* resist 100EZ.

So my son is doing well with 100EZ and my girls are doing well with OPG. In our experience it depends on your individual kids and also on how/what you use from either resource.

HTH

I'm glad to hear so many like OPG. We tried 100 EZ Lessons and HATED it. I didn't like that some words were spelt phonetically and my 4 1/2 yr. old would ask me if that was how you spelt the word and I would have to say no! I've been nervous about OPG, but I'm definitely going to give it a try now. Thank you!

I'm glad to hear so many like OPG. We tried 100 EZ Lessons and HATED it. I didn't like that some words were spelt phonetically and my 4 1/2 yr. old would ask me if that was how you spelt the word and I would have to say no! I've been nervous about OPG, but I'm definitely going to give it a try now. Thank you!

Just to clarify, I don't think any words are spelled phonetically. There are a couple lessons titled Say The Sounds where it may appear that way, but those are just lessons in, well, saying the sounds.:)

People seem to either love 100EZL or hate it. I :001_wub: it. I do move on to PP after 100EZL because it does not complete phonics instruction. I also agree that it depends on the child. I do not think 100EZL is going to work for child #3.

I have both books but used neither as scripted - 100EZ gave me an idea of how to teach blending to a 2.5 year old though I never used the book - I just blended for at at faster and slower rates til she could do it herself. I did not like that they taught funny spellings for long vowels before returning to normal spelling.

I got a lot of use out of OPGTR starting with a 3.5 year old. I however only used the word lists as I find phonetic readings very stilted and lacking in meaning. It did however show me a good order for teaching phonics - we have reached about lesson 101 and my DD is reading a lot now so I pick up the parts she missed when she reaches a word she can't yet sound out - then I pull the word lists for her from the relevant section and teach the rule. The format of OPGTR would have taken too long for my very busy child who wanted to read meaningful books without long teaching sessions.

I own 100EZ and OPGR. Of those two, I prefer OPGR, but I like Phonics Pathways better. I don't hate 100EZ, it just didn't work for my kids, they were like :001_huh: and pitched a fit every time the book came out. I'm using a combo of PP and Hooked on Phonics with DS (6). I did download Funnix when it was free and he's been doing a couple lessons/week with that and I like it for the way it teaches blending.

I taught DD with a combo of PP and HOP, her reading really took off when she was 7(almost 8) and we did a couple months of Webster's speller and lists of nonsense words.

I was recently researching my options and did briefly look at 100 Easy. I am in Canada and since my library does not carry OPG or 100 Easy Lessons, I had to use online preview pages. I was not impressed that I could not even find the table of contents for 100 Easy Lessons :glare:. With OPG I was able to preview the table of contents (this was what sold me on OPG, it follows the sequence I am looking for) and sample lessons. 100 Easy does not meet the phonics approach I am looking for, judging by the very few sample lessons they provide online. Another thing that sold me on OPG is, even though it is scripted (which I usually avoid but have seen the value of using it recently, for working on auditory skills with children that are predominantly visual), it is easily made visual and tactile, especially if you also use the other materials with it. Even if you don't though, you can always make it highly visual with a whiteboard and whatever letters you have around the house (or by making flash cards). It covers the sequence I choose to follow and caters to all modalities. It also includes syllabication, which was another thing I looked for. It looks solid to me :).

We started with OPG, actually got about 1/2 done, but after about two weeks of dd nearly crying when I brought it out, I borrowed 100EZ to try. Since we were that far through OPG, she is flying through 100EZ, but more importantly, she actually asks for more. After her being so upset having to use OPG, this is a great improvement for her, and I do not want her to view learning to read as drudgery. My current plan is to use 100EZ until she gains a little more confidence, then add OPG back in 2-3 times per week as I believe it teaches more phonics at a greater depth. However, that plan can change! :tongue_smilie:

• 2 weeks later...
We started with OPG, actually got about 1/2 done, but after about two weeks of dd nearly crying when I brought it out, I borrowed 100EZ to try. Since we were that far through OPG, she is flying through 100EZ, but more importantly, she actually asks for more. After her being so upset having to use OPG, this is a great improvement for her, and I do not want her to view learning to read as drudgery. My current plan is to use 100EZ until she gains a little more confidence, then add OPG back in 2-3 times per week as I believe it teaches more phonics at a greater depth. However, that plan can change! :tongue_smilie:

This has been similar to our experience. My son initially learned to read with OPG, but has had trouble moving past cvc words and it is painful to teach from OPG. I checked out 100 EZ lessons because a friend of mine used it and her 5 year old is reading at a 2nd grade level currently. My son thus far is much more receptive to the 100 EZ book. He likes teh say it fast and say it slow games. His speech isn't great so this is kind of allowing me to break down words and sounds a little more for him and for him to practice his pronunciation. I may have to update after we spend more time with it. I just know OPG is tedious and wordy for us.

We started with OPG and switched to 100EZ. IMO the sentences and stories in OPG are not very interesting to the average 4 or 5 YO. They're stilted and silly. I don't like them myself. DD liked the stories in 100EZ much better, and she really liked the picture that goes with each story. I did modify it. I keep trying to motivate myself to have her go through the 2nd half of OPG to make sure she gets the more advanced phonics that 100EZ doesn't cover, but it is not getting done just because I don't like the sentences and stories.

If possible, look thru both yourself, either from the library or at a bookstore. I know it's heresy to say it here, but I can't stand OPG -- too much busywork feel, not as easy to adapt. I'm on my third child with 100EL, 3 very different kids, and it's great (for us). The blending from day #1 is really important to me -- why spend years trying to teach kids to blend later? Plus it's just easier to HEAR the word when you sound it out slowly, building it phonetically. The phenotype takes some getting used to, but I think it works. If your child starts to struggle, back up a week of lessons. Follow the "script" to start, but don't feel bound to it as you go on. It's very easy to adapt.

I don't think there is one right answer, each has pros/cons. I think both will work and is solid. At the end of 100EL your dc WILL be reading at a solid 2nd grade level (and 200 words/page which I love because it also teaches the eye tracking and comfort with word-laden pages, so they are ready for easy chapter books). At the end the kids were fearless/confident readers, so building from there was easy.

As to not enough phonics -- it's plenty for the natural speller/reader, but you can follow up with PR/RR or ETC or similar if you want to reinforce phonics rules (I did for my 2nd because of speech issues).

Again though, the best programs the one that works for you. ;)

ETA: my ins dd loved the 100EL stories so much I copied them into her own little "reader" and she STILL reads from it several times a week (she finished 100EL over a year ago).

We really, really disliked OPG (I'm about to sell our virtually unused copy). We used Reading Made Easy and preferred it over 100EL. Similar idea, but much better layout and sequence IMO. We didn't so the drawing activities and didn't always use the copywork. My son has done really well with it.

:iagree:

I used 100EZ with my daughter and was very frustrated at the lack of phonics instruction. OPG IS truly deeper and broader, a much more complete program.

to Teaching Reading?

WTM recommends The Ordinary Parents Guide, but I've heard good things about 100 Easy Lessons.

Is 100 Easy Lessons considered to be part of the Classical approach?

Thanks

Erin

Whichever one works for you and your child. Whenever you're checking the library, look for Phonics Pathways, too.

As long as you teach your child to read using phonics, you'll be good to go :001_smile:.

We used 100 EZ with dd and it worked well. She is a natural at decoding, grammar, and spelling. She is mechanically minded and understands patterns well. She began teaching herself to read at 20 months.

Now, ds is highly narrative, artistic, and his comphrehension level is very high for 5, about 6-7 grade. He is incredibly auditory. However, his decoding skils are average 5-6 yr old. He is reading level 1 readers, but OPGR is a perfect fit.

For him, there will be less of a transition with picture books. His idea/goal of reading is chapter books, history, etc. OPGR will accomplish that goal for him.

I think both books are fine, it really has to do with how your child learns.

Incidentally, if you want to do 100 Easy Lessons but still get some of the more systematic phonics in, there are tons of apps for iDevices (we LOVE the Preschool University apps, which are free) and of course Readingbear.org. I own both OPGTR and 100EZ, and didn't really love either. We wound up doing parts of OPGTR and Phonics Pathways, as well as Funnix, but modified, alongside other things (I See Sam books, iPad apps, etc.) For now we are done with Funnix and have completed 6 of the 8 sets from 3rsplus.com, but I appreciate having something like OPGTR to reference for some upper-level stuff now that we're in the more advanced phonics stage. (Mid 2nd grade level I'd guess.)

To me they are both them same, BUT wait till I have finished writing :tongue_smilie:

The Ordinary Parents guide, 100EZ, Alphaphonics & Phonics Pathways are all the same in that they are taking the no frills, one simple book drill approach. So if this is the approach you are after, then these are the main books to choose from.

Each one slightly differs in their "Script", fonts and writing styles.

The Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading wins hands down to me. I tried this with my daughter, and it wasn't for her (we then moved on to ETC, which also isn't for her lol, we are trying AAR this year *cross your fingers for us*)

HTH xx

I was looking at the ages of your kids, and wanted to say that at first we thought that OPGTR was not "for us" either, but when my DD turned 6 I brought it back out and she had no recollection of hating it, thought it was easy, and actually likes it now, and is soaring through it. She simply was not ready to take it all in. Now she is and is reading like a champ. She will be 7 in May.