Menu

Computer Programming Curr Question

We are considering the following curriculum - if you have experience with either one (or both) we'd appreciate any feedback.

I have it narrowed down to two:

1. Beginning Microsoft Small Basic + Programming Kid Games with Microsoft Small Basic, by Computer Science for Kids (http://computerscienceforkids.com)

2. KidCoder by Homeschool Programming (http://www.homeschoolprogramming.com)

I want something that is fun but also lays a strong foundation for logical thinking.

Blessings,

Angela

DS11 is about halfway through KidCoder first semester (Visual Basic windows programming) and we are pretty happy with both the skills and concepts aspects f the program. Looking ahead, the next three parts (KidCoder game programming, then TeenCoder parts 1&2) look just as good.

The support for the purchase through homeschool buyers coop has been terrific, too.

I like your second choice, but I think that Scratch would teach him more of how to use the language logic and give him results to experience, which is very important. You have to grasp the logic. I am not so sure that a .net language is the best place to start. Just my opinon. :) Everybody has one. Unless they dive into heavy application design, he will see little result. Unlike with Alice, which has a book that teaches you to develop a 3D world while teaching you syntax and logic that carry over to object oriented languages on the level of VB or C++, or even F#.

I have some resources in my blog, but here is a great free resouce too.

Free resources for Alice.

So, my first pick for beginner languages would be Scratch and Alice!

We actually spent the first half of the year with Alice before starting KidCoder, and I would agree that that is a very good introduction (as is Scratch). I even had him use Alice to create some short videos to illustrate his ancient history lessons. Woohoo-- cross-curricular!

• 3 months later...
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to ask: If the parent is programming illiterate, would those of you that recommended Scratch say that the would be easy for a dc to do on their own or should I stick with Kid Coder?

Scratch and Alice are pretty friendly for the kid to figure out.

KidCoder is also reasonable for a motivated kid of at least 10-11 years to handle on his own; however I do recommend in that case using the included quizzes to check the concepts learned in each chapter. It does come with an answer key module (fully worked out code) to help him debug, and a chapter lesson on debugging. I see they just released video lessons.

As we get farther into KidCoder, I see some good skills coming along, but am starting to wonder about the mastery of basic programming ideas such as why commenting and naming variables and routines matter. I might want to see a kid using KC take a summer camp or other program with a live instructor at some point if they don't have a compu-literate parent.

I do like that the KC series will walk them through VB, C++, Java, and Android programming.

• 1 month later...

I would not go Java, just FYI. Java is old and fat for a programming language. In short, it is the reason the computer is infested with viruses. Now, it is best used with another language, such as JavaScript on a web page, but JS is not Java truly either.

If your dc is ready for an advanced language, I would encourage .Net languages and web languages like XML with CSS and HTML5. :) They would enjoy them much, much more.

I like your second choice, but I think that Scratch would teach him more of how to use the language logic and give him results to experience, which is very important. You have to grasp the logic. I am not so sure that a .net language is the best place to start. Just my opinon. :) Everybody has one. Unless they dive into heavy application design, he will see little result. Unlike with Alice, which has a book that teaches you to develop a 3D world while teaching you syntax and logic that carry over to object oriented languages on the level of VB or C++, or even F#.

I have some resources in my blog, but here is a great free resouce too.

Free resources for Alice.

So, my first pick for beginner languages would be Scratch and Alice!

Thank you for this. :)

:bigear:

I would not go Java, just FYI. Java is old and fat for a programming language. In short, it is the reason the computer is infested with viruses. Now, it is best used with another language, such as JavaScript on a web page, but JS is not Java truly either.

If your dc is ready for an advanced language, I would encourage .Net languages and web languages like XML with CSS and HTML5. :) They would enjoy them much, much more.

One thing to keep in mind: AP Computer Science is in Java. So if your kids might be interested in taking that test, having some background in Java would help. Just something to add to the list of pros and cons for different languages.

my teen is working through 'scratch programming for teens' - its actually a bit too easy for him, i will probably give it to my youngest for the following year when he's 10. I love scratch (and i program some) but my husband, who is much more advanced than I am, doesnt . . .not sure why. partly he hated the visual aspect of it - he hates bright colors and doesn't always 'get' things which are supposed to be intuitive. He also felt like the kids didnt need to learn that much . . . that they would have more fun with a game-building app. but i think its a good foundation

A lot of students will touch Java as a foundation for Jscript and JavaScript for web programming, which are on their way out too. The evolution of computer languages is great. :) Take a look at F# and HTML5.

I would not mess with it at all unless you plan to take the AP CS test. And, even then, I would not make it your language of study. I would make it a subset of the cumulative resources that you use so that you understand and have a firm grounding in logic leaving only the Java syntax to master for the test. :) That will make it tons easier. As a matter of fact, a more closer related language that has more use and benefit with ASP.Net is C# or VB. :) VB is often not so Greek to newbie programmers too.

A lack of programming logic will hurt you on that test.

FYI, syntax in PC language is like saying punctuation in grammar. :)

Yes, I know ... shut up now. I can see you rolling your eyes. I love computers <sigh> ... they were my first dates!