Menu

matthew Effect/dropping IQ

In the thread about MR I learned about the matthew effect aka dropping IQ levels. THis has happened with ds13. The article linked explained that this drop occurs when there is a LD that is going unremediated. SO my question then becomes if you are seeing this effect how do you find the right work to remediate it and bring the IQ back up? I certianly don't want to be accused of educational neglect due to this effect and yet that charge has been brought against schools of children who have experienced it.

I am placing an order through linguisystems this week. Whatelse? What other companies/items have you found work really well with your kids.

We do not have a full Dx on ds13 yet, currently we are looking at severe ADHD, auditory processing disorder, conduct disorder, sensory issues and a mood disorder. None of them should be causing this effect BUT I suspect he is actually on teh spectrum, either Aspergers or close enough. He reads but limits himself to graphic novels and children's illustrated editions (for example he is reading a children's version of Moby Dick this week), We use a literature based program but we spend A LOT of time working on comprehension, inferencing, foreshadowing, flashbacks etc because he can't keep track. We listen to audiobooks daily and I am forever pausing them and explaining what is going on. THis is the kid that does not "get" jokes, or sarcasm, etc.

He is delayed in math, he is making progress but is several grade levels below. Having him write more than a sentence is like torture to him, we do copywork and dictation and lapbooking, but actual composition is at a stand still for the most part.

I am going to buy the EF books and the auditory processing game form LS, but what else can one do to stop teh drop in IQ points and remediate weak areas?

From my quick read of the article, it appears that there is no actual change in the child's abilities or brain function as a result of this "effect." Instead, it is a testing performance issue.

For instance, if your child learned math through addition, but never received further math instruction, he might test quite well on a K-level math test but terribly on a 5th grade exam. Now, the child is no less intelligent or able to learn in 5th grade than in K, but he has not been taught higher math and thus cannot pass the test.

The impression that I got from the article is that to parents of children in public school, this failure to maintain performance levels on IQ tests over time may be seen as evidence that the school system is failing to address the child's underlying learning disability. There is no reduction in ability on the part of the child, but a failure to keep the child "up to speed" from year to year. The theory being that if the child were remediated (the LD addressed adequately) then he would be able to perform at age level for each subsequent IQ test.

The K IQ test is not going to assume the child can read and the questions will be geared toward a non-reader. An IQ test for a 12 year-old is going to assume a certain reading skill/life experience level and be worded accordingly. You will see the same issue come up with regard to standardized testing- the tests assume a certain level and/or type of skill and life experience that may vary from child to child thus swaying the results.

Basically, to stop the effect, you would need to either remove/remediate the LD, or use a test that accomodates that LD. Make sense?

Don't worry about the article. My DS was tested at aged 8 and 11. Prior to his 2nd eval, I was told to expect a decrease. I was also told that half of the WISC-IV isn't a very good picture of intelligence anyways. My son's verbal comprehension increased by 5 pts and abstract reasoning fell. He's the same kid.

From the article :

When children with disabilities do not receive adequate remediation, they read less – and learn less from reading - than non-disabled children. Because some IQ sub-tests measure information learned from reading, poor readers will score lower on these sub-tests. Over years, the "gap" between poor readers and good readers grows.

I've read a fair amount on the Matthew Effect in my readings on dyslexia. We may avoid the "Matthew Effect" by teaching the child to read AND make sure that teaching methods for all subjects include methods beyond just reading and auditory processing, including helpful methods for children with learning disorders, such as "hands-on" activities. Familiarity with the subject matter (through outside interest and/or hands on activities) helps with reading and often with auditory comprehension too.

For the first several years of school, the schools traditionally teach reading and the methods for learning other subjects often include hands on activities. After that, they assume the child can read. Instruction then relies heavily on reading and auditory processin skills, (and hands on activities usually drop off dramatically.) If the child has a learning disability, the child may fall behind--and the gap continues to widen as the child falls further and further behind. In the case of a dyslexia, even once the child reads, reading may continue to be slow and laborious.